Bane of My Existence

Walk With Me

What you see is not often what you get. It is often that a person is called to chose between two things that they love. These choices often change in difficulty and importance, some being life-altering. It was when Vethvis had to make a choice, he felt helpless. No matter which decision he made, he would be a traitor, either to himself or to Bane, the god which he serves so diligently.
Vethvis had conceived his first child with his beautiful wife, Aradove. The elven couple was more than thrilled to start a family together. However, it was Bane who called for the extinction of the child straight after it was born. Bane had told the couple that it was prophesied that this child, should it grow, be born to kill him. Full of anger and fear, he ordered Vethvis and Aradove to kill the child that they so desperately wanted. Aradove was ready to follow Bane's orders. She carried the child to full term and safely delivered it. A girl. Vethvis held his daughter in his arms. He rocked the wailing baby and she shortly fell asleep, feeling secure in his arms. He felt so much love for this tiny creature. He loved the small strands of thin white hair that poked from her soft skull. He loved the shade of purple that occasionally poked through her eyelids. He loved the way she nuzzled her head deep into his chest. He wondered how such small hands gripped around his heart.
“Vethivis,” Aradove called out breathlessly, “Take her to the forest and put a knife in her chest.” Vethvis looked at his daughter, then at his wife. He nodded and took his dagger. He left the house, his legs heavy as lead.
As Vethvis trudged through the woods, his mind raced about what he must do. Had he really just witnessed his wife scream in agony for hours on end for nothing? He had no idea the strength she held until today. And what of their child? Her murmurs and coos sounded like music. He talked to her about what he felt and so much more. He spilled his past and secrets to her. He knew she wasn't old enough to understand, but he was comforted by the way she giggled at even the most gruesome details.
Without even noticing, Vethvis had stumbled into a new city. It was hours away from his home, but it felt as though he only left minutes ago.
It was still dark out and the city was sleeping. Vethvis knew he would be unbothered here, even if he was just passing by. As he crept through the town, he saw an orphanage stand tall at the center. It was a place protected by Sehanine, the elven Goddess of Moonlight and Lady of Dreams. Vethvis laughed to himself about finding such a peculiar place in what looked like a melting pot village. He looked down at his daughter one last time and knew he would be unable to harm her. If he could give her one gift in the world, it would be her own life. Vethvis wished he could raise her and watch her grow. He urned for it, but he kissed her forehead and laid her down on the doorstep. On a scrap of paper, he wrote the child's name and tied it to his blade. He left the two together and knocked on the orphanage's door. Vethvis turned away and hid in the shadows. The only beasts left to deal with was Bane and Aradove. He prayed he could lie well enough to keep his daughter's life intact.

Nah LeFerre is a spunky six year old with an imagination brimming over the edge. As she runs through the halls of the orphanage she's called home, her long white hair trails behind her. She was nervous she was going to be late!
Nah opens the door to her bedroom and slams her new book onto a small wooden table which she had set up in preparation for this event. Her fingertips fly through the book until she finds the spell she was looking for. It was almost too easy, but she raised a skeleton in her own room. She invited the skeleton, or Jack Marrow as she called him, to sit at the table. She poured him a warm cup of tea and offered him snacks which she prepared. Jack declined eating the mud-pie and worm-spaghetti-surprise. The two rattled on endlessly about small things. Nah was eager to tell him everything and Jack Marrow was glad that he didn't have ears. She told him about the frogs she found in the park and what she had learned in class. She giggled when Jack took sips from his cup, the warm liquid dripping from his jaw.
“Nah LeFerre!” a priestess gasped, walking into Nah's room. Nah took the spell off of the corpse in hopes she could pretend she wasn't doing exactly what she was doing. Jack Marrow lifeless body drops the cup, shattering it to pieces across the floor.
“Nah, we have told you countless times about these things,” The high priestess scolds. Yes, necromancy was scorned upon in this building, but Nah had an unnatural affinity for it.
“I'm sorry,” Nah says, her eyes sinking to the floor, “I just wanted to have a tea party and everyone said they didn't want to come.”
“Are you surprised?” The high priestess scolds, “You can't do such unusual things and expect people to want to be your friend! It's no wonder you don't have a roommate!” It hurt. It hurt Nah like a person couldn't believe. It's not that Nah was bullied. No, it's that she had an unusual air about her which the other children didn't like. It was as if everyone in the world decided it was best if Nah LeFerre wasn't born and pretended as if she didn't exist. Avoidance was key to having a happy, Nah-free life and Nah knew that is what her peers thought of her. Her unique-ness was not welcomed in both this home and this city, but it wasn't forbidden so she was allowed to stay.

Nah LeFerre is a spunky eleven year old. Although she doesn't understand the ways of the world, she accepts them. Nah has given up on forming bonds with those around her. She currently hides within a distance meadow, playing with the pedals that hang from the stems of flowers. She often likes to hide. She knows that she cannot change who she is, so she hides from the world to relieve them of the burden she is.
A gust of wind rattles the trees, knocking the birds within them from their places. The ravens cry and flee upwards into the sky, all but one. A large male swoops low to the ground and glides to the center of the meadow, in front of little Nah LeFerre. Nah becomes excited, feeling as if she can gain companionship from this creature. Even if it was temporary, even if it was just from an animal, Nah craves small intimacies. She doesn't like to admit it.
“Ooohhh! What's your name!!” Nah asks.
“I'm trying to eat,” The raven says with a british accent, pecking at the ground.
“Did you just talk?” Nah asks, curiosity bubbling from her.
“What? We can't- oh for fucks sake,” The raven says.
“Does that mean we're best friends?!” Nah asks.
“It means I'm your familiar,” The raven sighs. Nah curls into a ball, seeing the disappointment on his face. Familiar? Right, why would anyone want to be close to her anyway.
“I'm sorry,” Nah says, feeling small within herself, “I know you didn't ask for it.” The raven notices the immediate change within her demeanor.
“Hey, kid, it's not the end of the world,” The raven says, trotting up to her, “I'm sure we can make this shit work.”
“No, no one wants to be my friend,” Nah mumbles, “I'm sorry you're forced to be near me now.” She rests her head on her knees and holds back tears. She doesn't want to be a burden, but that's all she's ever been.
“Look,” The raven says, “We were connected by the universe for some strange reason. I don't even know who you are but the universe basically told us that we were meant to be together and I'm going to stand by that.”
“What do you mean?” Nah mumbles.
“It means we are supposed to be best friends,” The raven says. Nah looks up at him. The raven feels so much pity for this small creature. He senses how much love she has to give this world and how scorned she is when she tries to give it. He is the first creature to see Nah for who she is and not see her as a problem. He sees her as the most beautiful sunset. He sees her as all the stars in the sky. He sees her as a solution that he didn't even know was needed until this very moment.
“What's your name?” Nah asks the raven.
“I don't have one,” he says, “You're supposed to give me one.”
“Do you like the name Nevermore?” Nah asks.
“I couldn't have picked a better name myself,” he proudly says.

Nah LeFerre is a spunky eighteen year old. Today is her birthday and the day she leaves the orphanage. No more estranged looks given to her in the hallway. No more isolation. Nah LeFerre and Nevermore are free to leave this place and never look back. The two consider it the best gift she could have gotten.
Nah and Nevermore had become close within their seven years of friendship. They've only had each other as company and quickly grew fond of each other. Nah had finally found someone she could call a friend. Nevermore had trouble adjusting to Nah's unique personality, but grew fond of her quirkiness in due time. In fact, it became known that if someone hurt Nah, a raven would come after you at night and scratch your eyes out. Nevermore would do no such thing, but he enjoyed the fear the children got when they saw him with Nah. He felt a strong need to protect her from those who would wish her harm and that is exactly what he did.
Before Nah and Nevermore left, they were ordered to see the high priestess. They sat in front of the desk before the priestess, waiting for her to break the silence.
“We're going to miss you, Nah,” The priestess says, her voice monotone and her stare blank.
“Bullshit, you fucking hag,” Nevermore squaks, “I bet you fuckin wish this angel was left at someone else's doorstep!”
“Enough!” The priestess yells, “It's that foul mouth that has gotten you two in so much trouble!”
“Fowl?” Nah giggles. Both arguing parties sigh.
“What did ya call us in for?” Nevermore asks.
“It only felt right that I give you your belongings,” The priestess says.
“What belongings?” Nah asks. The priestess reaches down and pulls open a drawer at her desk. She pulls out a note and dagger, then leaves in on the desk in front of Nah.
“What... is this?” Nah asks.
“It's what we found you with the night you were left in our care,” The priestess says. Nah picks up the dagger by it's golden handle. Strange inscriptions lace the blade, leaving a powerful magical aura about it. Nah unties the note from the weapon and reads the small inscription, “Nah LeFerre.” She stares at it, trying to understand what happened the night she was brought here. For many nights, Nah had wondered why her parents didn't keep her. She wondered if they knew how she would turn out and they decided against keeping her. What could she have done within a few moments of birth to make her own family not even love her?
“You're free to leave now,” The priestess says, breaking Nah's focus.
“Right!” Nah says, enthusiastically and leaves.

Nah is a spunky twenty-five year old and a seasoned adventurer. With Nevermore by her side, the two are undefeated. Luckily, they're inseparable as well. If you've heard of the pair, you may groan when they are brought up. There's the insatiably curious and child-like elf that knows no social boundaries. She's full of energy and has child-like been mentioned as a personality trait? But you would be wise to just see her as she acts. It's easy to be fooled by her ditsy actions and to just write her off as a beautiful dip-shit, but her depths are unknown by all except a fearsome raven. She is the wisest of all and fearsome in combat. Then, there's the sarcastic, fowl-mouthed raven who never has a nice thing to say about anything. Well, almost anything. He will always sing his praises and protect the one person he can actually stand. The two are truly a unique pair. It's a wonder if anyone can stomach the flavors of such intense sweet and sour.
♠ ♠ ♠
I totally used the name of this character from another book I'm writing