Annihilate

Chapter Ten: Fight Or Flight

Explosions shook the Earth beneath his feet, his body stood in shock as people from Gaia rode in on horses, slicing through the mutations heads with blades of all sorts. Flames engulfed the train cars as the others helped get survivors out and somewhere safe. Noah struggled with the fire, his water ability just wasn’t strong enough to put out the blazing inferno. A helicopter hovered in the thick black smoke that plagued the sky, its propellers chopping the air, making the flames dance from one car to another.

A voice screamed over a speaker. “Attention. Turn yourselves in and we will spare your lives.”

“Over our dead bodies!” A girl yelled. Noah recognized her from the battle at Gaia. She was the one with the ice powers, shooting frozen bullets at the trucks.

“Audra!” Bette yelled over the roaring engine of the helicopter. “Get Noah and his group to Jamestown quickly!”

Three more helicopters broke through the smoke, dropping the men dressed in all black, the same ones that attacked them before. They were quick to fire their weapons, but instead of bullets, out came thick black chains that violently wrapped around their targets and squeezed tight. Noah fell to the ground, dodging the incoming wave of rusty metal. Audra leaped off her horse and headed to the woods, screaming for Noah and the others to follow. He jumped to his feet and sprinted towards safety. Behind him, a chain took Bette down. She flew from her horse and slammed against a train car. He wanted to go back for her, he wanted to help but Ryan kept yanking on his arm, pleading with him to retreat.

He ran through the woods with tear-filled eyes, his heart thumping with each step he took. The men follow them into the forest, shooting their strange weapons. Chains buzzed by their heads, wrapping around trees inches from their faces. Noah pushed his way through limbs and branches, each one engraving their signature on his soft bruised cheeks. He launched his hand back behind him, blowing a hole in the ground, hoping to kill a few of them in the process. He wasn’t as successful as he hoped.

His body quickly stiffened up. A chain wrapped itself around his waist, constricting his arms and legs. He tumbled to the ground, his face smacking against a log on the way down. He rolled in the leaves in agony, moaning through his terrible pain. Almost every inch of his face bled a pool onto the dirt below him. Noah sobbed as the chains began to tighten around him. He took small breaths, barely enough to keep him conscious. His vision became a foggy haze, his speech slurred. He called out for his friends, but no one was there to save him. They were too far ahead and too much in a panic to realize he was gone. His teeth grind together, he takes in one last breath. His ribs snap in half and he cries out in pain. Noah can feel his chest caving in, the life slowly slipping away from him. He convulses on the ground until he finally blacks out.