Status: The Chapters will be named after songs. They are either to represent the general theme of the chapter, the attitude of the character at that moment, or it was the song I was listening to at the time of writing the chapter {Or any combination of the three.}. I'll leave the interpretation up to you, u

Wrong Side of Heaven, Righteous Side of Hell

Counting Stars

“It’s not your usual job but this guy,” Basso barked a laugh, “Is one of those stuffed shirts with too much gold and he’s willing to pay out the nose to get this.” He pulled a beat-to-death, brown book out of his desk and flipped to the page marked by a ribbon. There was a letter with elegant calligraphy and a vibrant seal with a nobility crest stamped on it.

“Now usually I wouldn’t even consider a job like this but…” he lifted the thing between cautious fingers as though he was certain he would tear it.

“Price too good?” Garrett finished with the barest hint of a smile.

Basso shrugged and held out the letter. “His sweetheart lives in a city called Dunwall. It’s a little fishing kingdom with about as much charm as our little slice-a-heaven. She’s got this family heirloom that her uncle’s hoarding and won't give to her. Long story short, he wants you to retrieve it and bring it to him. Simple job really.”

Garrett took the offered letter and started to read it over. “What’s the catch?”

“Well then, that’s the bad news: it’s a boat ride away. About two days away.”

“What? They don't have thieves there?”

“He heard of Senior’s reputation, thinks you’re him. Also he won't work with the guy who runs that city. Says he’s crazy and he don’t wanna get in with him.”

Garrett’s gut clenched but he kept his face and body language neutral, no sense in letting Basso know he was concerned. “So I’d be moving in on another thief’s turf?”

Basso shrugged, “Not really, from what I heard the guy is an assassin who does retrieval stuff on the side. But he’s known for taking out targets and this guy don’t want her dear old uncle to kick it just yet.”

At the word assassin Garrett padded over to the corner and turned away from Basso, in case his face was giving anything away, “But this guy doesn’t care about others coming into his city?”

“Doubtful.”

He pretended to be interested in the letter even though he’d read it twice already. Garrett didn’t like Basso’s nonchalant attitude about this. Thieves are territorial and rarely are they non-violent. Garrett recalled many competitors and what Senior did to them, suddenly around the age of eleven, they dried up. No one wanted to fight for his territory, Garrett had asked why, once. And only once because a chill had traveled up his spine at Senior’s evil smile and glimmering eyes though he never did answer the question. He’d been too scared to ask again. He would kill to know now.

Basso was protective. If this would be an issue he wouldn’t have waved the trinket in Garrett’s face, right? Then again, if the payoff was enough though Garrett was pretty sure the greedy bastard would only see the gold and overlook any danger. Which begged the question…

“How much, Basso?”

A chuckle rumbled behind him, “Garrett. My ten percent, I could retire on it. Now, would I? No. But the point is that I could.”

Garrett stared down at the letter, something in his gut telling him this was not a good plan.

In hindsight, he should have listened to his gut.
♠ ♠ ♠
Counting Stars - OneRepublic

Comments are both welcomed and appreciated!