Love Rhymes with Hideous Car Wreck

4. End

"Hey, Jack. What's up?" Elyse sits down across from me at the diner. She's wearing a t-shirt and jeans, but I somehow find that attractive. And I'm not really sure why we're here, but I guess it was because I hadn't planned beyond asking her if she was free today. Yes, I know I'm very smart.

I take in a deep breath. "You know those moments where you just come to a sudden realization?" She nods. God, I feel like a moron. I don't know where I'm going with this. I don't know what I'm talking about. "I just had one of those moments."

She raises an eyebrow. "Oh, really?" she asks, giggling. "I'll have a Sprite," she tells the waitress with a mountain of auburn hair on her head, who then turns to me. I ask for some water, and then Elyse furrows her brow. "You're not going to order a sundae or anything?" She knows what I usually get.

With these butterflies in my stomach, I don't even think I can hold down the water.

"Anyway, what was this realization?" She thanks the waitress for the Sprite, and I mutter a "gracias" for my water. She flashes me a polite smile. I think I offended her. I guess she isn't Hispanic. "Did it involve how pants are confining, and how skinny jeans don't have enough 'crotch room'?"

"No, actually." She laughs. "I just came to the realization that I might like someone I've been friends with for years." She raises her eyebrows, as if to ask, "Well, who is it?". I shift uncomfortably. I don't even know how to tell her. "You see....she's someone you know very well."

"Alex Gaskarth." We both laugh. No offense to Alex, but he is lacking in the masculine department. Sometimes, I wonder if he locks himself in the bathroom for hours. Hell, sometimes I'd arrive at his house, and he'd still be getting ready. Ridiculous.

"No," I say.

"Well, other than her, I can't really think of anyone else." Elyse taps her chin. It's adorable.

I did not just say that.

"She has blonde hair." Elyse is still tapping her chin. I know she'll never get it unless I say something really obvious. I love how she's so clueless sometimes. "And her name is Elyse." She stares me and points to herself.

"...Me?"

I nod, my stomach doing somersaults. "Crazy, huh?" She reaches over the table and squeezes me, and I feel like I can't breathe. I'm glad she's happy, but at this rate, she'll kill me.

She lets go and grabs my hand. "Screw staying at the diner. Let's go out and celebrate!" She's already trying to pull me to the entrance.

"...Celebrate what?" I'm confused.

"Let's celebrate that you now have a girlfriend that's not a slut. And I have a boyfriend who gives a shit about me." She grins, half-dragging me out the door as I attempt to pay for what we ordered and leave a tip.

We race to the car and off to Alex's house to celebrate. Hopefully she'll be the girl who won't break my heart, no matter how tough life gets. For some reason, I just have a feeling she's the one for me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image
Happy almost birthday, Elyse!

I'm sad the almost birthday girl isn't here.