‹ Prequel: Monster

The Last Sunrise

Judgment Day

“Dude,” Jared doesn’t know what else to say. I wouldn’t either if I’d just witnessed a stabbing.

“I really hated that guy.” I say and un-clench my fist, feeling the glass oozing away from the deep cuts in my hand. I open my hand and let it drop to the floor, shattering into a million pieces. I look down at the body. It looks like we’re both floating on red water, the glass shards look like water droplets. I look away from the body, trying to find something else to look at before I totally lose it.

I look at Jared, Devan...Alex. I see a dark and cloudy tunnel forming around his face and then everything blacks out. I feel my head hit the floor and the boys calling my name. I want to open my eyes but I don’t want to see the blood. There’s so much and the smell is overwhelming. I feel their hands touch my face, my arm, shake me to wake me up; but I don’t want to. Then I hear a voice that stands out from the rest.

“Billy, please don’t repeat this. I can’t save you.” The angel says and I open my eyes just enough to see the angel’s face. It’s like déjà vu.

“Alex,” I whisper and lift my bloody hand to put on top of his. “I love you.”

“I know,” He says and I feel myself lift off the ground. I open my eyes just a splint again to see what’s happening and realize my angel’s carrying me.

“Where are we going?” I ask noticing the light getting brighter outside through one of the broken windows.

“We’re going to Heaven, Billy. You’ll really like it there. I did.” Alex replies.

“But I don’t want to die yet. I want to live.” I protest.

“Don’t worry, baby. Once you get there, you’ll be able to live as long as you want, do what ever you want, and not have to worry about the sunlight or blood. It’s divine, Billy. You’ll love it.”

“What about Jared and Devan?” I ask.

“They’re coming with. Don’t worry about our posse. Everything will be exactly the same, except we’re on a new level.”

“I don’t want to die.” I whisper, the salty tears forming in my eyes as I cling tighter to Alex. “Don’t let me die.”

“You’re not going to die. You’re going to be reborn into something exquisite.”

“Will you stay with me?”

“I’ll always be with you, Billy.”

“Will my parents be there?”

“They’ve been waiting.”

“I love you, Alex.” I say.

“I know. I love you, too.”

“Kiss me one last time?”

“When we get outside.”

I close my eyes, a little less scared but the fear is still there. I cling my fingers to his shirt as he carries me to the door. Jared steps in front of us and pushes the door open. It’s bright outside but not bright enough to kill us. Alex continues his walk, carrying me and Jared and Devan following. Then, Alex stops and sits down, crossing his legs Indian style. He keeps me in his lap and Jared and Devan sit beside each other next to us.

The sun keeps rising and I can start to feel my skin tingling.

“This is when we exchange our last words.” Alex announces quietly and Jared begins.

“Devan,” His voice breaks like he’s trying to hold back a cry and his eyes and nose slowly turn red, indicating he was going to cry soon. “When I met you, it was as if we’ve been best friends for forever. I never knew we’d end up in this place together. I don’t really remember how we ended up like this but I’m so glad I got to spend it with you. Alex, Billy, you’ve showed me what true love is and I could never thank you more. The four of us will always be best friends forever and always.” The tears had fallen during his speech and Devan smiled at him.

“I love you, too, Jared. And if it weren’t for you two,” He looks and Alex and me. “We’d never be this happy in our eternal life. Thank you, guys. I love you.” Alex looked at me. It must be my turn.

“Alex,” I open my mouth to start my speech but nothing comes out. I can feel the lump in my throat forming and I try to swallow it away but it just gets bigger and I lose all function. “I love you, Alex, more than anything in my entire life.

“I remember the first day we met I didn’t understand you but oddly we formed a bond that we couldn’t break. When I was on my death bed and you gave me your blood to save me from death, I honestly couldn’t have been happier. But after I woke up with you cuddled in my arms like we always used to do, I felt so dead inside. It was as if when you died, you took a part of me with you.

“And when you came back, I didn’t understand and I was so full of shock, I passed out. If I knew you were going to come back, I would’ve set up a ‘welcome home’ party or something.” We share a chuckle. “But I didn’t and yet again, I’m still left here on my death bed. But you’re with me and I’ll be willing to go anywhere as long as it’s with you. Because I love you.

“And Jared and Devan, where would we be without you guys here to show us how to live life on the edge? To show us we have powers and we could use them anyway we want? You guys have taught us so much I have no idea how to than you but to say I love you and we will be best friends forever and always.” I looked up at Alex. His eyes gazing into mine which were full of tears washing the blood from my face.

“I love you, too, Billy. It broke my heart to see you like that but I knew what I had to do and I’m glad I did it. But I’m even happier that this time I can take you with. I guess I’m like your night in shining armor and you’re my Superman. We complete each other like we were meant to be. We’ll get past judgment day and I promise the first thing we’ll do when we get to Heaven, is party. Dance, socialize,” He leans closer to my ear and whispers, “express our love...” Then he turns back to everyone else. “We’ll have so much fun. Don’t worry about a thing. We’ll be best friends forever and always.”

Then it starts. I feel the burning sensation and it’s on the borderline of sensational and uncomfortable, like getting a tattoo. But then I feel flames on my skin but there’s no flames there. “It hurts, Alex.” I say looking up at him.

“I know,” He responds and the pain gets worse. I start moaning in pain, wishing this could end. I look over at Jared and Devan and they’re clung to each other playing tonsil hockey in their last hours. My moans get interrupted by liquid coming from my lungs, up my trachea, and I cough it out to realize it’s blood. It’s all over me, all over my chin. I wipe the tears from my cheeks but see fresh blood on my hands. I look up at Alex again who’s bleeding from his nose and a mixture of blood and tears coming from his eyes.

He leans down and presses his blood-stained lips to mine. I tangle my hand in his hair and lean my head to the side to deepen the kiss. And when we separate, I form a series of sobs of pain, joy, love, everything I’m leaving behind. No more stress. I won’t have to deal with Vince or any of his people anymore. None of us will have to.

Then Alex and I look straight ahead at the sun, suffocating in our blood, our flesh melting off our bones. And it couldn’t have been a more beautiful exit from this world. The last time we’ll feast, the last time we’ll bleed, the last time we’ll fight, all burned away in the last sunrise we’ll ever experience. And then we turn to dust.