Almost Human

☾ ☾ ☾

She's human, almost, except for the fact her pupils are slits, and maybe that her teeth are a a lot little too sharp.
She's human, almost, except for when she'd fallen out of a tree and broken her leg so bad the bone was sticking out of her leg, but she wasn't crying, wasn't in pain, wasn't in shock.
She's human, almost, except for she predicts things before they came--big and little. What song came on the radio. The freak storm in Florida. She's always right.
She's human, almost, except for how the movement of her eyes and her limbs imply something monstrous animalistic.
She's human, almost, except for the times when her tattoos are in different places than they were a moment ago. When asked about it, she just tips her head and smiles.
She's human, almost, except if you focus on her fingers, and their tips look a little too sharp to be natural.
She's human, almost, except if you mistake her horns for hair the way her hair curls frames her face for horns.
She's human, almost, except for her eyes, concentrating on something the other's eyes slid off of, couldn't focus on.
She's human, almost, except if you think she looks like something out of an urban legend, and if you speak those thoughts aloud, you won't last long.
She's human, almost, except for the fact she knows a little too much about history, and simply dismisses any questions of how she knows about how she knows all of this with a shrug or 'I-paid-attention' (but she never says what she was paying attention to).
She's human, almost, except for when her skin is split open, and you're paying enough attention to notice the shade of her blood is just a little off.
She's human, almost, except for when the cadence of her voice sounds more like a wolf's howl than words.
----
(She's not human, she's something more. Her name is Erzulie and your name is Hiaka. You are a soft daughter; you have never wanted anything that would endanger you, except for now, except for her. For Erzulie, you have changed, would bleed. Her lips would be sharp to touch, you think. You made three mistakes: You watched. You wanted. You smiled when her cold hands touched yours.)