Golden

Chapter 15

December 2017- Vail, CO

The past few months had been a complete whirlwind. I had spent most of November in Europe training, along with a few meetings at Nike headquarters in Beaverton to work on commercials for the Olympics with other athletes. I had turned 22 in Europe. Initially, I figured it would be another birthday that I spent with acquaintances at a club or with my team out for dinner. But Nate had somehow convinced Kathy to come out and visit me for my birthday. Opening my hotel room door to find Kathy holding flowers and a MacKinnon jersey early on the morning of my birthday was unreal. I had filmed one of my training runs that day wearing Nate’s jersey over my race suit. That video went on all of my social media outlets. Since the NBC documentary following me had aired, the whole world knew I was dating Nathan MacKinnon. So, there was no reason to completely avoid the topic on social media and I had begun to embrace it instead.

Then, at the start of December, my World Cup season had begun. I had been in Canada at Lake Louise for the first three days of the month for downhill and super g events. Both Kathy and Graham had come to Lake Louise to watch me ski. I had posted an Instagram post with both of them after I took second on the downhill the first day, third the second day, and third on the super g. The comments from Nate’s teammates and their girls had made my day. He had been taking crap about them preferring to see me ski over him play ever since. It wasn’t the start I had wanted, but it was still decent enough to be on the podium at each of the three events.

Next, I had flown to St. Moritz, Switzerland. What was expected to be two super g races had turned into just one super g race because of poor visibility. Unfortunately, that one race I had missed a gate. I had gotten a decent start but still needed to keep up to make the Olympic team.

Lindsey had joined me in Val d’Isere, France for the next event. The first Down Hill race was rescheduled for January after the trainings were canceled. However, we were able to get two Super G events in on back to back days. Lindsey dominated the first day and the two of us came in 1-2. The next day, Lindsey wasn’t feeling great and didn’t compete. I was able to get my first win since before my knee surgery. It was the perfect way to end 2017. I spent the next day in France getting all of my gear together and recovering before I spent 13 hours the next day traveling back to the states. Throughout all of my competitions, Jackson had been following me around to get material for my Facebook page that he ran. He had become my personal PR person for media requests and a little shadow reminding me to tweet and interact with fans. A break from him was going to be nice.

Currently, I was face timing Nate from the comfort of my own bed in Vail. Circles beneath my eyes, glasses on, and hair a wild mess. But at least I was back. Of course, the NHL schedule meant Nate left Colorado the day before I had returned for LA and Phoenix. All I wanted was to cuddle up next to him in person. Facetime was great, but for the past two months, we hadn’t physically seen each other. Until he got back, I was catching up on sleep and recovering from jet lag in my Vail home and preparing the house for Christmas with the MacKinnon’s.

On the 23rd, I spent the morning out on the mountain in Vail training with Lindsey. By 1, we both called it a day. I returned to my place where I would be meeting a physical therapist who would do dry needling and help me recover. Come night time, I watched Nate play in Arizona on tv and fell asleep after shooting him a good game text. The next morning, I woke up to my doorbell ringing. The MacKinnon’s were here to celebrate Christmas. We had agreed to celebrate on Christmas Eve and Day in Vail before all of us would go to Denver for the team’s family skate on the 26th and the game on the 27th. I hadn’t expected to sleep in as much as I had. It was already 10. I guess the jet lag was still hitting me. Quickly pulling on leggings and throwing a Nike beanie and crewneck Nike sweater on I headed downstairs to let them in before they froze in the snow.

The dogs rushed into my house first, while Graham, Kathy, and Sarah all greeted me with hugs before finding their ways to the same guest rooms they had stayed in over the summer. As soon as they were upstairs, I turned my attention to Nate. It had been a long two months without seeing each other in person. What I had intended to be a short kiss had turned into my legs wrapped around Nate’s torso as we made out. The shutter of an iPhone camera broke the trance and the both of us turned to find Sarah holding her iPhone with a smile on her face.

“You two are too cute to handle. Let’s keep it PG-13 though guys.”

Kathy’s POV

Seeing Nate with Myers was something else. She wasn’t my son’s first girlfriend by any means, but the way they looked at each other and interacted was special. He had already told all three of us on the drive to Vail that he was in love with her. That was a first. Sarah squealed and asked when he was going to propose. He had stuttered for a few minutes before finally admitting that he would consider it in the offseason.

Currently, Graham and I were in the warmth of the house watching through the large glass windows of the living room as Sarah and Myers teamed up against Nate in a snowball fight outside, dogs chasing them around. When Nate had finally had enough of playing man-down, he charged Sarah, picking her up and throwing her into a snow bank before turning his attention to Myers. Myers was every bit as competitive as Nate and refused to back down. She continued pelting him with snowballs as he approached her before picking her up. Myers brought down Nate with her, laughing and giving him a whitewash as they fell into the snow together. Both of their smiles seemed to be more radiant when they were around each other. When they made it inside, the three of them headed upstairs to get warm and out of their wet clothes. I promised hot chocolate once they were showered and warm.

Although I had been at Myers mountain house this summer, most of our time was spent outside or in the town. So, I decided to wander around the parts of the house I hadn’t explored yet. The two-story mountain home was absolutely stunning. The five bedroom, four-bathroom home had a lot of stone and glass. Floor to ceiling glass windows gave way to breathtaking views. On the first floor, there was the foyer, office, gym, living room, dining room, kitchen and laundry room. Upstairs housed all of the bedrooms, many of which had their own fireplaces. With the snow and Christmas decorations inside, it looked like a picture from a magazine.

Throughout the house, there was evidence of Myer’s ski career. Boxes of ski gear and Nike clothes filled one empty bedroom upstairs. Her office had pictures of her on the podium at various events and all of her medals from over the years. There was one picture of a much younger Myers, probably only 10 or 11, with her ski coach. Another of her and Lindsey on the field at a Broncos game and one last one of Myers and Nate in Nova Scotia. But the absence of family pictures in her house made my heart ache. All of these accomplishments and no one to share them with until now. She was such a genuine girl. A little guarded but that was to be expected with how she grew up. When she offered to host a mountain Christmas at her house for us, I couldn’t turn her down. She had probably never had family there to celebrate.

Nate’s POV

Everyone else had gone to bed, but Myers had convinced me to join her outside in the hot tub on the back deck. I put up a protest at first, but once I saw the tiny bikini she put on, I couldn’t resist. Snow falling down on us and jets blurring in the hot tub, we made up for lost time. We finally wrapped up in towels and headed in to cuddle up on the couch and talk with Duke curled up at our feet. It wasn’t long until she was out cold, so I carried her up to the master bedroom where we both fell asleep.

The smell of my mom’s famous Christmas morning cinnamon rolls woke me up. Waking up with Myers wrapped around me was the best gift I could ask for. And I knew I sounded like a complete sap for thinking that. Duke apparently was over being patient for his human to get out of bed, jumping up and licking both of us until we were up and following at our feet until we went downstairs.

Last night, my parents had clearly added quite a few gifts under the already large collection Myers and I had put under the tree. Stockings that weren’t there before were filled by the fireplace. My mom adored Myers and was so excited to give her a proper Christmas that she may have gone a little overboard. The dining room table was filled with fruit, cinnamon rolls, ham, eggs, and mimosas. Myers' eyes widened as she took in the scene. She headed into the kitchen and hugged my mom before thanking her multiple times.

After feasting, we decided to open gifts. I was sitting next to Myers with my arm around her. She had given me a new watch for game days, along with a new rangefinder for golf season. When Myers got to my gift, I could feel my nerves kicking up. She gently unwrapped the box and took out a pair of diamond earrings and a charm bracelet. With the help of Mel and Lacey Comeau, I had picked out the earrings and charms for a bracelet. There was a camera for the photo shoot we met at, a hockey stick, a mountain, skis, a boat for Cole Harbor, and a 29 charm.

Myers had decided to get a few training runs done in the afternoon, so all of us headed to the mountain to watch her from the lodge. Sarah was the only one who hadn’t seen her ski before. I think she was expecting My to ski fast but in control. But that isn’t Myers style. Instead, she skis on the fine line of in and out of control. So when she saw her tear down the icy slope of a downhill course, tucking in and just managing to stay on her feet for a few jumps in-between gates, she turned and faced me.

“So I can see why Mom and Dad were nervous watching her now. I laughed when Mom first said that but she looks like she might wreck if she leans a bit too far at each turn!”

Myers completed a few more runs before coming into the lounge to join us. We were approached by a family as soon as she walked over to us. They wanted a picture with Myers. I was so used to being the one asked for pictures and autographs that seeing her fans approach her and appreciate the work she puts into her sport was refreshing. If anyone deserved attention for all of her work, it was Myers.

All of us drove back to Denver from the ski resort. The next afternoon, the Avs were hosting a family skate. All of the guys were really excited to get to know Myers. She had missed the Christmas pajama party the wives and girlfriends had thrown while she was at a world cup event. Quite a few new faces had joined the team this season, and a few others joined when we traded Matt. Some of the rookies had seen Myers on opening night but I hadn’t actually introduced the guys to her in person yet. When we were on the road, a lot of the guys had sat with me to watch Myers compete in World Cup events that we streamed.

So as soon as Myers stepped onto the ice at the Pepsi Center guys flocked over to her. JT, Jost, and Kerfy got to her first along with their significant others. The rookies told her how impressive her skiing was and how long they had been waiting to meet her. Yak, Mikko, and Sven were the next flock to her. Mikko lifted her clear off of her skates and the two talked quickly in Finish. Sven and Yak were surprised at the conversation and looked towards me to see if I was just as surprised. I wasn’t at all. The last few times Mikko’s parents had been out, they asked about Myers. Apparently, they were absolutely enamored with her and Mikko always gave them updates and stories about her. I would be jealous if Myers hadn’t told me she saw him as a little brother.

By the time we left a few hours later, all of the guys had fallen in love with Myers. Even quiet little Sam Girard and his fiancé had come to really like Myers. Apparently, Myers had tested the little French she knew from other skiers on him. When Sam and his girl finally stopped laughing, they told her that none of what she had said was clean. I had to separate her from all of the guys to get out of there and back home.