Status: The three piece no one asked for.

Wings

our hearts beat in time

Image

Each quake of the earth beneath his feet rolls in time with the rattle of his lungs; the air is humid, heavy across his shoulders as he fights to pull in a breath. It burns as it goes down and a palm finds its way to his mouth just in time for the spasms to overtake him, the taste of copper shooting up his throat as his mouth fills, hand pressing harder against his lips as they threaten to part around a cough.

In the end, his attempts prove futile as he erupts, folding over, spewing crimson over his tongue and past his teeth, vision blurry as he watches it pass through his outstretched fingers and collide with the dirt beneath his feet. He wonders, as he often does, if he will die here and now, consumed by this, his darkness, his burden, before he even has a chance to subdue his target.

It only takes half a second for his mind to brush the weak thought aside, disgust flooding his pale features, pooling in the deep violet bags beneath his eyes as he clears his throat. Dragging his hands along the front of his long, black coat, a sneer stretches his thin, bloodied lips as a familiar perverse, pitchy cackle sinks its claws into his attention, piercing his heart like a knife spearing straight through its target.

And he breathes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Put me in a padded cell god.