Status: Its going pretty good

Paper Hearts

Something in Me Knew That It Was Real

Father Erwin exited his church and inhaled deeply.

He had been putting off searching for a partner for weeks now, and had only finally decided to find one when the villagers stopped coming to him for hunting jobs.

‘It's dangerous to go alone, Father.’ they would tell him.

The priest was grateful for their interest in his well being, but being denied the thrill of hunting, was affecting his mood.

He loved his village, but being stuck behind the protective walls got old.

He knew he was meant to be out beyond the walls, to see as much of the outside world as he could.

It was probably not what a man of God should think about, but he couldn't fight his heart's desire.

-

As soon as he got to the village, he was met with a huge commotion.

He recognized a fellow priest and he started walking toward him. The wall turned into a run when he saw he had a young man in his grasp.

“Father Mike! What's going on?” Father Mike looked over at Father Erwin, his light hair falling into his eyes.

“Father Erwin! I just caught this dangerous dhampir! He’s the one responsible for the attack on the convent! I went there after this bloodsucker attacked! He smells exactly like the one that attacked them! This is the scum that attacked our sisters!”

Father Erwin’s eyes went wide in shock as he looked down at the dhampir. He was pale skinned, with short dark hair and eyes like cold steel.

“Let go of me, you piece of shit!” The dhampir yelled, struggling in Father Mike’s arms. A dhampir’s strength was supposed to surpass a mortals but Father Mike was incredibly strong. Also, Father Erwin could tell this dhampir was young, no more than a hundred years old. “I didn't kill those women! I swear I didn’t!”

“Father Mike, how certain are you that this is the murderer?” Father Erwin looked at his comrade.

“Father Erwin, I can smell him! When have I ever been wrong?” The blonde priest raised his hands in a pacifying gesture.

“I'm not doubting your abilities, my friend.” Father Erwin took a step closer. “However, doesn't he bear a striking resemblance to that notorious vampire, Kenny the Ripper?”

Both the priest and dhampir let their expressions flood with surprise.

“That would explain the smell…” Father Mike stated, his grip starting to slowly loosen.

“Not quite yet, Father.” Father Erwin stepped closer to the dhampir and knelt down in front of him. “What is your relation to Kenny the Ripper?”

The dhampir averted his gaze.

“I'm not sure. I haven't seen him in so long. I think he knew my mother. But other than that, I have no relation to him.” Father Erwin turned his blue eyes back to Father Mike and gave him a look.

“Do you want to stay in the village?” Father Erwin asked. The dhampir looked up at the priest. His cold eyes staring right into the priests very soul.

Father Erwin felt his heart speeding up. Being scrutinized under this creatures gaze made such unholy thoughts flood his mind, nearly drowning all his senses.

He cleared his throat and gave the dhampir a smile.

“So? What is your answer? I'm only asking for my own benefit of course. I'm in need of a hunting partner and what better partner to have than a dhampir.”

The dhampir gave a growl and turned away.

“Fine.” he muttered. “You're lucky I have nowhere else to be, priest.” With that, Father Erwin rose to his feet and extended his hand to the dhampir as Father Mike released him.

“What's your name?” The dhampir fixed his clothes, shoving one hand deep into a pocket on his black leather jacket.

“Levi.” he said softly, his cold hand sending chills down Father Erwin’s spine. “My name is Levi.”

-

Erwin opened his eyes slowly. He sat up even slower, pushing his blonde hair out of his face.

He sighed and looked over in the bed on the other side of the room, seeing his father's eyes on him.

“Another dream?” His father asked as he slowly rose up himself.

“Yea,” Erwin responded before quickly getting out of bed to help him. “Dad, take it easy.” Mr. Smith gave a short laugh, waving his son off.

“Erwin, I'm fine.” He motioned for his cane which Erwin retrieved for him. “We still have a couple of hours before the store opens. I'll make coffee and you can tell me about your dream over breakfast.”

Erwin smiled as he watched his dad walk the short distance to their stovetop.

He waited for his father to disappear into their small bathroom, to retrieve a small notebook from under his pillow. He quickly shoved it into his pocket, watching his father as he emerged from the bathroom with a lot full of water.

Erwin took this time to set their pull out table up. He grabbed a foldable chair from his spot against the wall and popped it open, sinking into it with a tired sigh.

These dreams have been happening for a while. Erwin couldn't understand what they meant, but he clung to the familiarity of them.

He and Levi grow so close in these dreams, feeling a mutual respect and eventually a forbidden and unspoken love.

Erwin looked over to his dad again, seeing him crack eggs into a frying pan and he quietly pulled the small notepad from the pocket of his pajama bottoms.

He opened it to a fresh page, skipping past all the others that contained small rough sketches of the half vampire that Erwin had been seeing in his dreams.

Erwin quickly began his sketch, the main focus being Levi’s eyes. When Erwin first saw them, they were so cold and empty. It was only after what Erwin assumed was weeks maybe months of being partners, did a warmth start to shine in them.

Erwin smiled down at the small sketch, his thumb gently caressing the picture.

“Levi.” He sighed softly.

“Did you say something son?” Erwin closed the notebook and quickly put it back in his pocket.

“Nothing, just thinking out loud.”

His father nodded as he placed a cup of coffee down in front of him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Father Mike...hmmm