Status: Ongoing.

Finding an Edge

THREE

FEBRUARY 18, 2010

VANCOUVER, BC

Olivia waits until she gets back to the Olympic Village to check her phone. Her room is empty, unsurprisingly. Joannie most likely still over at the Pacific Coliseum. Olivia isn’t even sure if the other girl will surface back at the Canada House to spend the night. The Olympic atmosphere tends to be loud, partying is common, and with a fair amount of downtime. Not exactly the ideal environment for someone nursing the loss of their mother.

She’s not surprised when one of the first texts on her phone is from the girl herself, telling Olivia that she’ll be spending the night with her dad at his hotel room. The remaining texts are from her favourite Ice Dancers and Cynthia. (1)

From: Tess

Hey, are you coming by to watch the FS? 4:33 pm

Liv? Are. You. Coming. Should we save you a seat? 4:46

From: Scott (2)

Livvy! Where you at? 4:52

You got some splaining to do! 5:10

From: Cynthia

Épaisse! (3) Kath is mad. Like, really mad. 6:27

That wasn’t good. Not good at all. The so called ‘Kath’ in question referred to Katherine Lachance, SkateCanada’s (4) new President. She’d only taken over at the beginning of the season, and so far had made Olivia’s life a living hell. Shadowing her at competitions, crawling in her ear about what she should be saying, how much emotion to display at the Kiss and Cry (5). The woman has been certifiably micro-managing Olivia from the get go.

She can only guess that her no show tonight wasn’t received very well. Olivia was sure that when Kath finally tracked her down she would be in for quite the lecture on ‘Team Unity’ and whatnot, when in reality the woman is probably just angry that the cameras couldn’t get the pan shot of the crowd with Olivia that they wanted.

Pushing away her guilt, she opens a new message instead of replying to anyone. Scrolling down to ‘S’ Olivia also ignores the giddy bubble in her stomach. Biting her lip, she types out a tentative message.

There. Sent. That wasn’t so hard, right?

Olivia isn’t stupid, she knows how the dynamics of the Olympic Village work. The hookup culture is pretty strong. A bunch of the fittest people in the world, thrown together in close quarters for 2-3 weeks? Its mayhem.

She’d only been 15 at the last Olympics, and the older athletes hadn’t been able to shield her from everything that went on in Torino. She’d seen her fair share of attempts to be discrete and a few who were past caring.

The point was, Sidney was one of the bigger names at these Olympics. If she didn’t move in, someone else would. And last night he had seemed pretty game.

Olivia likes to think she’s fairly pretty, if a little on the pale side. Her reddish blonde hair curls in pretty waves, her blue eyes are clear. Her boobs… leave something to be desired. Occupational hazard. Nothing she could do about that. But she knows she qualifies for cute. Maybe hot. She’s got a bit more of an hourglass going on these days, her thighs a little larger with muscle tone from skating.

She had worked hard to beat the stereotype of being a one trick pony, only good as long as her youthful tween frame held out. It wasn’t a secret that being small and light was an advantage in her sport, but she’d proven at Worlds (6) last year that she was capable of being more than that, that she could rise to the occasion.

Well, the ball was in his court now.

Puck. It was called a puck. Puck in his court? No. Whatever.

F I N D I N G - A N - E D G E


He’s halfway back to the Village when his phone chirps.

From: Olivia ;)

Managed to catch the game. Nice goal! Didn’t need that luck after all.

He’s confused for a moment, but the remembers the girl from last night. The redhead, with a quick wit and apparently a penchant for winky faces, because he doesn’t remember putting anything next to her name.

She’d been…

Pretty. It’s okay, you can say it. She was very pretty.

Sid shakes his head. He’s here to help Canada win gold. Not flirt with pretty figure skaters. But, it had been a while. His last relationship had lasted only as long as it took to figure out that winning the Cup also meant losing a good chunk of your summer to PR, despite the partying that accompanied it. In the end, she’d gotten tired of playing second fiddle to hockey, even in the offseason, as was often the case when you were dealing with him.

Other guys sometimes had it a little easier, little less attention, fewer endorsements to film commercials for. Leaving them room for things like a girlfriend.

He knew deep down that half of the problem was actually himself, and the self imposed training schedule he kept to. He could probably have made a bit more of an effort. Maybe spend a little less time at the rink.

Olivia has seemed familiar, in a comforting way. Not in the sense that Sid had met her before, but in the way she spoke, what she talked about. Wondering if it was worth it, all the time they put in. As if the two of them were one and the same.

He gives in to the urge to reply.

To: Olivia ;)

Thanks, you saw it?

That seemed safe enough. Just the slightest bit curious.

From: Olivia ;)

I did! I’ll need you to vouch for me later when I tell my dad. He won’t believe me.

To: Olivia ;)

Is that so? I don’t know, I was a little busy during the game. Might have to find someone else.

From: Olivia ;)

I see how it is. I extend friendship to you and then you turn your back on me in my time of need?

To: Olivia ;)

Hey now. Those are some stiff accusations you’re throwing at me. Questioning my loyalty?

From: Olivia ;)

More like testing it ;) xoxx

Their banter reminds him of last night, and he feels himself smile a little. She had been a tiny thing, but her rapid speech had made up for it. There was bravado there, and a confidence. An assuredness of self that he hadn’t expected to find in a figure skater. He realizes that likes it.

To: Olivia ;)

Are you already back at the Village?

He types it before he can stop himself. The guys had plans to head to some party in the USA House. Jon and the two Blackhawks defenders, Keith and Seabrook, had mentioned meeting up with Kane. But at this point, he thinks he’d much rather see her.

From: Olivia ;)

I am. Why? You wanna hang out?

To: Olivia ;)

How about dinner?

He wants to wince after sending that one. He knows that most athletes are just looking for a hookup. But if that’s what this is gonna be, the least he can do is be polite about it. Let the night run its course naturally.

His concerns are put to rest when she replies once more.

From: Olivia ;)

I could eat ;) xox

F I N D I N G - A N - E D G E


After she gets a final text from Sid about what to bring, Olivia can feel herself panic a bit. She hadn’t originally planned to hookup with anyone on this Olympics trip. She’d wanted to be focused, ready to go.

But, she supposes, things don’t always go as planned.

She’s still in her casual off day outfit, just a red shirt and faded skinnies. Messing with her hair a bit in the mirror, she sighs and gives up. The man’s already seen her in her ratty tee and shorts combo from last night, she doubts he’ll care that much.

She hates waiting. Which is ridiculous, because sometimes figure skating is nothing but waiting. Waiting to go on, waiting for your score.

It hits her that Sid has no idea which room she’s staying in. Grabbing her phone, she decides to just wait in the hall. To try and stop herself from overthinking things, she pulls up a game of tetris. However, she can’t help but flinch and look up everytime someone passes by her. Just when her feet start to fall asleep from leaning against the wall, she feels someone stop next to her.

When she turns she is met with a very broad chest. Olivia quickly averts her eyes up to Sidney’s face to stop from wanting to run her hands up and down it, see how solid it is.

“Hey!” Olivia greets him with a smile.

“Hey,” He returns it. “Did you want to eat here or?”

“My roommate is elsewhere for the night so I figured we could just say here? If that’s okay?” She asks him.

“No, yeah. That works fine.” The hockey player nods.

“Alrighty.” She agrees, leading him into the small double room she’s sharing with Joannie. “I’d say it’s not much, but I don’t imagine yours is much larger. Unless there’s this super exclusive hockey wing in the building that they’re hiding from the rest of us mere mortals.”

Sid throws his head back in laughter, marking the return of the high pitched tone she is coming to associate with him.

“No. Ours isn’t much different than this. Although,” He pauses. “There is a bit less pink.”

Olivia spins to face him, confused.

“Pink-” She can feel the flush spreading up her neck. In her haste to wait outside the door for him she’d forgotten to put away one of her bras, which is thrown carelessly over her bedspread. The bra in question also happens to be a fushia so bright the word is still out on whether it glows in the dark.

“Oops.” She winces and quickly snatches it up to tuck it away in her suitcase. “Pay no attention to the feminine torture device behind the screen.”

Problem solved, Olivia jokingly perches herself on the edge of the bed, back straight as a board, and crosses her ankles. To sell the performance she tosses her ponytail over her shoulder dramatically, smiling at Sid before collapsing in to giggles.

The hockey player just watches amusedly.

“Sorry.” She apologizes, still giggling. Olivia moves herself further up the bed and folds her legs up, trying to create space for her larger companion. Sid passes her the bag containing their dinner which allows for him to settle in.

For a little bit they just exchange small talk whilst eating their sandwiches. But after finishing find themselves moving closer for some of the more specific details.

Olivia is pleasantly surprised to find that there is no rush to their movements. And while she had expected some sort of hook up, this feels more like, well, a date. They’re just hanging out, enjoying the company of one another, asking silly questions.

“You were holding out on me.” Sid accuses her, though the lightness of his tone tells her he’s not actually angry.

“What are you talking about?” She asks, confused.

“You said you were a figure skater, but you didn’t tell me you were the figure skater. You’re the favourite to win.” He exclaims.

“Oh, that.” Olivia laughs.

“Yeah, that.” He mocks her.

“You didn’t ask! And I don't know that I’m the favourite. Maybe among the Canadians, yes. But the Japanese girl, Mao Asada (7), she’s, like, crazy good. And my roommate Joannie has a shot too, barring that she can pull herself together by Monday.”

“You mentioned that yesterday. Something’s wrong with your roommate?” He asks a little quieter.

“Yeah, she… she lost her mom a few days ago. I don’t know how it happened. I didn't want to ask. But me and Tess, one of the other skaters, were in the room when she got the call.” Olivia admits.

Sid sucks in a breath of air through his teeth in sympathy.

“That’s… rough. And she’s still going to compete?”

“She’s gonna try. I think her dad really wants her too. For her mom, you know?”

“Good for her. I can’t imagine…” He shakes his head.

“I know.” Olivia looks down at her hands, feeling the weight of their conversation. She jumps to change the subject. “Anyway, now that I’ve thoroughly depressed you.”

“No, no. It’s alright. I asked, right?”

“Right. You’re East Coast, aren’t you?” She asks instead.

That had brought his smile back a little. She was quickly becoming quite attached to it.

“Yup, Nova Scotia.” He nods.

“I wanted to say P.E.I. but I knew that wasn’t right.” She laughs. Olivia switches from her sitting position to laying on her stomach, getting more comfortable and pulling a pillow underneath her to clutch at. Sid, in return, reclines a little more, letting himself rest on his side. His legs unfortunately are now hanging partially off the bed, but it doesn’t seem to bother him.

“How about you?”

“Toronto, born and raised.” She smiles proudly. Like a true Southern Ontarian, the second ‘T’ in Toronto becomes lost in her rapid delivery.

“City girl, eh?”

“You betcha.”

“You’re not a Leafs fan, are you? Because that could be the end of whatever this is real quick,” He teases her.

“Oh, that’s how it is?” She exclaims, pulling a scandalized expression.

“That’s how it is,” He insists.

“I don’t know that I watch enough hockey to be considered a fan of any team,” She clarifies, laughing. “But my dad’s always loved the Leafs. He’s from that older generation that was around for the last Cup win in ‘67, you know? The only hockey players that I can actually name are because of him. Like, don’t ask me to tell you who any of your Team Canada teammates are, but I know that the ‘67 Leafs Captain was George Armstrong.”

She doesn’t think it’s that funny, buy Sid must find it hilarious because he throws his head back and lets out a large wheezing laugh.

“That’s so random.” He tells her once he finally catches his breath.

“But it’s not though! That’s where I’m from,” Olivia persists. “The only reason I knew who you were is because my dad keeps insisting you’re special or something.”

“I’m special?” Sid asks her incredulously. “What kind of description is that?”

“I don’t know. He may have phrased it slightly differently. I can’t remember!” Olivia tries to placate him, exasperated. Sid nearly rolls off the bed this time when he loses it. She’s not far behind him, finding hilarity in her own attempts to contribute something smart sounding about Sid’s chosen profession.

When they come down from the height of their laughter, Sid speaks quietly.

“So I’m special, huh?”

It feels like a bait, and Olivia has the urge to crack some sort of joke or witty comeback. But the other part of her, the girlier part, the one that can’t help racing ahead of her heart, her common sense, tells her to take a different approach.

“Well, I don’t know that much about Sidney Crosby, Stanley Cup Champion,” She starts, mimicking his soft tone. “But this guy I met yesterday who let me steal his peanut butter, I kinda like him.”

He’s biting his lip, waiting for her answer. And when it finally comes she can see the smile pulling at the corner of his mouth, fighting against the action. Olivia is brought back to their original moment in the lounge, when she had first realised how much she wanted to kiss him. The urge keeps getting stronger, but like the good little figure skater she is, Olivia waits.

But unlike competition, she doesn’t have to wait long.

Sid slowly raises one of his large hands and lets his fingers gently brush against her cheek, moving a few stray flyaway hairs behind her ear. It is one of the single most tender gestures she’s felt in her nineteen years.

“He kinda likes you too.”

And it’s all she needs to bring him closer and seal their lips softly in a kiss.
♠ ♠ ♠
(1) Cynthia Phaneuf, another figure skater who represented Canada at the Olympics. She is distantly related to Dion Phaneuf, and also ended up becoming Mrs. Maxime Talbot, for those who are interested. They have two kids.
(2) Scott Moir, Tessa Virtue's Ice Dancing partner and Gold medal winners in Vancouver.
(3) Epaisse is the feminine form of what equates to "You Idiot!" in Quebecois French. Or at least it should. I am not a native of Quebec and my French is juvenile at best so feel free to correct me.
(4) SkateCanada is the governing federation of figure skating in Canada. Katherine Lachance, however, is a fictional character.
(5) The Kiss and Cry, is the term used to describe the place where figure skaters sit while awaiting their scores.
(6) The Figure Skating World Championships, often referred to as just 'Worlds' is an annual competition held to determine the international rankings of skaters and, besides the Olympics, would be the most important competition of the season. The specific event that Olivia referrers to would be the 2009 Worlds, which in real life were won by Kim Yu-na, (or Yuna Kim, in the anglicized version). For the purposes of the story I have removed her, because I couldn't bare to have a character rank above her and because it creates a nice little opening to slide my character into the real life narrative.
(7) Mao Asada (or Asada Mao, in the proper eastern address), is a Japanese figure skater who took Silver in Vancouver and was also the first skater to complete multiple triple axels (the toughest of the six competitive jumps) in Olympic competition.