Status: Will be updated every 2 comment!

Too Scared to Love Again

Chapter 22

Lynn tapped her fingers against the wheel, her tired eyes barely holding it up, as the car skipped passed a couple of blocks, finally taking her out of the neighbourhood she’d seen so many times.

In the back of her truck rested at least three bags with empty beer cans that she had recently collected from her father’s living room, finally letting the reeking smell of beer out of her childhood home.

The sound of the radio filtered through the background, and the brunette soon looked down at her fingers, noticing the shiny diamond ring Carter had put on her finger three months ago. Her lips curled into a gentle smile, as the idea of him made her stomach flutter with butterflies.

She was thankful that she had him by her side, and especially now that her life had turned upside down. A month ago, her mother had packed her stuff and left her daughter and former husband behind for another man. The wound was still fresh, both for Lynn and her father, who was still heartbroken after the loss of the love of his life. The man her mother had left behind didn’t look like Lynn’s father at all, and in the middle of this, Carter had been there for her. He had been loving and caring when she needed it the most, which often was when she returned to their home after another day of babysitting her own father – making sure he made it to his therapy sessions and cleaning the house he was too depressed to take care of.

When Lynn eventually returned to her own home, Carter was waiting for her in the living room, his feet propped on the coffee table and his face holding unto concern, as he saw how exhausted his fiancée was. Carter knew that Lynn was too occupied with her father to plan her own wedding, but he never showed her that it bothered him. Instead he made her curl up by his side, her head resting in his lap, and his slender fingers making their way through her hair. At some point during this evening Carter would remind his partner to take the sleeping medication Lynn’s doctor had prescribed to her, as she was so mentally drained that she couldn’t sleep without them. After a couple of minutes, Lynn would be all knocked out, either on the couch or in their bed, meanwhile Carter would be the one awake, wondering if this life was worth it.

This evening was one of those nights. Lynn had been away the entire day, as she had spent some time at her father’s place. When the clock was dangerously close to midnight, she’d gathered her belongings and climbed into her car, ready to crawl into her own bed and disconnect her mind for once.

Lynn made it to the driveway, soon noticing that the lights from the kitchen was still on, which also meant that Carter was once again waiting for her. The brunette leaned back in her seat, turning the keys as she was once again reminded of how exhausted she was. She glanced over at her phone, realizing that she had a couple of messages, most of them from Cynthia, who was ranting about her horrible date that had decided to go back to her place for the night. Lynn chuckled to herself, and then shoved her phone into her jeans, before grabbing her bag and climbing out of the car.

She walked peacefully up to the porch, soon noticing that the door wasn’t locked, which was another sign that indicated that Carter was up. She slipped passed it, instantly placing her keys on top of the table, just as a pair of baby blue eyes looked up at her.

“You’re home.” Carter smiled, his curls tied up into a rather firm bun.

“I’m sorry I’m late.” Lynn sighed, stepping closer to her fiancée, as he circled his arms around her mid-section and pulled her into his embrace.

“Lynn, you look exhausted,” Carter pointed out, gracing her skin with the back of his thumbs. “Are you okay?”

“Oh, I am exhausted,” Lynn retorted, soon allowing her chin to rest against the top of his shoulder. “I just wanna go to bed, really.”

“You push yourself too hard, babe.” he said to her, planting a firm kiss against her forehead.

“I know…” the brunette sighed, fully aware that her body wasn’t capable of holding the fort up like this.

“Are you too tired to cuddle for a little while?” Carter asked, his voice as smooth as velvet meanwhile a smirk crooked his lips.

“I’m sorry, I’m worn out, babe.” Lynn told him, before she folded her arms around his waist and buried her face into his broad chest, sucking up the familiar scent of him.

“Your meds are on the nightstand.” Carter told her, running his fingers through her already messy hair.

“Have I ever told you how amazing you are?” she smiled, unable to do anything else as she looked at him.

“Just a couple of times,” Carter chuckled. “Good night, babe.”

“I love you.” Lynn smiled at him, stealing a gentle kiss from his lips, before the woman padded upstairs.

Lynn pushed her t-shirt over her head and tossed it unto the floor, before her fingers worked on unbuttoning her jeans. She was left in only her underwear as she swallowed her sleeping pill, and then collected her articles from the floor. She ran a brush through her hair, getting rid of some of her worst tangles, before brushing her teeth and climbing into the bed, the sheets covering her chest, meanwhile she could feel the effect ticking in.

The sound of a groan filtering through the wall made her open her eyes, as she took in her surroundings. It was still dark, despite the thin curtains, and Lynn realized that she had been asleep for merely two hours. She threw a quick glance at the spot next to her, realizing that Carter hadn’t come to bed. Lynn pushed herself out of the bed, abandoning her slippers in her bedroom, meanwhile she paced quietly down the stairs, so familiar with the staircases that she knew how to avoid the cracking sound.

Confusion swirled up in her mind. Her head felt hazy due to the heavy meds, and it was almost like she was dealing with a hideous hangover that was all but throbbing into the back of her head, when she saw something that still haunted her.

Carter was bending over the couch, two legs circled around his mid-section, and a pair of heels resting on the floor of their living room. His belt had been unbuckled, and his pants were merely touching the floor, as his hands were trapped under the butt of a pretty blonde, whose eyes were shut and lipstick ruined.

“How could you!” Lynn all but yelled, her voice cracking, as her stomach twisted with so much force that she was convinced she would throw up. The brunette threw her engagement ring across the room, hitting Carter’s bare back, as the blonde man looked over his shoulder, dreadfulness filling his blue eyes.

“Lynn… Fuck.”

“Get out!” Lynn all but demanded, her eyes so heavy with tears that an entire river soon exploded between her dark orbs. “Now!”

“Baby, we can talk about this!” Carter reassured her, soon letting go of the blonde he’d been riding high, and then returning to his fiancée.

“Get out!” the brunette yelled in between her heavy sobs.

“You told me she would be asleep!” the woman from the couch said, standing up and smoothening out the wrinkles on her dress with her fingers. “She’s been asleep all the other times!”

“Get out of my home!” Lynn growled at the woman, her fists clenching, as she was almost convinced she would turn violent.

“Babe, come on! It didn’t mean anything!” Carter told her, but it didn’t matter.

Lynn’s body was shaking with anger, as she grabbed a hold of her partner and shoved him towards the door. Her eyes were swollen by tears, as the couple left, leaving her in the middle of the room in the living room, her feet giving in under her and her chest racing with so much force that she was genuinely convinced that she would experience a heart attack.

The brunette laced her fingers into her hair, practically yanking on it in pure frustration, meanwhile she felt the cold floor against her body. Her chest was still moving heavily. Still unable to process the sight of Carter and a strange woman on the couch she’d bought from her aunt when she moved in with the man she seemingly loved. Still unable to grasp the fact that her world, her life, her safety were all being taken away from her at once.
♠ ♠ ♠
Soooo, this is kinda a flashback, telling you what really happened between Lynn and her former partner, and telling you a little about her relationship with her father as well! I have two exams next week and I'm also really ill right now, so I don't know if I'll be able to write anything until next week's over.

Please be patient with me, and I hope ya'll are having a wonderful weekend! Let me know what you think about this chapter in the comments! Sending lots of love to everyone!