‹ Prequel: City of Dark Angels

Delilahs Darkness

Blanking Out

The sun shines through the window as I awaken the next morning, my alarm is going off but I reach over and press snooze. An extra ten minutes of sleep won’t hurt.

As I roll over to put my phone back on the nightstand I see that my roommate Rebecka hasn’t returned yet. I sit up and look around, thinking maybe she left early to get a head start on her day. But her bed is still the same unmade mess that it was the day before, she hasn’t been here at all.

I send her a quick text checking up on her, hoping maybe she just went to her boyfriends last night and her phone died or something. I tried not to think the worst but something in the pit of my stomach told me that something was very, very wrong about the situation.

A knock on the door sets my heart into chaos mode, I get up from my bed and walk to the door. I open it to see my RA standing there with tears streaming down her face.

“There’s been an accident…” She says, reaching out to place a warm comforting hand on my shoulder.

***

“Is she going to be okay?” I ask the police officer, that informed me that Rebecka had been attacked in an alley way late last night.

“She’s alive, but in very critical condition.” He tells me and I breathe out a sigh of relief, grateful that she is still here. “But she had a text on her phone from you, around ten thirty that night saying to meet her in that very alley way.”

“That’s impossible, I had my phone on me the entire night and I hadn’t text her until this morning checking up on her.” I am now finding myself very perplexed. I take out my phone from my pocket to show him proof, and indeed is not only the text message from this morning but the one from last night as well.

“I was Skyping my boyfriend most of the night, I don’t recall texting her.”

“We’ll look into it.” The officer says to me, and I leave the office with more questions than answers and walk down the hall to my Art History class which I am now late for.

I open the door to my class and walk inside, the entire class stares at me upon my entrance. I ignore them and head towards my seat at the back and open up my laptop.

“Better late then never Miss Ivy.” The teacher says and it causes a ripple of snickers throughout the class. “We are working on the assignment from last week, choosing your favorite artist in history and reconstructing a piece they created. The paper that goes with it is worth 50% of your final grade in this class, we are spending this class researching that artist.”

“Sounds good.” I say, a bit distracted from what I just experienced. I open up Skype and tell Travis what just happened to my roommate and how I may be involved with it.

“Maybe someone hacked your phone to frame you?” He replies almost instantly after sending the message.

“But why though?”

“Make any enemies there lately?” He asks, and I frown.

“Other than my Art History teacher who hates when people are late, nope everyone seems to like me here and I get along with pretty much everyone.”

“Strange…” He says.

“Very.” I agree, and tell him I better go before this teacher ends up disliking me even more.

“Call you later tonight babe.”

A dark sensation fills me once again, just like the one that filled me last night. I close my eyes shut, hoping to get rid of the feeling but find myself falling deeper into a pit of darkness. My body feeling like its outside of itself, and I feel far away as voices become distorted.

I see the candle becoming lit again, and like last time I walk towards it. I feel as if I am a very strange vivid dream, my body becoming uncontrollable to its own movements.

“What is this?” I ask into the darkness, my eyes adjusting to it and I am able to decipher the room that I am in. A sickening feeling washes over me as I realize I am in the cabin from the brink. “Why am I here.”

“To help me.” Raviera says, appearing in front of me.

“Help you with what, why would I help you? What do you want from me.”

“You’ll find out soon enough.” He says, and with the snap of his fingers again I am outside in the garden of the school sitting on a bench.

“How did I get here?” I ask, confused.

“You walked?” My friend Rachael tells me, looking at me perplexed. “You met me outside of class, and then we went to the cafeteria to get coffee and now we are outside before our next classes.”

“I don’t remember any of that.”

“You were very quiet the entire time… you barely said a word; and Travis called and you ignored him.”

“I did?”

“Yes, you did. That’s not like you Delilah, are you okay? I found out about your roommate, I’m sure she will pull through.”

“Apparently I texted her last night to meet me in the alleyway, but I don’t remember doing so.” I tell her, her face distorting in the same confusion mine had when I had discovered this.

“I would never hurt Rebecka, but now I fear they suspect me doing so.” I say, starting to feel the fear filling up inside of me.

“I know you wouldn’t do such a thing, but when you left class earlier a girl walked past and you shoved her into a wall.”

“I do not remember that at all, it’s like I blanked out.” I shake my head, feeling a harsh headache coming on. “I just feel very strange lately.”

“Maybe you need to see the nurse, could it have to do with the accident?”

“It’s been nearly a year since the accident, I think I am fine from that now. Most of the side effects have disappeared, I’m sure me blanking out has nothing to do with it.”

“It wouldn’t hurt to check in.” She says, and I nod in agreement just to get the subject changed.

“Are you going to that party tonight?” I ask.

“I might go, are you?”

“Thinking about it.” I say, as I feel my phone buzzing from a message. It’s Travis asking how my day is going and why I ignored his call earlier.

“I blanked out.” I reply to him.

“Blanked out?”

I explain what had happened earlier in class when I ‘blanked out’ and apparently shoved someone against a wall and have no memory whatsoever about walking outside with my friend.

“What is going on with you Delilah?”

“Ravieras back.” I confess to him.

“I thought we got rid of him when we saved the City of Angels?” My phone rings from him calling me and I pick it up right away.

“Something is not right.”