Annihilate

Chapter Seven: Face The Wild

“Bette?” Noah came out from hiding, his eyes fixated on his long time friend.

“Noah!” She tossed her weapon over her shoulder and ran to him, her arms wide open. “You’ve grown. You’re hair is longer, I like it.” She looked around, searching for his family. “I’m so sorry, Noah.”

“Its okay. I have a new family now. I thought you were dead. I walked by the diner almost every day…it was kinda sad to see it all destroyed.”

“Oh hun. I’m doing just fine. Look at me.” She grabs her gun and poses. “I’m a granny packing heat.” She signaled the others to watch the parameter and leaned against a car, crossing her arms. “What brings you all the way here?”

“We’re heading to Gaia. Hoping its still standing.”

“Ah.” She smiled. “You’re in luck. You’re looking at the founder.”

He laughed slightly. “I should’ve figured that.”

“C’mon, I’ll take you there. We need to go before more show up.”

The group and Bette’s men took off down the highway once again. Out of all the people in the world among the dead, he didn’t expect Bette to be in the sliver of survivors. He was surprised she even left the community, especially toting around a gun half the size of her. She always took care of herself though; she didn’t need anyone to look after her even if she was in her early seventies. After walking a good distance, they stopped just outside a tall wall of trees fused together. Bette hovered her hand over the bark, the tree split open, making a door for them to pass through. Inside the wall of trees was beyond what Noah thought the town would look like. He pictured rundown buildings but instead got a sanctuary full of beautiful vibrant colors. Everyone seemed happy despite the apocalypse looming on their doorstep. Kids played in the street; others cooked on grills in their white picket fence yard. It was so strange to Noah and his team, everyone lived like nothing happened to the world.

“Bette. Everyone seems so oblivious to the horror outside these walls.” Noah said, breaking the silence.

“Everyone in this community is from the outside, Noah. They know how it is out there. They came here to make a new life, a better one. They aren’t worried about the mutations. The tree wall secretes a membrane that surrounds the community, making a sound barrier and not letting light escape. They feel safe.”

“You’re not afraid of an attack?” Natalie asks, fiddling with a string in her hands.

“Seventy percent of the people here have the gift. We have an army of people with abilities.”

“This place is amazing, Bette. You saved all these people, you-“

She cut him off. “They’re coming.” She swallowed hard and pushed back strands of white hair fallen from her bun.

“Who?” Noah already knew the answer, but he didn’t want to hear it.

“Virlect…”

“The company that wants to take people’s abilities and put them into the mutations?” Sam sighed and ran her fingers through her hair, starting to stress.
“They’ll destroy this place, Bette. You have to get everyone out of here.” Noah pleaded with her, like she didn’t already make a plan of action.

“Our scouts say they’re two days out.” Bette took them up a couple stairs and into a large brick house. She slid everything off of the kitchen table and onto the floor, then rolled out a large blueprint of the town. “We evacuate the one’s with no abilities tomorrow. They’ll take the escape tunnels that lead to a bunker.”

“So the people with powers stay behind and fight?” Ryan asked, his voice stern. “I’m staying too.”

“Me too.” Natalie chimed in, laying a hand on Bette’s shoulder. “The more firepower, the better.”

“I can’t ask you all to do this…to fight for a place you’ve spent only minutes in.”

“Bette. It’s not about us anymore. It’s about protecting the human race, protecting the children of the future. I’m willing to fight to keep us from total annihilation.”

“You’re a good boy, Noah.” She pulls him into a hug and kisses his cheek.

“Come for sanctuary…get a war.” Ryan laughs dryly, his head spinning. Everything happening so fast.