Status: Thanks for reading!

Meant to Be

Silenced

It was quiet in Chick’s room as she and Steve waited for Tony to show. They sat on the couch, across from the TV. The couch was cold and modern, and both were having difficulty getting comfortable. Chick sat with her solid right leg underneath her left, and with her cheek propped against her fist. Her elbow rested on the arm of the couch. Steve had spread his arms over the back of the couch, letting his legs stretch out. He was still cooling down from his run- soothing his muscles and bones. They were watching the news on low volume, talking to pass the time.

It felt good to have something to distract Chick from her own mind.

“Was Times Square always that ugly and crowded?” Chick mused, watching a tanned brunette deliver some puff piece about the New Year’s celebration in Manhattan, interviewing tourists who were freezing in the rain.

The clock on the bottom of the screen ticked to 9 pm. Just a few more hours.

“Used to be uglier, if you can believe it,” Steve said, nodding slowly. “Definitely a lot less lights back then. But, if you ask me, buildings shouldn’t have TV’s on them.” They continued to stare at the screen, nodding together.

“Agreed.”

“Wasn’t as big a tourist trap back when I was young. It was mostly stiffs in suits.” Chick’s lips twitched into a smile, giving him a side glance, meeting his own grin and twinkling eyes.

Chick leaned slightly and her back gently met Steve’s knuckles. She bit her lip, making a split decision to not move, unless he did.

He didn’t.

The woman was now bombarding individuals with questions about who they were kissing at midnight. Chick pressed her lips into a thin line and shifted forward again, feeling her cheeks warm slightly.

The news segment ended with a stunning Colgate smile and moved onto the next piece.

Back to the news studio, two anchormen began talking. “We’re getting word now on the latest attacks on Individuals of Enhanced Ability who carry mutated genes. Hannah Verona is on sight in Queens, where the most recent attack has taken place. Hannah-” The scene changed to a frantic section of Queens, where a redhead stood, highlighted by red and blue lights from cop cars nearby.

“Just hours ago, one of these so-called mutants was found, exsanguinated, on the steps of this church behind me. Several Catholic churches have been the scene of such crimes across the boroughs of New York, all within a 48 hour timeframe. This individual, Mira Nunez, a homeless woman of 45, found on the steps of St. George, was the 10th victim in this string of attacks. As of today, police have been investigating these homicides as serial hate crimes. There are no clues as to whether or not there were multiple assailants in these attacks, and it is unclear to what description the police refer regarding any suspect.

“Protesters have been seen outside of the UN building, calling on the IEA department to take action on these killings. We have not yet been able to get a statement from Director Murdoch, who has been unreachable in these past days, since the first body was found. Some have speculated that the IEA department is withholding details from the public, as they have yet to take any stance on this issue.

“It is clear, however, that IEAs local to the New York area should take extra precaution in the coming days. There have been talks about a curfew that could be put in place within the next week, according to our source in the mayor’s office. When asked to comment, Mayor Crowe shared that he has ‘run out of patience for these cruel displays of violence’ and has ‘the IEA community in his thoughts and prayers during this tumultuous time.’ Back to you in the studio.”

Chick sat in awe, silent. She put her open hands over her face, appreciating how cool her skin was as her face grew warm with embarrassment and horror.

What was she still doing here?

“All of those people. Those poor people,” she whispered.

“I know. I would give anything to be able to be out there right now.”

She then felt Steve’s fingers creep onto her back kindly.

“Hey,” he said quietly. “You’re not a cop. You’re not an Avenger. You’re healing. And this is out of your hands right now.”

“I’ve healed, Steve. I’ve been treating this like I’m on vacation,” she spat, disappointment stinging her eyes. “That’s my department. Those are my people. This is my responsibility- my job.” She looked up at Steve. “Tomorrow… I’m going home.”

Steve said nothing as he scanned her emotional expression. He felt for her.

“If you think that you’ve done all the healing you can, and you’re ready to go back… then you do what you gotta do, Chick. Don’t let anyone stop you.”

Steve noticed Chick’s gaze flick to the door, and she stood up, squaring herself confidently.

“Take a hike, Ken doll,” Tony called, holding the door open for Steve, standing in the doorway. Steve’s expression didn’t budge, but he shared a look with Chick, and headed for the door.

“Your office,” he said as he left. Tony closed the door behind him and moved closer to Chick.

“Don’t fall for it,” Tony said sharply. Chick squinted her eyes, frowning in question. “He’s full of shit.” Chick rolled her eyes.

“I’m sure he’d say the same about you, Stark.” Tony grabbed a padded arm chair from the wall near the TV, pulling it in front of the couch and sitting. Chick took her place on the couch again. Their weary eyes stared each other down, trying to intimidate one another.

“I saw the eyes you were making. Very unprofessional, if you ask me, Charlotte.”

“HYDRA’s still active. You kept that from the IEA.”

“I definitely meant to tell you.”

“Is that why my apartment was totaled?”

“Mm, totaled is a strong word.”

“Decimated.”

“Wrong direction.”

“Leveled.”

“Yeah, it’s not important. The UN is on a need-to-know level of security debriefing, and they didn’t need to know.”

“Because you had a handle on it.”

“Because HYDRA technically wasn’t active until three weeks ago.”

“That was the first attack?”

“Okay, three months ago.”

“Three months?”

“Give or take a few extra, maybe.”

“You know that the Avengers Protocol, when you contracted with the government, was a branch of the United States defenses, and therefore, you were to report any information on HYDRA to Lieutenant Rhodes to relay to Secretary Ross to pass on to the United Nations to inform the leaders of every free nation on this planet Earth?”

“Well, F.R.I.D.A.Y forgot to remind me.”

“That’s borderline treason.”

“Well that’s why we have borders.”

“Murdoch will-”

“Nope, Murdoch won’t find out.”

“You realize that I am still a member of the Individuals of Enhanced Abilities Department of the United Nations, and therefore, I am obligated to inform the United Nations via my boss, Agent Murdoch-”

“I thought he wasn’t an agent anymore.”

“Tony, get to the point.”

“I’m gonna need some cooperation on your end here.”

“‘So you’re not going to kill me, obviously. But, you know you can’t buy me, right?”

“You think I want to give you money?”

“Isn’t that your thing?”

“No, I take the money and keep the money, and hence- billionaire.”

“What did you want with Bucky?”

“You’re on first name basis with him, too? You work fast, Abbott.”

That got me. I was silent. I tried to steady my breathing and fight the blush that crept up my neck to my ears and cheeks. I said nothing else. He raised his eyebrows flashing a mocking expression.

“Don’t think I’m not capable of the same political guerrilla warfare you people are accustomed to in D.C.; in Manhattan. I’m older, wiser, smarter, and more handsome than you.” He pointed vaguely at my right leg, hidden beneath my other thigh. “That was cause of me. I gave it to you. I can take it away. And, if you want to keep your job and not become a national shame, you’re going to have to give a little. No one is going to believe you over national treasure, Tony Iron Man Stark,” he added, gesturing to himself.

“Are you trying to threaten me?”

“I’m just saying, quit the riot act. Quit reading me my rights. I’ve heard it all before. You’re in my home now.”

“Cause you broke mine.”

“No, fascist scumbags broke your home. I’m the one who pulled you from the rubble.”

I was silenced again.

“How would you like to be a spy?”
♠ ♠ ♠
As always, sorry for the wait. Thanks for sticking around, though, friends. The last comments helped kick my ass into gear. nightwolf got me writing the first half. ChickyMama42 got me writing the second half. Y'all are the best. Comments mean the world. Be sure to subscribe and recommend if you enjoy it. I'm hoping to be back soon. Work has been kicking my a s s but spring break is in another month. Here's hoping <3