Status: Infrequent updates!

'F' Is for Forbidden

5. The End of the Beginning

I attended Nikolai Draken’s party on Thursday night, dressed to the nines as per usual, in the cutest pink romper and crimson red Louboutins. With my hair parted to the left side, leaving my unblemished neck bare… there was no doubt about it:

I was going to have eyes on me all night.

True enough, I did. I innocently winked at my admirers and shimmied my way past them to grab some beer (which I hated, honesty, but it was alcohol) . The house was crowded, people were back up against walls, huddled into little hushed groups, or making out in ever corner. It seemed it wasn’t only just on the television that teenagers were stereotypical hormonal driven creatures.

Gulping down my cup of foam, I texted Dominic and Nora asking where they were.

Simultaneously, I received one from my brother.

'Have fun and get drunk, I’ll be your ride home, firestarter'.

I chuckled. Only he could make me laugh to myself in public without fear of humility.

Nikolai’s house was impressive (for a deviant), with high ceilings and warm colors that poured into the air. I half-expected when I entered to be charged at with knives, the interior to be drunk in decadence and smelling just like he did…

Like he’d jumped stepped out of a burning building. The scent of ash and melted materials stuck to him.

Nikolai was probably the only person in school who could throw a party on a weekday, since he didn’t have parents. He was open about how he’d emancipated himself from them, claiming they were self-pleasing, neglectful bastards. His choice in words was more colorful though, I bet, since by the time word had got around to me it had probably changed fifty times through seven-hundred ears.

Nora nor my boyfriend had replied yet, so I binned my cup and went to find the man on the hour.

Strutting my stuff as I waltzed past a large gathering of boys, I tried not to let their obvious lust encourage me. I hadn’t ever flirted with a boy since Dominic and I got together, it would feel wrong to goad any of them.

The scoundrel in question was in the far east lounge. He was surrounded by his entire posse as he attempted to chug down an entire barrel of beer. He’d have done well if I hadn’t interrupted his flow by pinching his nose.

Liquid dribbled out the side of his mouth, which he then wiped using the inside of his arm.

“Taylor,” He wheezed out his nickname for me. “Come to see me because Dominic can’t handle something so fine?”

His mates laughed around him like a pack of wild coyotes. It made your skin crawl.

“Dominic and I are just fine, thanks. I just wanted to say I liked your house.” It was odd to think that, in the four years I’d known him, I’d never been here before.

He smiled cheekily, as he draped a loose arm around my neck and then, without my even noticing it, we were talking together.

“My bedroom is the best part. There’s really no need to be shy if you… uh… like to get freaky.” His mouth was by my ear. The putrid stench of yeast and alcohol invaded my sinuses, it was almost enough to make me throw up.

I pushed him off me and he stumbled a little, bumping into a girl behind him who gave him a quick glare before returning to a nice conversation with her friends.

Which got me thinking: where the hell were mine?

“You’re a pig, Nikolai.”

Puckering his lips, he leaned into me. “Only for you, babe.”

Grinding my teeth, I couldn’t resist the urge to shoot back at him.

“Oh yeah? I think that would hurt Miss Hoover’s feelings.”

He chuckled again, coming even closer still. I’d never liked Nikolai (except to look at), but an asshole when he was drunk was no longer just an asshole – but a caution.

“Maybe, but they don’t call her Hoover for nothing.” Guffawing loudly, he withdrew again, then snatched a cup from someone else’s hand. He downed it within seconds, crushing it in his grasp. “Woo!”

I rolled my eyes. “Yeah, okay, whatever. I’ll see you around then.”

I made the choice not to be around him for one seconds, but I wasn’t the only one available to make choices. Nikolai made one that caused him to get closer to me, his hand grasping my waist as he thrust me in.

Startled, I shifted around so he’d let me go. Nope, his grip was like iron.

“Come on, Taylor, I’d make all your fantasies come true.” His breath was hot, almost as much as the fingers that were beginning to trail their way up to my ribs to a more risqué place.

“Get off me, you dick!”

I never got to finish that sentence, as his mouth encompassed my own. It fastened itself upon me, tight, as if it was the seal I needed. Apart from the gut-wrenching stench of beer, I could also faintly make out toast and honey.

I’d also like to say it was my fist that collided with his face, so hard that his lips moved of mine like a tear. I’d like to say that I wasn’t so startled by everything that I was near catatonic. I would like to say I got myself away from that party.

But I didn’t.

Because, as I locked eyes with the person who’d just knocked the toughest guy in school to the ground, I knew.

“Let’s get you out of here.” He outdrew a tan hand, one that I knew I’d grab.

So, I nodded.

Ignoring the sting of watchful eyes, Dellos and I squeezed our way past everyone on our way out the front door. I didn’t bother to think about them, or anything, as I followed suite.

Where, by the front garden, Dominic and Nora were chatting amicably.

They both noticed me exiting the house at the same time. My boyfriend’s eyes were wide and frightened as he scrutinized me head to toe.

“Jensen, what happened?” He was on our tail as Dellos threw himself into his car. He revved up the engine but waited patiently for me to speak with him.

“Nikolai will tell you all about it, I’m sure.” Snake venom dipped in battery acid didn’t even compare to the tone of my voice.

His eyes were wild, looking for any cuts or bruises?

Great, now because I didn’t have any physical injuries my own boyfriend didn’t believe me!

“I’m sorry I took so long to get here, but your brother saw Nora and I walking and offered us a ride.”

I wiped a tear from my cheek. It made sense why Dellos was here, but why would they walk? Why not get a taxi?

“It doesn’t matter, go have fun.”

“Jensen! I just came from the house – what happened between you and Nikolai? He’s saying you kissed.” Nora couldn’t have shrieked any louder, people still going in were eavesdropping.

I rolled my eyes, which then finally caught Dominic’s. They were hard, stone-like, the kind that made even the bravest of men fall.

“You kissed?”

I licked my lips, remembering the pungent taste of him. Years ago, back when I first enrolled, I used to wonder what it would be like to kiss him. He was the bad boy, the type moms insisted to stay away from. The forbidden fruit. It immediately made him attractive.

Whereas now, growing up with his arrogant ass, I… I wanted him dead.

I wanted him to feel the pain of all pains – anything to make Dominic stop looking at me like that.

“He kissed me, but I pushed him off and Dellos punched him. Please, can we discuss this tomorrow? I just want to go home.”

“Jensen…”

Freezing myself in place when I went to open the car door, I pricked my ears for what my boyfriend had to say. I didn’t want him to go out on a revenge spree, or for Nora to send her felines on him. I just wanted him to say a couple of words.

“I love you.”

I swallowed down the lump in my throat. “I know. Enjoy the party.”

Then, I climbed into the rover, as I sat back and pondered back on what made me so disappointed by Dominic’s last words.

Maybe I didn’t want him to feel like he had to say he loved me.

Maybe all I needed was for him to drop the party and get in the car, to come home with me.