Anticipating Forrest

Chapter 1

It was a quiet fall evening of September 15th 1967 when I met my soulmate. I remember the moment oh so clearly. I was headed home from school, backpack on my back, braids flipping all about from the wind.

Then out of no where, he stepped onto my path. And in that very moment, everything changed. Sounds like the start to every single fairy tale, right? I wish it was like that. I bumped into him, and he looked into my eyes and down into my soul, and in that moment I just knew.

When I say I bumped into him, I don't mean like in the way old friends awkwardly bump into each other on the street and stop for a friendly conversation. I was looking down at the ground, my brain swirling around with thoughts of what was to come next of my day, my friends, and other things and then a hard brush of a shoulder ramming into me.

"Hey, watch where your going!" I started saying, lifting my chin up to face the person who so rudely couldn't watch where they were going.

He smirked at me, and I fell under his spell.

"Sorry miss, I got slightly...distracted." He grabbed my hand, and looked deep into my eyes.

"Oh, its...fine, no worries." I stammered, trying to find the words that filled up inside my mind but couldn't seem to get them out properly. I looked to the left of him and attempted to move past, but he wouldn't let me. "If you could let me past you, that would be great."

"Sure thing sweetheart." He said with that annoying attractive grin that won't seem to leave his beautiful moist lips. "Don't forget about me."

I laughed it off, thinking nothing of it and that I would forget the encounter the second I got home and under my covers.

But, that's not what happened.

Time went on, and his very existence consumed me. I never bumped into him again, and I looked for him everywhere. I noticed something strange begin to happen, while everyone grew older around me, I never did. I didn't have the desire to sleep, or eat, or anything.

I kind of just existed.

My friends graduated High School without me, and I stayed home day in and day out and glanced out the window.

Waiting for him.

***

It's been forty-seven years, since that day. And still, I haven't changed. I haven't grown the slightest, I may still look like the sixteen year old I was back then but my soul is fifty nine. I've looked everywhere for this man, wondering if he could have the answers to what happened when he looked into my eyes that very day. But I haven't seen him since that day, my friends grew old and had families of their own. My parents are dead, my youngest brother is now older than me and has his own family.

But still I sit in solitude on that very street.

My days start and end the very same, I don't sleep so I sit at the chair in the living room watching out the window. Until the sun begins to come up over the horizon, and at approximately seven AM on the dot, I go outside and begin wandering the streets in search of him. At five PM I come home, disappointed and empty handed at the loss of my entire life, and without any answers.

Until today when something new happened.

I just came home from my usual, stroll through the streets mysterious man-hunt when I spotted a letter on my doorstep.

I hastily picked it up and felt it with my hands, the fold of the envelope still feels fresh, like who ever sent it to me just licked it close.

Closing the door behind me, I look out into the horizon at the sunset, hoping that today of all the days that I sat and waited for answers, that this day would finally become that day.