Status: The Chapters will be named after songs. They are either to represent the general theme of the chapter, the attitude of the character at that moment, or it was the song I was listening to at the time of writing the chapter {Or any combination of the three.}. I'll leave the interpretation up to you, u

Wrong Side of Heaven, Righteous Side of Hell

All of Me

Corvo adjusted the book in his grip, his daughter heavy on his other shoulder. She’d fallen asleep not too long ago around the same time his entire arm had, so he was attempting not to squirm. He had picked a boring economics book to read to her while her mother was in a meeting. And his plan had worked, she was getting some well-needed rest given the fact that the poor little one was ill. Problem was… his plan backfired on him as he was now forced to read the boring economics book for lack of anything else to do because he hadn’t thought this through.

He heaved and irritated sigh and let the book drop into his lap as he re-read the same passage three times without retaining any information. He brushed Emily’s haphazard curls away from her face and cradled her little cheek.

He was grateful she looked so much like her mother. She was so beautiful and they were able to keep her lineage a secret... for now.

He hadn’t wanted kids when he was younger. Hadn’t even thought of having kids, honestly. Now he couldn’t imagine his life without her. He had no idea you could love someone so completely. Sure, romantic love was one thing, and he certainly loved Jessamine. This was different and he couldn’t explain why if he had tried. All he knew was that she was his baby and he would do anything for her, anything.

Corvo glanced around to make sure he was still alone with her, when he was satisfied, he pressed a kiss to her heated forehead. He worried about her fever but the doctor had given them a small tonic and said it just needed to run its course. Which was not reassuring.

The sound of Jessamine’s footsteps started in from down the hall. Corvo smiled, he knew those heels when he heard them. Hell, the whole house could hear where she was at all times. The door opened a crack and she snuck her head in, to check on Emily no doubt.

He waved and put a finger to his lips, “She’s sleeping.”

She crept in, somehow making those shoes silent for once. She placed the back of her hand to Emily’s forehead, the girl jumped a little at the contact then settled in again in the crook of his arm. “She’s still hot.” Jessamine whispered, “has she been sleeping this whole time?”

“Just for a minute. Hey?” He held his hand to her and she flushed as she took his hand. He tugged on her arm and pulled her in for a slow kiss. When they parted her eyes were fussy. He wasn’t going to lie, pride flooded through him at the knowledge that he could still get her glassy eyed just from a kiss.

She cleared her throat and fingered the book on his lap. Her eyebrows drew together in confusion, “A detailed analysis of the economic history of Dunwa-- Please tell me you weren’t reading this to my poor, sick child?”

“Well, I would have read the one about pirates but then she wants to sword fight.”

“And you wanted her to sleep?”

He nodded and she chuckled quietly, “Well you certainly picked a good one. It sounds about as interesting as watching grass grow.”

“Less.” he grumbled. “I would have prefered that honestly.”

She laughed again and brushed his hair away from his eyes, she leaned in again and pressed her lips to his cheek. “I have no sympathy for you. You picked it. You deserve it for making my baby suffer.”

He narrowed his eyes at her in a mock gesture. “What a wicked woman you are.”

She beamed. God, she was lovely! Corvo captured her chin with his free hand and pulled her lips to his again. It wouldn’t be enough… not nearly enough, but then he supposed they never would have enough. She was an empress. A ruler, a leader and he was… a lower class citizen. It would be too much to ask for more.

Emily stirred in his grip. The connection was broken and he sat back with a frown, the moment gone. Jessamine gathered Emily in her arms, the five year old hanging awkwardly in her grip, and placed her in her bed. She wrapped her in blankets and began humming to her while she finger combed her curls.

Corvo shook out his still tingling arm and crossed the room, he sat on the edge of the bed behind Jessamine and wrapped his arms around her slender waist. She sighed and sunk into his chest while he hummed his approval. He tilted her chin to him again to get her attention and pressed his forehead to hers, “I’m so lucky to have you two in my life.”

She made a happy noise in the back of her throat and tightened her grip in his arms, “And we are just as fortunate to have you with us, my lord protector.”
♠ ♠ ♠
All of Me - John Legend

Comments are both welcomed and appreciated!