Status: Complete ♥

Freedom

1/1

The lights hurt McKenna's eyes as she lay in the hospital bed, watching nervously as doctors and nurses moved around her. People kept asking her questions, kept trying to touch her and all she wanted to do was scream at them to leave her alone... but she couldn't.

Finally, they left her alone, turning down the lights as they exited the room and closing the door behind them, shutting out all the noise from outside. After five years of being chained up alone in the dark, the sudden freedom McKenna now had was overwhelming and she was terrified.

Day after day, she had sat in the cramped underground space with no light and the small amount of food that her captor allowed her to have. Now the chains were gone and she was free from the hell she had been forced to live, but that didn't take away the paralyzing fear that she felt.

It wasn't long before a nurse entered the room, placing a tray of food on the bed table with a smile and quickly checking the machine that was beeping loudly beside McKenna's bed. Opening the door to leave, the nurse exchanged words with someone out in the corridor and held the door open as two people that McKenna didn't recognize entered.

The man and woman approached the bed cautiously, leaving a safe distance between them which allowed McKenna to relax a little. The man's eyes were the first thing that she noticed, filled with anger and a hint of sadness rather than the pity that she was used to.

"Hey there," the woman said, causing McKenna to flinch and shift further away from them, "I'm JJ and this is my friend Derek, we're with the FBI. I know that you've been through a lot and that you probably don't feel like talking, but can you tell me your name?"

Staying silent with her gaze fixed firmly on her hands, McKenna jumped as someone's phone started ringing and heard the door shut as someone left.

"The food looks pretty good and they even gave you extra jello," Derek stated, drawing McKenna's attention to the food that she hadn't yet touched, "Is it okay if I sit down?"

Nodding hesitantly, McKenna watched from the corner of her eye as he sat in the chair beside her bed and shifted slightly so that she could look at him. Removing his badge from his belt without a word, he placed it on the table next to her food and settled back.

Derek stayed for about an hour, before he stepped outside to speak to the woman he had been with earlier and McKenna reached out with a shaking hand to take a closer look at his badge. She looked at the picture first, which had Derek Morgan SSA printed neatly underneath and moved her attention to the top section that told her that he was a Special Agent with the FBI.

Placing the badge back on the table as Derek rejoined her, she glanced at the food again and reached for the small pot of jello that was closest to her. Taking a couple of small spoonful's, she pushed the other pot towards Derek and watched as he took it with a warm smile.

"My names McKenna."

"What about a last name?" Derek replied, keeping his voice low and calm.

"Harris."

Pulling out his phone, Derek pressed a few buttons and then slipped it back into his trouser pocket. Finishing her jello, McKenna put the empty pot on the tray and looked at the sandwich with uncertainty.

"You can have it you know... it's yours," Derek reassured her.

Reluctantly reaching over to take the sandwich, McKenna caught the glass of orange juice with her arm and instantly felt dread wash over her as it tipped.

"I'm sorry," McKenna mumbled, flinching as Derek stood up quickly, "It was an accident, I didn't mean to do it... I'm sorry."

"It's okay, just relax... I'm going to call a nurse to come and clean this up," Derek told her, leaning over and pressing the cool button.

McKenna was silent as the nurse cleaned up the mess, keeping her head down and her eyes on the bed sheets. Once the nurse had gone, McKenna took the sandwich and glanced over at Derek who gave her an encouraging nod as she bit into it.

Exhaustion soon took hold and McKenna drifted into a restless sleep, waking up a few hours later to find her room empty. The next morning Derek returned with a doctor and nurse in tow, smiling when he saw that she was awake.

"Morning McKenna," the doctor greeted cheerfully as he looked over her chart, "I need to examine you, is that okay?"

"I'll stay if you want me too," Derek offered, obviously seeing the fear and panic that flashed in McKenna's eyes.

McKenna nodded, her entire body trembling with fear and tensing as the doctor began touching her skin. Derek had to leave shortly after, in order for McKenna to change into a hospital gown and she suddenly found herself feeling extremely vulnerable as the doctor did the examination.

It wasn't until the nurse tried to touch her that McKenna freaked out and put herself in the corner, hugging her knees close to her chest. The doctor tried to talk to her, but McKenna covered her ears with her hands and allowed the tears that had formed to roll down her cheeks.

Watching as he instructed the nurse to leave, she slowly removed her hands from her ears and wrapped them back around her knees. Waiting until she had calmed down a bit, the doctor let Derek back in and left them alone to talk.

"You know, it's okay to be scared," Derek said as he crouched down to talk at her level, "Things are going to be scary for a while, but no one is going to hurt you... I'll make sure of that."

"Do you promise?" McKenna whispered.

"I promise," Derek replied, moving a little closer and holding out his hand for her to take.

Hesitating for a few seconds, McKenna took it and allowed him to pull her up. Climbing back onto the bed, McKenna made sure that her legs were covered properly and took a deep breath as she spoke.

"Are you going to find her?"

"Her?" Derek inquired with a frown, "McKenna, was it a woman who kidnapped you?"

"It was a man that kidnapped me, but he took me straight to a woman..."

"Can you remember anything about the place you were taken to?"

"The man blindfolded me," McKenna mumbled.

"What about something that you could hear or smell?"

"I..." McKenna began, before falling silent and lowering her gaze back to her hands in defeat.

"It's okay," Derek reassured her, "Can I try something that might help you remember?"

"Okay," McKenna whispered in agreement.

"What I want you to do is close your eyes and take a deep breath," Derek instructed, causing McKenna to glance over at him nervously before closing her eye and taking a deep breath, "I know that it was a long time ago, but I want you to go back to the day that you were taken... what were you doing when the man grabbed you?"

"I was walking home from school," McKenna replied, reluctantly allowing her mind to wander back to that day, "It was hot out and I decided to walk through the park, since it was the quickest way home. I remember that the park was quiet because the schools hadn't long finished, but I didn't know that I was being followed until someone grabbed me from behind and put their hand over my mouth to stop me from screaming."

"What can you tell me about the man, McKenna?"

"He was big and the hand that was over my mouth felt rough against my face," McKenna told him, although she knew that that information wouldn't help, "I remember that he smelt like fire and dirt."

"Can you tell me what happened next?"

"I struggled, but he was too strong and I ended up in the back of a black van. It was pitch black, since there were no windows and the heat was intense," McKenna explained, "I wasn't in the van long, before it came to a sudden stop and I was thrown into the back doors. The doors were opened and I remember having to shield my eyes from the brightness of the sun, before I was blindfolded."

"What did the man do next?"

"He led me forward... I don't want to go in that room," McKenna stated, feeling Derek take her hand and tighten his grip a little to ground her as tears streamed down her face.

"You're doing great, McKenna, but I need you to focus on your surroundings and tell me if there is anything that you can remember hearing or smelling."

"I could hear birds singing and something in the distance, I think it might have been a boat or jet ski," McKenna recalled, "There was the sound of banging, like someone hammering wood and it got louder as we moved."

"Is there anything else?"

"I could smell freshly cut wood and something sweet, but I don't know what it was."

"Okay, that's enough for now."

McKenna opened her eyes; feeling suddenly exhausted and gripped Derek's hand tighter as she allowed her eyes to drift shut.

***

Derek watched as McKenna fell asleep, waiting until her grip loosened and her breathing evened out before stepping outside. Glancing back through the window to make sure she was still sleeping, Derek pulled out his phone to call Garcia and waited for her to answer.

"Tell me something good, baby girl," Derek said as soon as the call was answered.

"If you're hoping for something happy, then I have nothing," Garcia replied sounding apologetic.

"What do you have for me?"

"McKenna Harris was kidnapped five years ago on her way home from school, the police investigation turned up nothing and after six months the case went cold," Garcia told him, "A year after her disappearance, her mum Kelly Harris committed suicide and McKenna became an orphan."

"Wait, you’re telling me that this kid has no one?"

"Kelly Harris was an only child and her parents passed away when McKenna was young."

"What about her dad?"

"I've looked, but as far as I can find there wasn't one listed."

"Were you able to find anything using the info I sent you?"

"I sent a list of possible locations to Hotch and the team, which are being checked as we speak. Do you think the newest abduction and McKenna's were done by the same person?"

"We think so, but I don't think the guys are going to be able to find the location without McKenna's help," Derek replied, looking down the corridor towards McKenna's room and sighing.

"Maybe you could show her some pictures or take her with you."

"Thanks, Penelope."

"Are you okay?" She asked before he could hang up, "This one's a bad one, huh?"

"The ones involving kids usually are, but this one is different for me... I connected with McKenna on a personal level and I'm not sure why. All I know is that this girl is beyond traumatized and she's all alone, but I know that I can help her through this."

"That's why I love you, Derek Morgan... you're a superhero for those in need," Garcia replied, "McKenna is lucky to have you there with her."

Derek hung up, heading to the nurse's station and approaching McKenna's doctor.

"Hey doc, I need to get back to my team," Derek informed him, handing over a card with his number on it, "When McKenna wakes up, can you let her know that I will be back as soon as I can and if she needs me, or something happens, just give me a ring."

"Of course."

***

When McKenna woke up, it was early morning and she was alone in her room. It wasn't long before the doctor walked in and picked up her chart, smiling over at her as he examined it.

"Agent Morgan will be back soon," the doctor stated, placing the chart back at the end of her bed and checking the machine beside her, "If you need anything, just push the call button and I will be in as soon as I'm free."

Nodding, McKenna watched as the doctor left the room again and closed her eyes.

‘Everywhere McKenna looked she was met with nothing but darkness, the room she was in had no windows and she was scared. Her entire body was trembling, but if she was honest she couldn’t tell if it was due to the lack of heat, or the fact that she no longer knew where she was and if she’d ever see her mum again.

The chains were heavy as she pulled on them, the metal cold against her skin and the pain of the metal digging into her flesh emanated throughout her entire body. She soon gave up, collapsing to the ground in defeat and curling herself into a ball as silent tears rolled down her face.

Time seemed to lose meaning, as the days merged into one never-ending cycle of darkness and McKenna began to lose hope of being found.'


The door to her room opening snapped her back to reality and she looked over to find Derek entering, accompanied but another man that she didn't recognize.

"Hey," Derek said, sitting down in the chair next to her, "This is my boss, Hotch, he's in charge of your case and was hoping that we could ask you something."

"Okay."

"From what you told me about the place you were taken to, we were able to make a list of possible locations where you could have been held," Derek explained, "The problem is that we can't narrow that list down anymore and searching them all one by one will take too long..."

"What can I do to help?"

"We want you to come to the locations with us," Hotch added, moving to stand closer to the bed, "We would never normally ask, but another girl has been kidnapped and we believe that it may be the same people that took you."

McKenna really wanted to help, but just the thought of going back to that place sent fear through her and she wasn't sure that she was strong enough to face it. She was terrified, but the thought of someone else going through what she did, especially if she could have helped save them, made her choice simple and she gave the two men a nod.

“Will you stay with me?”

“I’ll be there the entire time,” Derek replied, handing her a backpack, “My friend Penelope sent you some clothes and other bits that she thought you might appreciate.”

“She didn’t have to do that,” McKenna mumbled, accepting the bag and opening it.

Climbing off the bed, McKenna took the clean clothes out and went into the bedroom to change out of her hospital gown. Heading back into the room, she zipped up the backpack and swung it onto her back as she followed the two agents out to their car.

Sitting in the back of the SUV, McKenna stared out the window at the passing scenery and wondered if she really could help find the missing girl. Watching as they pulled up outside the police station, she climbed out and stuck close to Derek's side as they went in.

"Okay guys, this is McKenna," Hotch announced as they entered a small room, "McKenna, I'd like to introduce SSA Jareau, Blake, Rossi and Dr. Spencer Reid."

"Garcia just sent us the list of possible locations again, but this time they're ranked from most likely to least likely," Rossi stated, handing a piece of paper to Hotch and offering McKenna a small smile.

The first three locations were a waste of time and McKenna was beginning to doubt that she could help at all, until they reached the next one on the list. Stepping out of the car, she took in her surroundings and froze as a familiar smell hit her nose.

Grabbing Derek's arm, she stepped closer to him and shifted her gaze towards the house that stood in front of them. Glancing over at Hotch, McKenna nodded to let him know that it was the right place and then watched as the team moved in.

Glancing around nervously as she waited with a deputy by the SUV's, McKenna let out a scream as a loud bang sounded from somewhere nearby and the deputy fell to the floor. Feeling someone wrap their arm around her throat, she struggled to get free from his grasp and stopped as a gun was pressed to the side of her head.

"FBI... put the gun down and let her go," Derek demanded angrily as he pointed his gun in their direction.

Memories of the day that she was taken rushed back into her mind as the smell of fire and dirt filled her nose, causing her to resume struggling against her captor's grip.

"Make one wrong move and I'll put a bullet through her brain," the man growled, backing up a little and dragging McKenna with him.

"It's over," Rossi added, causing the man to tighten his grip, "You have nowhere left to run."

"Okay," Derek said, lowering his gun and placing it back in its holster, "Look, my guns away... let's just talk."

"I don't need a god damn shrink, just let me go and she lives," the man shouted as McKenna heard a click beside her ear, "I could always just shoot her now and have you put an end to my misery."

"That's not going to happen," Hotch replied, stepping up next to Derek, "Let her go, she doesn't deserve to be punished for your guilt... you never wanted any part of this did you?"

"She said that she knew where my daughter was, but she wouldn't tell me unless I got her a girl," the man explained, "I just wanted my little girl back, but once I got back she told me that she'd never even seen my daughter and by then it was too late to fix the wrongs I had done."

"Why didn't you report it?" JJ asked.

"Hope that there was a chance, but it doesn't matter now anyway because I don't have anything to live for anymore and neither does she," the man mumbled, "Nobody really cares about you, you're just another traumatized kid that they have to deal with... this will set you free, I promise."

"Don't listen to him, McKenna... I care and I want to help you," Derek argued, "She is just a kid, a good kid that bad stuff has happened to and she deserves a chance at a better life."

"Why don't you ask her how she felt being stuck with someone that she didn't know for five years?" Hotch suggested, trying to keep the anger from his voice, "Ask her what happened?"

"I don't need to hear any of that."

"I think you do," Hotch insisted as Derek took another step closer, "Go ahead and tell him, McKenna."

"Lonely, scared, and vulnerable mostly," McKenna mumbled as tears streamed down her face and her entire body trembled violently, "The abuse started after about six months, I would get punished for her having a bad day or someone else's wrongdoing... please, just let me go."

"You don't understand..." The man whispered, although his grip on her loosened ever so slightly, "People won't understand what you've been through."

"It's true that no one will ever understand what she went through, but that doesn't mean that she has no future," Rossi stated, "She's still young and has yet to experience the world without fear of what tomorrow would bring... this is her chance at a fresh start."

"I know why you're doing this, Eric," Hotch added, putting his phone back in his pocket and looking over at the man, "Your daughter Hannah was kidnapped when she was thirteen, but she couldn't handle life once she was home and free, could she?"

"She was my life, my little girl and she was taken from me twice..." Eric replied, his voice thick with emotion, "I found her in her room with a note that read freedom was all I wanted, but it's just all too much for me to take."

"You don't want to hurt McKenna, Eric," Derek said, "Let her go, let us... let me help her."

A few tense moments passed in silence, before Eric eventually dropped the gun and pushed McKenna into Derek who wrapped his arms around her protectively as she sobbed into his chest.

***

Derek was sat on the plane thinking about McKenna as they flew home from yet another hard case, it had been almost a month since the team had stopped Eric from killing her and returned the other kidnapped girl to her family. Pulling out his phone, he scrolled through his contacts and pressed the call button once he reached McKenna's name.

"Hey kid," he mumbled as soon as she answered.

"Tough day?" McKenna asked, causing Derek to chuckle and smile a little.

"More like a tough week, I just wanted to hear your voice that's all... how are you doing?"

"I don't know, sometimes I think I'm okay and then something will happen that makes me realize I'm not," McKenna told him, her voice cracking as she spoke and Derek's heart clenched at how vulnerable she sounded, "I don't like it here, Derek... everyone thinks that they know how I feel and they don’t."

"Just give it some time," Derek replied, although he knew that it would take a lot more than time for her to heal, "I'm coming to see you this weekend, but until then I'm only a phone call away if you need me..."

"I know, I've got to go... I have group therapy," McKenna added, sounding disappointed, "I'll ring you tomorrow like normal."

"Okay kid, keep your chin up..."

"Be careful."

Hanging up, Derek put the phone back on the table and glanced around to find Blake smiling at him.

"She's lucky to have you in her life," Blake said, but Derek couldn't help thinking that he was the lucky one and simply offered his colleague a small smile in response.

Everyone at the BAU on occasion needed something to remind them that they actually made a difference, that the job they do was important and that something for Derek was McKenna. He had always kept his work separate from his life outside the job, but there was something special about McKenna and she had become the light in the dark world that he often resided in.
♠ ♠ ♠
Decided to re-write this and just change it up a little ♥