Annihilate

Chapter Eight: This Way To The War

“Hey.” Ryan said, pulling out a chair next to Noah and taking a seat.

“I’ve spent two years hiding from them, Ryan. They only need one person to take powers from, they’ll kill the rest of us.”

“We’ll be okay, Noah. Don’t worry.” He gave Noah a pat on the back and smiled a bit. “C’mon, let’s get some rest.”

The night weighed heavy on Noah. His mind wandered from being blown to bits or being dissected, he couldn’t figure out which was worse. He left the comfort and safety of his home and now he was up against a corporation with more firepower than he could ever imagine. Everything was happening so quickly, it made his brain heat up. He snuggled next to Ryan, holding him close. He didn’t know what was about to happen but he wasn’t about to lose the people that just came into his life.

The next morning came and all the civilians were escorted to the tunnels. Bette locked the doors behind them, telling them to keep going no matter what they hear. It made Noah’s stomach turn, his heart pound. With everyone evacuated, the preparations began. People near the front wall reinforced the trees with more trees, others armed weapons on the roofs of select buildings. The people in the community were on edge, waiting for the attack to happen at any minute.

“They’ve moved closer.” Bette yelled over the chattering voices. The people gathered around her, mumbles echoing throughout, a silent panic caressed the air. “They’ll be at our walls in only a few short hours. So make sure everything is prepped and ready. We will not fall today!”

Now it was a waiting game. Bette said a few hours and those hours had dwindled down quickly. Noah paced back and forth in the street, biting his nails. He was nervous and scared. He’d never fought for his life before, never been in a battle outside of video games. But the time was now and this was reality, his dreaded reality. A moment of silence spread across the town, the air still. Noah took a deep breath. The front wall exploded into a million splinters, killing the few people that guarded the area.

A truck carrying men dressed in black armor drove through the burning wounded trees. No words were spoken, just bullets flying through the air, killing the people of Gaia one after another. Bette didn’t hesitate, she didn’t even blink. She flicked her wrist and the truck burst into flames. Natalie and Sam sniped from a nearby building, dwindling their numbers as fast as possible. Noah stood there, frozen, watching the people around him die. He felt his anger build up inside his body, his power streaming through his veins. He launched his arm forward, his palm wide open. The men and the burning truck went flying backwards, taking half of the wall with them. The fighting ceased and everyone turned towards him, admiring his strength.

“Well don’t just stand around. We need to get these walls fixed. More will come!” Bette yelled as she ran to the trees, beginning to raise another wall.

Propellers sliced through the air as it hovered above the town. It shot off two rockets, destroying the clinic and dining hall. Bette was pissed off now, her emotions taking over. She held her arm up towards the helicopter and yanked her hand down hard. The vehicle spun around and crashed into the street, barely missing the others. The explosion took out the west wall and let two more trucks drive through. A girl leaped over Noah’s shoulders, shooting spikes made from ice at the tires. She hit the ground, rolled, formed a wall of ice, and pushed it towards the cars. They flipped through the air, sending them in opposite directions. Her long red locks bobbed around as she ran over to the wounded.

“Give up!” A voice cried out. She climbed on top of one of the turned over trucks, her short blonde hair flowing in the wind. She removed her sunglasses and put one leg between her teeth. “I only need one of you.” She smirked. “Give me one person and the rest of you can go.”

“You better get out of my town, you evil white bitch!” Bette screamed, her body wobbly but ready to fight.

The woman shrugged her shoulders and gave the all clear to wipe everyone out. Noah lifted into the air, his body glowing bright yellow. His eyes closed slowly and his fingertips began to turn blue. His eyes shot open, shimmering white. He faced the woman and her men and simply snapped his fingers. They turned to dust, blowing away in the wind. He fell to the ground, returning to his normal state. Ryan slid his arms underneath him and picked him up off the road, his body unconscious.

“What was that?” He asked as Bette pushed through the crowd of people.

“The ultimate power I assume.” She scanned his body with her hands, making sure everything was okay. “Ryan, there’s a train heading from here to Jamestown. Take it. The path is safe. I fear they’re in danger. I’ll be there once I tend to my people.”

Ryan nodded in agreement and gathered the rest of his group. Noah awoke a few hours later in a bed next to Ryan. He could feel movement but didn’t realize he was on a train until he looked out the window. A gorgeous oily like substance stood a few feet from the tracks and surrounded the train on both sides. The wall kept them hidden and quiet.

He made his way out of bed, careful not to wake Ryan, and headed out into the dining room car. He slid open the door and entered, Natalie waved him down and patted the seat beside her. A man behind the bar poured them drinks and a few other people sat in booths, enjoying their meal.

“W-Why are we on a train?” He asked, his head woozy.

“Bette wanted us to head for Jamestown. She thought they were headed there next. We’ll be there tomorrow night.”

“Did we win?”

She was puzzled for a few seconds, and then it clicked. “For the time being. You did something powerful. Saved us all.” She took a sip of her drink. “You’re amazing, Noah.”

“I don’t want to be amazing. I just want to…be me.” He rested his head on his hand, his arms leaned against the bar.

“You are you, Noah. And you is amazing.”

He smiled, finally feeling a tad bit better. “So, what were you before all this?” He asked, curious about her past.

“I was studying biology. It was my last month. Then all this happened.” She laughed. “Now I can’t even use the knowledge.
“I’m sure you’ll find use for it sometime, Natalie. Don’t give up.” He gave her a reassuring pat on the back. “I’m gonna head to the room. I feel like road kill.”

“Noah.” Ryan said cheerfully as he entered the room. “I’m glad you’re up.”

Noah slid the door closed and collapsed on the bed. Ryan sat there, his shirt slung across the lamp. Noah gazed at his metallic arm. Ryan blushed uncomfortably. “What happened?”

Ryan was taken aback by the question, he knew it was coming but he wasn’t prepared to give the answer. “I got bit and had to chop off my arm. People from the safe zone found me half dead, bleeding out in an ally. Thankfully they had good doctors and good science. It’s like my arm isn’t even gone.”

Noah grabbed his hand and entangled their fingers. “Ryan. I’m going to find them, and I’m gonna kill every last one of them. Then I’m heading to the source of all this and finding answers.”

Ryan looked deep into Noah’s eyes, he knew he was serious about this and he couldn’t let him go on his own. “I’m coming with you.”
“Okay.” Noah smiled and kissed his cheek. “W-Why don’t you use your real name?”

Again, Ryan was shocked by the question. “It made people uncomfortable.”

“You don’t have to change who you are just because people are assholes. What’s your name?”

“You’re right.” He gave a slight smile. “My name is Omid. I was born in Iraq and came here when I was six.”

“Look. I’m not uncomfortable. I prefer your real name. Don’t be ashamed of your history.”

“You’re so wise, Noah.” Ryan laughed, poking Noah’s chest.

The train’s wheels began to squeal, sparks flying up the side. Before they had any time to react, they were tumbling around the room. The train slid down the tracks on its side, the other cars scattered throughout the area. Noah held the side of his forehead as he climbed out the window and jumped onto the gravel, his knees buckling, sending him to the ground. Sam helped him to his feet as Natalie tended to Ryan, making sure he was okay.
“Oh fuck!” Natalie yelled. Mutations rushed towards them from the nearby woods. They had no weapons and no time to think.