Scattered Ash

Two

A flash of golden light struck the beast, coming from somewhere behind me. I scrambled back as quickly as I could, nearly falling.

“Run!” I couldn’t see who said it, but, at the moment, I didn’t care. I turned around and ran for all I was worth, ignoring the pain that shot through me. Another flash of light struck behind me, causing the beast to growl in agony. I ran past the man who told me to run, only noticing a white glow about him before exiting the forest, heart pounding in my chest.

Sunlight hit my face. Beautiful, gorgeous light streaming down on me, heat warming the chill on my skin. I dared to turn, to look behind me into the abyss of darkness that was Dusk Jungle, only to be met with rows and rows of trees and silence. Where had the beast gone? Where had the one who saved me gone?

“Lady, I wouldn’t go in there, t’if I were ya. That jungle is dangerous.” The voice had me spinning on my heels, sword brought up in defense. “Whoa, whoa. Didn’t mean to frighten ya.” It was a young man, no older than sixteen. He was watching me with wide eyes the color of smoke, hands thrown in the air in peace. I lowered my sword.

“Could you tell me where I am?” The words fell from my lips before I could think to stop them.
“Aye, Lady. We’re near Hawold City." I bit my lip, glancing down the road curiously.

"Just down that way, then?" I hoped it wasn't too far. I was exhausted. He watched me curiously. There was just something about his eyes that--

"Do ya know how ta get there, Miss?"

I shook my head regretfully. "I'm afraid I have no memory at all besides my name..."

"That's a pretty crummy situation in a place such as th’s. If you’d like, I can show ya the way?”

Should I go with him? Trust him? What choice did I have? Glancing around, I noticed nothing but the jungle behind me and clear, open road before me. Not exactly a road, more of a dusty trail forged from one too many pairs of feet traveling along it.

I offered a smile, the best I could muster. “If you’d be so kind, young man...” I watched him relax, letting the sentence trail off.

“Name’s Russ, ma’am. At your service.” He pulled a brown cap from his head, giving me a short bow and a smile of his own. I let the sword loosen in my grip as he pulled a small silver flask from his coat pocket. A long, dirty coat rested over his shoulders, the end falling to the boy’s thigh. Beneath it was little more than rags, tattered beyond repair. Even the flask he offered was dented, the shine of the silver long faded away to nothing. I stared at it dubiously. “Ya seem parched, Miss. This is spring water from the Valley.” He took a sip, I suppose to prove that it was okay to drink, then offered it to me once more.

Tentatively, I reached out and took it, taking a small sip of my own. I was met with a fresh taste that reminded me of wild berries and honey. The liquid raced down my throat, soothing and quenching my thirst. My eyes widened at the flavor and I had to force myself to stop drinking it, pulling the canteen away and handing it back to him.

He stared at me with a touch of amusement in his gaze. “It is very good. And also helps with the healing.” He looked me over and, for the first time, I glanced down at myself. Black armor, light as a feather, adorned my body. The chainmail felt sturdy and the boots fit snug on my feet. Compared to what Russ was wearing, I felt over dressed. A light gust of air sent stray strands of my hair into my face and I noticed a deep red before I gently brushed it back.

He tucked his flask away, back into his coat pocket. “Well, we should be off, Miss. Ya don’t want to be along the road come nightfall.” Russ gestured for me to begin walking first, and I nodded in thanks. The aching in my feet seemed to slowly evaporate, even as I walked. “So, ya really have no memory?” His question was so sudden, I had to stop a moment for it to process. I just shrugged, biting my lip as I continued forward.

“My name is the only thing that comes to mind, unfortunately.” A gust of wind blew up a dust cloud and I used my arms to shield my eyes, trying in vain to bring up any memories. It was only when I nearly stumbled over a rock that I focused back on the road. For a while we traveled in silence, the sun beginning to set in the horizon, a chill settling to take the place its warmth provided. On the horizon, I could just make out towering buildings of stone, stabbing the sky above. I glanced behind me to check on Russ, but he was nowhere to be found. In a panic, I turned, looking all around. Why did everyone continue to disappear in this place?

"Ya okay, Miss?" Startled, I turned to find Russ in front of me, a smile on his face and a rabbit in his hand. "Figured we'd need food for the night.”

“Isn’t that where we are headed, though?” I couldn’t help but ask, pointing towards the city.
“We need to make camp and get off the road before the light dies." He looked at the sky as he spoke, the rabbit laying motionless in his hands. My heart leaped to my throat at the sight, but I brushed that aside and nodded. He walked ahead of me, leading to a small hole I hadn't noticed before in the ground. Without warning, Russ jumped in, disappearing from view.

The hole didn't seem to be wide or deep and so I stared in fascination, on the verge of crying out in alarm when I heard him call out to come in as he had. Biting my lip, I sat on the ground beside the hole and began to scoot closer till I had both of my legs inside. Feeling nothing but air, I pushed myself all the way down, sliding through the ground. A few seconds later, my feet hit the solid ground once more.

It was spacious, glowing rocks were trapped within the walls. My breath caught in my throat at the pure beauty of the pale white light illuminating the room. A bonfire sat to the far right of the room and makeshift beds a small distance away from it.

"Isn't it lovely, Miss? This is a Nonev Brook, left behind by a wizard for weary travelers to find refuge at night." He sat at the bonfire, pulling a pack from his back that I hadn’t noticed before. Reaching in, he pulled out a silver pan with scorch marks on the sides and bottom as well as what appeared to be a knife wrapped in a black cloth. I eyed it cautiously as he placed the rabbit on the ground beside him and began cutting and cleaning it. Revulsed, I looked away, back at the walls, studying the grooves and crevices, marveling at the stones.

“Ya can sleep if ya’d like, dinner will take a little while,” came his voice as I tried to block out the sickening noises. Sleep actually sounded wonderful, though I doubted I could. Instead, I turned, watching him work a few moments.

“Is there anything I can do to help?” He just shook his head as he finished and finally put the meat in the pot adding in water from the canteen. Shortly after, the smell coming from the pot made my mouth water and my stomach rumble.

Russ looked at me with laughter dancing in his eyes. “Ya need to rest if ya want a nice start for the ‘morrow. I’ll wake ya when suppas ready.”

I looked down at the cooking food and back at him, nodding before I pushed myself up and made my way over to an area covered in straw. As I laid down, I wondered about this strange land I had found myself in and about the memories I couldn’t seem to find.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here is another chapter. Hope you enjoy!