Doing Better

distraction

Jack never showed up the next day. I sat in my apartment alone, waiting patiently. I watched Parks and Rec lazily on the couch, checking the time on my phone constantly. As the hours passed the idea of him and I ever talking again became more and more slim. Deep inside, I was almost relieved he didn't show up though. I still wasn't entirely sure if I was ready to hear him out yet. As much as I wanted to forgive and forget I knew it wasn't going to happen. Lisa was right, you couldn't just turn off your feelings.

Weeks passed and I still hadn't heard anything. I began to forget about him. I distracted myself with work and Lisa and the wedding and after a while I started feeling okay again. At work, I had become something completely different. My motivation was at an all time high and I was feeling really good. With Lisa, I was just so glad to have her back. Being able to talk to her without feeling guilty for abandoning her for so long felt great. Plus, helping her with the wedding planning was great too.

Around the middle of April I started going out more frequently. Lisa and I would head out to our favourite bar ever Friday night to let off the steam that had developed over the week. We'd drink and dance and just enjoy ourselves until late into the morning where we'd crash at my place and disgustingly live out our hangovers.

This routine continued throughout the rest of the year. I'd work during the week, drink on the weekends, and on Sunday I would veg out and have some alone time. It worked for me. It was nice.