All Is Fair in Love and War

The Mystery Begins

Abby's POV

"Miss Thornton, are you sure your boss hasn't just decided to take some time off?" The officer asked me again. I sighed and rolled my eyes.

"She has been missing for 72 hours, she has not left a note, a voicemail or even a postcard to stay that she is gone and the files on her case are missing. I know my boss, officer. She is missing," I state, rubbing my head again. I've been over this twice now and this dumb ass officer just can't seem to get this through his thick head. He sighed and clicked his pen.

"Alright, I'm gonna go get the missing person report sheet. Don't go anywhere," He replied, getting up and walking off. I sighed and looked around. No one seemed to really be doing their job. I sighed and rested my cheek against my hand before tapping my fingers. After a few seconds, someone placed a coffee in front of me. I looked up but to my surprise, it wasn't the officer. It was a handsome young man dressed in a black leather jacket, dark blue jeans and a band shirt.

"You look like you could do with a coffee," He smiled with bright green eyes.

"Thanks," I mumbled but I didn't touch it. Cheap coffee was gross and god knows what he put in it. He sipped his own as the officer came back. He stopped and stared at the newcomer before gulping and walking over.

"Is Miss Thornton a friend of yours, Mr Baker?" He asked.

"Friend or not, you should listen to her," He replied, clapping the man's shoulder. The way he spoke and acted was quite unsettling. "I find my trust in the LAPD is lacking of sorts recently after all,"

"S-sorry, Mr Baker," He replied, sitting down. "So what is your boss's full name?"

"Miss Jenny Lawton," I replied but I felt a shiver. I turned round and noticed Mr Baker had vanished. "Who was that?"

"A friend of the station. No one to worry about, Miss Thornton. Now how old is she?"

(***)

I rustled around in my purse as I looked for my key. The day had been long and I was tired. I wanted to get in from the cold and hug my cat but for some reason, I couldn't find my key.

"Looking for something?" A melodic voice drew my attention away and I turned round, narrowing my eyes. A menacing smile was written across his face as he held my keys in his left hand.

"You again,"

"Me again,"

"Why have you got my keys?" I asked, trying to reach for my taser but I couldn't find that either. He walked over and unlocked my door, opening it.

"Ladies, first," He gestured to the door. I rose an eyebrow and walked inside. The door closed and the light came on. I turned round as he put the keys in the tray.

"Mr Baker right?"

"Zack,"

"Zack?"

"That's my first name," He replied, walking into the living room. Snowball hissed at him. "Aw how cute you have a cat,"

"Her name is Snowball,"

"How original," He replied, in a deadpan voice, picking up an empty glass of red wine. "I suppose you come home, get a glass of wine and cuddle with your cat every evening, probably watch a cheesy romance movie in the background,"

"No!" I gasped, wondering how he knew that. Was he stalking me?

"Oh you don't?" He questioned, smirking. He knew I was lying. I remained quiet. "Of course, you do. Mortals never cease to amuse me,"

"Mortals? You're a mortal too,"

"Actually I'm not," He replied, picking up a book and examining it. "Let's cut to business shall we? How long has your boss been missing? Don't save 72 hours. I know that's a lie,"

".... 3 weeks..." I mumbled.

"So why go to the police today and say she's been-" He suddenly cut off mid sentence and looked around.

"Um."

"Ssh!"

"Why?!"

"Ssh!" He hissed, looking around. I looked around too. Suddenly, a black thing burst from the wall and threw me into the other. I screamed as it flew at me but then it exploded and Zacky grabbed my hand. "Come on!"

"The hell was that?!" I screamed as we ran out of my house. He led me down a hidden alleyway and opened a door that led to a club before shutting the door. I sucked my breathe into my lungs as he put away a gun. "Are you gonna answer me?"

"It was a corrupted,"

"A what?"

"You asked,"

"What the hell is A Corrupted? Can it get in here?" I asked but he chuckled and grabbed my hand, leading me through the crowd that danced wildly. I watched as men and women drowned themselves in alcohol and while strippers seduced older men. "Why are we in a strip club?"

"Safest place I know," He replied, walking past the bodyguards and upstairs. I followed him. "Beside I know the owner,"

"Why does this not surprise me?" I mumbled. Zack laughed before knocking on the door. A few seconds later, it was opened by a hot girl dressed in red.

"He's expecting you," She stated, letting him by. I followed and felt a little insecure as the girl glared at me.

"Harl, behave," Zack stated, pulling me over farther into the office and gestured to the sofa. I sat down and rose an eyebrow as she flipped him off and left the room. "Don't worry about her. Do you want a drink?"

"No thanks,"

"Suit yourself," He replied, pouring himself on.

"Stealing my alcohol again," A new voice added. I looked over and saw a guy dressed in a black shirt and black jeans. "Who's the girl, Zack?"

"This is Abigail Thornton," He replied, sipping his drink. "Abby, this is my brother, Brian,"

Brian rose an eyebrow and walked over. He whispered to something to Zack, who nodded.

"She is involved?" He mumbled. Zacky nodded.

"Seemed to be the case," He replied. "Corrupted attacked her home,"

"Naturally, you were there to save the day," Brian replied, pouring himself a drink. "If they are after her, we better take her to our castle,"

"I was thinking that would be a good idea," He grinned. "We can protect her there,"

"Um.." I mumbled. "Can someone tell me what's going on?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Another update? Wow, I'm on a roll today