This Night

This Night.

God she looks amazing.

Seeing her walk down that aisle, in that dress, made my heart flutter. Licking my lips and swallowing the lump in my throat, my eyes never left her as she made her way. Not until she was at the end of the aisle and standing opposite me. She looked up at me through her eyelashes and smiled shyly before turning her gaze to wait for her best friend to follow behind her - escorted by her father and dressed in white.

The doors at the end of the aisle had opened again and as I took in the woman that stood there, I patted my friend on his shoulder, "She looks beautiful, man." I spoke quietly to him, but he was transfixed by her. The smile on his face evident of how he was feeling today. Not nervous like some men are on their wedding day, just nothing but love for his bride-to-be radiating from him for everyone to see.

I stood and watched as Hailey, Laurie's best friend and Dominic, mine, vowed to spend their lives together. The service was short and intimate and, as Hailey and Dom headed up the aisle as husband and wife, I held my arm out for Hailey to take as we - best man and maid of honour - and the rest of the wedding party followed suit behind them.

There had been some history between us, which may not have ended in the best way, but we put it aside for our friends. Flowers in one hand, she hitched her dress - a beautiful dusky, vintage pink that complimented her pale skin - slightly to make it down the two small steps to the aisle, where she linked her arm with mine and smiled silently.

"You look beautiful, Laurie." I whispered to her, covering her hand with my free one.

"And you look very handsome, Tom." The small smile never left her face the whole way out the church. Maybe, just maybe, we could get back to how things were.

*~*~*~*~*~*

"Ladies and gentleman, Mr and Mrs. Tate will now have their first dance as husband and wife." The MC announced and all the guests clapped as Dom held his hand out for Hailey to take, escorting her to the dance floor, where they danced to their song.

Laurie and I hadn't really spoken the whole day. Not through hostility or anything else, we had just both been busy with our various 'duties'.

There had always been attraction and chemistry between us but our timing was awful. My word, it was appalling. We had had a fling one summer a couple of years ago that sparked the flame between us and we had 'benefited' from our friendship on and off for a few months. Then other relationships happened and we had agreed that it couldn't work between us, it was having an unhealthy effect on us. We were arguing, there was jealousy on both parts - it wasn't good.

We have both had relationships since then but I could never deny that there was still something there. We didn't speak for a long time but I always held a flame for Laurie.

And I still do.

"The bride and groom would like to invite the best man and maid of honour to join them on the dance floor." The voice broke through their song and I stood up, straightening my waistcoat and walking to where Laurie sat only a few seats away from me.

I held my hand out and she looked at it, her gaze travelling up my arm before meeting my eyes. The familiar thud in my chest was felt again, "May I?" I asked her, knowing she would say yes anyway, it was for her best friend.

"Of course." Her quiet voice broke through. She gave me her hand and I enclosed it in mine, allowing her to stand before leading her to the floor.

Keeping her hand in mine I gently placed my other hand on her small waist - it fit perfectly. Her hand wrapped its way around me resting on my shoulder blade, almost puling me closer to her and keeping me in place. Not that I was going anywhere.

[song lyrics]
"Didn't I say I wasn't ready for a romance Didn't we promise we would only be friends?
And so we danced
Though it was only a slow dance
I started breaking my promises right there and then"
[/song lyrics]

We were slowly swaying along to the beat of the song picked by Hailey and Dom when Laurie stepped further in to my chest, closing the gap between us. I pulled our intertwined hands to my chest and held them there, resting over my heart. I had a hard time remembering the rules we had laid out all that time ago. Her ear rested on my jaw and I breathed in her scent, her perfume was intoxicating. At that moment, it was only the two of us in that room. Nothing and no-one else mattered.

"I've missed you." She whispered in my ear, making sure only I could hear. I was taken aback.

[song lyrics]
"Now that you're here it's not the same situation Suddenly I don't remember the rules anymore"
[/song lyrics]

I squeezed her hand that little bit tighter in mine, "I missed you so much, Laurie." I murmured into her ear. Her grip on my back tightened, "I think we need to talk." She replied, and my arm snaked further round her waist.

[song lyrics]
"Didn't I say I needed time to forget her
Aren't you running from someone who's not over you"
[/song lyrics]

"What about Jay?" I asked, treading carefully with this particular subject. I had broken up with my girlfriend just as she had gotten together with Jay. I didn't like him. Part of me now realises that that was because he had Laurie. And I didn't.

"It's over. Long over." She replied before I could worry any further. That fact was like music to my ears. "He slept with his secretary. Multiple times. Such a cliché, huh?"

"Laur, I-" I tried to apologise but she cut me off.

"Don't. He was an ass." She smiled up at me, "I'm just glad you're here, Tom." A gentle sigh escaped her lips, "You've no idea how glad." She laid her head on my shoulder as the song neared its end.

[song lyrics]
"How many nights have I been thinking about you Wanting to hold you But knowing you would not be there"
[/song lyrics]

The song ended and we clapped as the newlyweds headed back to their seats, the dance floor quickly filling up with guests, ready for the celebrations to start.

I kept a hold of Laurie's hand as we left the dance floor, "Can we talk now?" I asked. "Somewhere a bit more quiet?"

She nodded, "Of course." and allowed me to guide her outside the venue. We headed down the stairs from the venue, the entire path lined with hurricane lanterns.

[song lyrics]
"This night you're mine
It's only you and I
I'll tell you to forget yesterday This night we are together "
[/song lyrics]

The candle lit path led to a fire pit, surrounded by wooden chairs. Trees surrounding the area were lit with white fairy lights, miniature vintage lampshades hanging from every branch gave a dim colour to some of the lights. A small drinks trolley sat to the side and next to my chair a basket of blankets with a 'Please Snuggle' sign attached to it - that made me laugh gently.

Laurie sat down on one of the chairs, I waited until she was comfortable to sit down myself, grabbing a blanket and draping it over her shoulders.

"Thanks." She threw a smile my way as she spoke quietly. "It's so lovely to see you again, Tom. You're looking really good. I've missed this."

It's now or never, I thought to myself.

"Can I be honest with you, Laur?" I asked, not looking at her but at my hands as I wrung them together

"Always. You know that." She adjusted the blanket on her shoulders and turned her full attention to me. My stomach was in knots.

"I want to forget everything that has happened. I don't know where I stand with you, Laurie, and I don't know what I mean to you." That's it Tom, use your words. "All I know is every time I think of you, I want to be with you."

Her gaze flitted from me to her hand as it rested on her knee. "Oh." She breathed out. Oh God, what have I done? In for a penny, in for a pound I figure. "And, without being too crude, I want you in every way there is to want a person. And I want that to start tonight."

There. It was out there. She knew exactly how I felt. And now she was sitting there. Silent.

Shit.

Her voice eventually broke through the silence just as I was about to walk away.

"My heart won't let you leave my head." Her voice croaked, struggling to get the words out. I turned to her, only to see her bright, bottle green eyes sparkle with tears. "When we didn't talk, it killed me Tom. It broke my heart. And it made me realise that I need you in my life."

She wiped away tears and I pulled my pocket square out, handing it over to her. She let out a laugh as she accepted it, wiping her cheek. "You know, I should be happy I'm finally able to tell you this. Not blubbering."

I moved my chair closer to hers, reaching out for her hand and linking my fingers with hers, silently encouraging her to continue.

And after a few moments, she did; "I only want two things in this world: I want you and I want us." The relief that washed over me as she spoke was palpable. She lifted her head up to look at me and I couldn't stop myself. My hand reached out for her cheek, tilting her head towards me as her hand rested on my wrist keeping me where she wanted me.

She closed the gap between us and kissed me. Her lips felt amazing on mine, soft and plump. This was something I had wanted to a long, long time now. I pulled her from her chair into my lap and she wrapped the blanket around both of us as I deepened the kiss, running my hand up her side and into her hair.

We eventually broke the kiss, and just sat in silence, taking each other in. "I don't want tonight to end." Laurie whispered as she rested her forehead on mine.

My hand rubbed up and down her back, "Who says it has to? This night can last forever."

[song lyrics]
"Tomorrow is such a long time away,
This night can last forever."
[/song lyrics]
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you liked it - let me know what you think.