Status: Will be updated every 2 comment!

Too Scared to Love Again

Chapter 4

"And here's the rest of it!" Zack announced as he put the rest of the dirty plates on top of the kitchen counter. His eyes soon darted over to Blair, who had just loaded the washing machine and was now resting her hands on the counter with her head dangling over her hands.

The two of them were left in silence for a moment, before a rather heavy sigh left Blair's lips. Zack stepped towards her and slipped his arms around her shoulders. Her breath was heavy and even though he hadn't known her that long, he could obviously see that something was bothering her.

"Blair, what's wrong?" he asked, mumbling with his lips buried in her red hair.

Zack tilted his head back so that he could see her face. His hands rested on each side of her shoulders.

"I'm sorry..." she sighed again. "It's just... Lynn has this crazy issue with guys, and don't get me wrong, I get her, I fucking get her..." Blair paused in order to take a deep breath. "It's just not fair to attack Brian like that!"

Zack cleared his throat. If it wasn't for the fact that he really enjoyed Blair's company and knew that she obviously cared for Lynn, he would've made a comment that would easily earn him a slap across the face.

"I mean, I'm obviously not gonna defend her, but Brian can be a bit of an ass," Zack chuckled. "So someone had to slap him eventually. I just didn't thought it would be so soon." he admitted.

Blair ran her hand through her hair, moving her fingers through the tangles in her locks.

"What's her issue, anyway? Cynthia mentioned something similar to Matt, and to be honest, we're kinda curious."

She took the dirty dishes and left them in the sink. Her hands holding on to the edge of the counter, before she cleared her throat,.

"That's not really my story to tell," Blair brushed off, knowing that she could never forgive herself if she betrayed Lynn like that. "I'm sorry." she added.

"Nothing to be sorry about, babe!" Zack reassured her and then slipped his arms around her waist.
“You’re just looking out for your friend, and I’m totally fine with it.” he added.

“Really? You’re not even annoyed that I’m not telling you?”

“Of course not!” Zack chuckled, before he trapped her body in his embrace, circling his heavily tattooed arms around her chest and resting his chin on top of her head. “Do you wanna stay over? It’ kinda late and I’ve come to the conclusion that my bed is far too big for me."

A clever smirk painted her lips, as she spun around and looked at him. “That sounds like a great idea.” she whimpered, before she stole a peck from his lips.

♠ ♠ ♠

“You did WHAT?” Cynthia all but screamed at her friend, unable to maintain her cool as she glared at Lynn.

The blonde had been pacing around in front of her friend, trying to soak up all the information that came rambling out of Lynn’s lips, as she told her friend about the BBQ she had attended. Most of the time, Cynthia had seemed overly interested and even excited, but as she got to the part where she slapped Brian across the face, the blonde had just snapped.

“You’re nuts, Lynn Cornelia Evans!” Cynthia exclaimed. “Completely fucking mental!”

“I had no choice! He doesn’t get it and it’s wearing me out!” Lynn defended. “You have no idea how irritating he is!” she let out.

“That does not give you the right to fucking attack him!" the blonde half-snapped. “You can at least act like you’re a little civil, L!” Cynthia sighed, dragging a hand through her silk blonde hair.

“It’s difficult…” Lynn murmured with her arms crossed stubbornly over her chest. “He reminds me of Carter…” she dropped underneath her breath.

“What?” Cynthia whimpered, as she managed to catch her words. “How come?”

"The way he looks at me, how he talks and just how he approaches me in general. It's identical to what he did the first night we met." Lynn exclaimed rather hopelessly, her mind taking her back to the first time she encountered the man she soon learned to love, even after he stabbed her in the back.

♠ ♠ ♠

Lynn was taking a swig from her dark coffee, her voice humming along to the sound of AC/DC from the radio, meanwhile she watched the diner like a hawk from her bar stool. Her legs were crossed over one another, and she had just managed to read through the newspaper when the bell attached to the door rang.

The brunette noticed a blonde tall man who slipped passed the door. He had strawberry blonde curls, and was dressed in a loose t-shirt that hung over his lanky figure and torn jeans. Around his wrists hung a couple of bracelets, and a clever smirk curved his rich rosy lips.

The man straddled one of the stools on the other side of Lynn’s counter, soon making her pay attention as a pair of light emerald eyes caught her. Lynn instantly noticed the weak freckles that was painted across his pointed nose, and the small stubbles that had grown under his bottom lip. The guy looked handsome in a way Lynn had never considered handsome before, and she could already tell he had an attitude that would keep her occupied.

“Good morning. What can I get you?” Lynn offered, somewhat taken aback to find a guy at the same age as herself at the diner so early in the morning.

“Morning, sweetheart. What’s your favourite dish here?” he asked, cocking his eyebrows at the waitress, twisting her heart without even knowing it, meanwhile his eyes scrolled through the menu.

"I don't wanna be that mainstream, but I gotta go with homemade pancakes with syrup and blueberries." Lynn announced, a silly smile spreading across her face.

“My mom makes that all the time.” the guy confessed. "Are yours better?" he wiggled his eyebrows a little, a cheeky grin settling on his lips.

"Maybe? I like a good challenge." Lynn chuckled, noticing how his light green eyes were taking in the sight of her firm figure.

"I mean, if you wanna bet, I'm all in." he confessed to the waitress, soon running his palm through his childish locks. The man looked over at the waitress, noticing how her hair had been tied back into a high ponytail, before they trailed towards the yellow tennis dress she was wearing that was decorated with a fine red neckline.

“What’s the prize?” Lynn asked, genuinely interested.

“A date.”

“A date?” Lynn repeated.

“Too scared you won't beat my mother?” his question was so ridiculous that it made her laugh out loud.

The adorable sound brought a smile to his lips. The man propped his elbows on top of the counter, watching with fascination as the waitress flipped his pancake, and then bathed it in thick syrup at the end. She decided to serve him a mug with coffee, knowing that the meal didn’t taste as good without one.

After a couple of minutes, Lynn placed the plate in front of him, lacing her fingers and eyeing him with interest, as she watched how he sliced the pancake in front of him. The man looked like a food critics, while slowly shoving the bite into his mouth and fully tasting the thick pancake. He took his time to chew on it, before he grabbed his next bite, not stopping until the plate was all cleaned up.

“So?” Lynn cocked her eyebrows, crossing her arms over her chest.

“Looks like you’re going on a date with me, honey.” the guy only smirked back, taking the last swig of his coffee.

Lynn couldn’t help but chuckle. It had been a ridiculous bet from the beginning, as she had no idea how his mother's pancakes tasted. Lynn had always considered her cooking as very mediocre. She had grown up in a home where her father preferred to do all the cooking, never really giving her a chance to try it out. Therefore it didn't really bother her that she lost the bet. In fact it was almost a big relief, as she had to admit that this customer was a lot more handsomer than other men she had come across.

“Okay, but I won’t be going out on a date with a nameless person,” Lynn told him.

“Of course you won’t. My name’s Carter,” the guy smiled. “And you’re… Lynn?” he looked at the name tag that was attached to her cute dress.

“Yes. Nice to meet you, Carter.” Lynn smirked at him, having no idea how her next months would turn out after this bet.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you all so much for comments, recs and subs! I'm sorry to say that I might have to take a break, at least for a week or maybe more. Last night my father passed away, and right now I'm planning his funeral with my mother. There's an enormous wound inside of me right now, and I'd really like it if you can keep him in your prayers. Thank you so much.

Please leave some comments for the next chapter.