Scattered Ash

One

Cold… Damp…

This is what I felt as I used my elbows to shove myself up. Pain shot down my spine, spread throughout my body, a hiss escaped my lips. An aching throb crept along the edges of my head.

“Ah, so you’ve woken at last, have you?” The voice was old, accompanied by the sound of crackling flames. I turned my head slowly to see a man sitting beside a dimly lit fire a few feet from where I sat. A drape covered his face, hiding most of it from my view. Solid black orbs met my gaze, causing me to shake my head. People don’t have solid black eyes... Right?

“I was afraid you were as good as dead, left here in such a poor state as you were.” Here? Where is here? I looked around, eyes only just focusing on the dark forest surrounding us. Trees stretched up, branches interlocked and blocked the view of the sky above. Dark. Only the pale glow of the fire casting shadows into the forest lit the way.

“Where… are we?” My throat was dry, making it difficult to speak. He chuckled, the hollow sound filling the air, dying as it met the rough wood of the trees beyond.

“They all ask the same question, dearie.” He offered me no more of an answer. Silence stood between us as we watched the dancing flames. Bracing myself, I stood, moving to stand beside him. "We are in the Dusk Jungle of Valade, Realm of Hollows." He continued to stare at the fire, voice solemn. "I know not how you arrived here, but it is not a good place to be, Miss..." I let myself fall down to sit beside him, legs too unsteady to hold me, my gaze on the fire before turning to study the forest behind me.

A low, guttural growl caused the tiny hairs on my arms to stand. I looked around as my heart leaped into my throat. The man made no move. "So long as we remain beside the fire, we are safe. The sentries will come no closer to the heat. None of them will." Then he turned to me, something silver resting in his hands reflected the glow of the flames. He offered it to me, a dagger with a thin blade sitting in my hands, the hilt wrapped in flimsy, worn leather. "It would be wise of you to keep this on hand; it will serve you far greater than I." With those words he stood, dusting his tattered robes.

"I must go now. Might I carry your name with me for peace of mind, Miss?" I closed my eyes and searched my scattered mind, only two words coming to the surface.

"Leila Ash... I think...." When I opened them once more, though, he was gone. For what felt like eons I sat at the fire, sword clutched to my chest afraid to blink, afraid to breathe. My bones grew stiff from remaining in the same position for so long. I decided that enough was enough, I rose, the hilt of the sword gripped tightly and eyeing the surrounding woods. It had been quiet for hours now, I couldn’t tell the time, for no light broke through the densely packed trees. The creatures the man had spoken of long gone. Hopefully.

I put one foot in front of the other, slowly, carefully. The hilt of the sword gripped tight in both hands, holding it close to my chest. Had I ever held a sword before? I couldn't seem to remember. Darkness followed behind me, swallowed the path ahead. My feet moved steadily, seeming to avoid most protruding roots. Every whisper of air squeezed my heart with fear, every rustle of leaves sent my gaze on a frantic search ahead. The sword felt heavy in my hands as I walked, further and further from the safety of warmth. I had to fight myself not to set off running, only the terror of what lay in wake keeping my pace slow. Steady.

More time passed, my body begging for relief, the blade of the sword nearly dragging against the ground below, my feet mimicking it. Unable to move another step, I slumped against a tree, the rough bark bit into my skin, leaving scratches that were all but invisible in the deep darkness. I dared not sit, the temptation of sleep too much a threat to take. Would I make it through this never-ending forest?

Looking ahead, my breath hitched in my dry throat. Just ahead there was sunlight through the trees. Faded. Distant. But it was more than any fire could offer. Hope renewed, I pushed myself away from the tree. One step. Two. Three. I could make it through here. Whatever was ahead, at least I’d see it. Whatever waited beyond these trees, I could handle it. Only a few more feet…

No…

A warm breath of air raked along the back of my neck.

Maybe I wouldn’t make it. The growl behind me caused my heart to miss a beat. I’m so very close. Slowly, so very slowly, I turned. It was large, nearly twice my size. Almost as large as the surrounding trees. From what I could tell with such little light, it was covered in fur and what appeared to be spikes, razor-sharp teeth jutting out from its mouth. I stood still. Unmoving. The beast watched me with beady red eyes, the two of us in a stalemate, waiting for the other to move first. My finger twitched on the hilt. He sprung forward. I was a goner…
♠ ♠ ♠

Hey guys! This story is a work in progress. Just something fun. Based on a dream I had about the game Dark Souls. It's loosely based on the game, but this world is my own. I hope you enjoy the strangeness that is my dream world!
~Koda