Starlit

Three

I brought Harper with me back over to Garret and Sandy, who had returned to our table, and they cheered and congratulated me. I felt my face and ears grow warm, and poor Harper looked both confused and afraid. It was then that I realized I hadn't even confirmed whether or not she was interested in women.

I bit my lip and rubbed at the back of my neck, looking between the three of them. Finally I turned to Harper. This would be an awkward moment to confess. But her furrowed eyebrows were begging for explanation.

"I'm- I'm gay," I said. "They think I brought you back here as like a- a date." I gave her a sheepish smile. The look of fear dropped, but her eyebrows remained furrowed for a moment longer. Finally she smiled back at me.

"Oh, okay," she said with a small giggle. "I'm bi, so I guess they're not wrong." She turned to my friends and extended her hand out to them. "I'm Harper. I'm new around here."

"Oh, okay cool. Nice to meet you, sweetie," Garret drawled out in what he liked to call his 'effeminate voice'. I brought a hand up to cover my eyes and groaned while he reached his hand out to hers.

"And I'm Sandy," Sandy said. "Garret here is one of my boos. We have another boo, but he didn't want to come party with us tonight. He's too tired." I uncovered my eyes to see her pouting. Harper laughed as she shook Sandy's hand.

"I see," Harper nodded. There were a few moments of silence- well, besides the blaring music and noises made by the people around us. "So, the two of you are in one of those poly relationships?"

Sandy and Garret looked between each other; I could tell they were a little put off by the way Harper had worded the question. The two looked back to Harper again and nodded.

"Yes," Sandy said. "It's actually really wonderful and loving. Not like- well, what most people assume, to my face." Sandy rolled her eyes.

"Yeah, most think it's non-consensual," Garret rolled his eyes with her. "Like we're all cheating on each other. Or they assume! That we're completely open, and down for other people joining us in the bedroom! No way man. I don't get jealous when Noah and Sandy are alone together, but hell. I sure do get jealous when other people make moves on them."

Sandy smiled at him and gave his arm a squeeze. I smiled at the two of them. They were all three really great together. Harper's eyes widened and she pursed her lips; realizing what she had said. Sandy gave her a reassuring smile though.

"Well, you guys want to dance?" Harper asked, quickly changing the subject anyway.

"That's what we came here for, after all!" Sandy cheered, not minding the topic change one bit. She threw her arms in the air and gave a 'whoop' for emphasis. I smiled, relaxing a bit- glad everyone was still on good terms.

We all made our way back to the dance floor, threading in and out of other moving bodies. The strobe lights overhead shifted colours, dancing beautifully over Harper's skin. It was hypnotic.

Sandy whispered in my ear, "We'll give you two some space." And then she wove her way around the crowd some more with Garret, leaving me behind with Harper. I shot her a helpless look, but she was no longer looking my way.

I turned back to Harper and smiled shyly at her. Harper grinned and took the lead; her hands went to my hips to pull me closer to her. When she let me go and started dancing I could only stare for a moment. She raised a brow when she noticed me gaping at her, not dancing along. I shook my head and allowed the beat of the music to work its way through my limbs.

We danced together for hours, eventually drawing closer and closer together until Harper had me turned and was grinding up against my behind. Her hands were on my lower abdomen, but they were steadily caressing further and further upward. I tossed my head back on her shoulder, placing my hands over hers and helping guide them further upward.

I reveled in the feeling of her hands over my breasts when they finally made their way there. It had been a really long time since my body was paid that kind of attention, so perhaps the sensation being amplified was due to that. It felt better than I had ever remembered- even if it was through the fabric of my shirt and bra. She squeezed gently, humming in my ear and continuing to rock her hips with mine to the music. I ran my hands up her arms and behind me to grasp the back of her head.

Her lips were grazing over my neck, but by this time the music was dying down and the crowd was steadily clearing out. The bar was almost at closing time. She let her hands drift back down to my stomach, and I allowed my arms to drop back to my sides. She spun me around and the smile on her face when we locked eyes was dazzling. My breath caught in my throat.

"Hey, Mae!" Sandy called, making her way back over to me with Garret in tow. "We're gonna be heading out soon. Are you going to be ready to go? Or do you wanna stay with Harper?"

I turned and looked to Harper. She was still smiling at me.

"It's up to you, Ann," Harper said. "I don't mind either way."

I worried my bottom lip. As much as I really, really, really liked this girl, I had only just met her. Even if I wasn't sure what I wanted from her just yet, I wanted to at least get to know her a bit better before jumping into bed with her.

"I'll just go back-" I started, but Garret interrupted me.

"She'll stay with Harper tonight," he said with a lop-sided grin. I turned to face him, eyes bugging out of my head. He looked to me and shot me a wink. My mouth fell open as he passed by to whisper to me, "Live a little."

Garret smacked me on the butt before wandering off with Sandy. I stared after them, mouth opening and closing. I turned to Harper, eyebrows knitting furiously together.

"I-I," I stuttered. Harper gave me a warmer smile than before.

"Don't worry about it," she said. She gave my shoulder a squeeze. "We don't have to do anything you're not ready for. We can totally just cuddle until we fall asleep."

I turned back toward my friends, but they had already disappeared out the door. I worried my bottom lip again and thought over it. There were no cabs out this late. Chances were those two had climbed into the car and driven off so fast there would be no point in wandering out to ask them to wait. It literally wasn't even that long of a walk back to the house, but at this hour I really didn't feel like walking home.

Especially not with the buzz going in my head. However... Harper could just walk me home, no matter how much I didn't feel like walking? But there was a voice in the back of my head telling me to just roll with the chance my friends had given me.

I turned back around to Harper and sighed in defeat. Whether we ended up just cuddling or doing something more, it was definitely a great chance to establish a place in Harper's life. She seemed at least slightly interested in me.

"Okay," I said quietly, offering her a small smile. Harper's smile brightened, and she slipped her hand into mine. I wove my fingers through hers. "I need to close my tab and get my card back first."

"That's okay, I do too," Harper said with a laugh. I nodded and grinned wider, allowing her to lead me up to the bar.

There was a small group of people gathered there. Harper waved back when the turned and waved at her.

"Hey, Harp," one of the males there said. "You leaving now?"

"Yeah," Harper nodded. "Last round of drinks for you all. Sorry guys."

"That's totally cool," one of the females said. "We'll see you again another time. But I think it's Ted's turn to pay next?" She grinned at the male that had spoken. He stuck his tongue out at her.

"Who's the chick?" another girl nodded toward me. I smiled shyly and felt my face flush. Harper put her arm around me.

"This is Ann," she said. "Just met her tonight. I can't believe it's the first time, either." Considering how Harper was new around here, I wondered how she knew all these people. But it occurred to me that she probably just meant she wasn't from this town specifically.

"How's Rat gonna take it?" the blonde girl who had nodded at me asked. She rolled her tongue in her mouth, looking me up and down.

"It's none of his business," Harper said shortly. The bartender handed her back her card, and after the payment was approved he handed mine back as well. "We're going now."

The group muttered goodbyes, all except the blonde girl who was still eyeing me. I shuddered as Harper lead me away from them and out of the bar.

"I'm sorry if that's ruined your mood," Harper said quietly once we were out in the fresh night air. Well, not quite fresh; there was a man smoking across from the entrance of the bar.

"No, it's okay," I said. I shook my head and smiled at her. She smiled back at me and gave me a squeeze. As her arm was around my shoulders, I decided to place my arm around her waist.

"You're pretty cute, you know," she said quietly. I felt myself flush again. How many times was I going to feel embarrassed tonight? "I don't live very far from here. What about you? Do you need me to call you a cab in the morning?"

"Oh, no," I said. "That's fine. I actually live nearby, too."

"Alright, cool," she said. She bit her lip lightly while still watching my face, and then grinned and looked forward. She began to lead the way toward wherever it was we were headed.

She wasn't kidding when she said she didn't live very far away. We had only walked maybe a block before stopping in front of one of the apartment buildings near the bar. I stared up at the three-story building; it was one of the ones Sandy and Noah had told me to steer clear from.

I looked at Harper out of the corner of my eye. It wouldn't be that bad as long as I stuck with her, which was obviously the plan. We entered the building and Harper lead the way up the long flights of stairs to the third floor. She pulled keys from a pocket I didn't even know she had and unlocked the first door on the right, allowing us entry.

"Well, here we are," she said, flipping the light on. "Home sweet home."

I took in the apartment, drawing a breath in. It wasn't anything like I was expecting.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry not sorry for how long this chapter took me to spin out. I lost interest in this story, and I'm still not 100% back. I'm focused on a Harry Styles fan-fiction that I can take my time with and update whenever I want from my phone.