Status: Infrequent updates!

'F' Is for Forbidden

9. The Harsh Light of Day

On Saturday morning, I continued to ignore Nora's constant phone calls and text messages. I'd received more than a fair amount before I'd even woke up, so it was no wonder I wasn't in the mood to reply.

Abandoning my phone in the bedroom, I went for a quick shower. Once under the blistering droplets, I let my mind cease all worry for a bit.

Exiting, I could distinguish the familiar rattle of my bedside drawers. Wrapping myself up in a towel, I headed back to see what all the ruckus was about.

Of course, it was my brother, poking his nose where it didn't belong.

"Oh geez, I wonder what this is about..." I rolled my eyes as I walked in, grabbing the moisturiser from his hand as he plucked it out from the drawer. I thought I detected an unusual scent in the air, then swiftly came to the conclusion that I'd switched shampoos.

"I was just..." When I raised an eyebrow in interest, he sighed and smiled lightly. "I was looking for something."

"If it's dignity then you're a couple of years too late."

Giving me a mock glare, his eyes landed on my legs as I began to moisturize them. My brother was a good handful of years older than me, he'd probably used to bathe me a couple of times up till I was trusted not to drown myself in the tub – so it's not like he was secretly being pervert.

Plus, brother. Ew.

"Are you feeling a little better today?"

I shrugged, lapping on more lotion. Soon my legs would be lathered and rubbing each other shiny and new.

"We can go to the park, I'll even buy you ice cream?" Dellos tucked his hands in his back jean pockets. It wasn't until then that I noticed just how well dressed he was.

In fact, now that I think about it, the smell that had infected my room was not the apple kind. More like... I don't know, spice?

Was he wearing cologne?

Intrigued by this, I agreed and got up to scour the clothes hanging in my armoire. If he was dressed to the nines, then it might be best I do so as well.

Picking out a lovely canary yellow dress I hadn't worn for a while, I found a lovely white belt to match it with. Paired with silver or white sandals, I'd look amazing.

Just before I untucked the towel, I realized he was still in the room.

"I don't like audiences, you know."

Shaking his head free, he nodded curtly and closed the door softly after him. My brother, while remaining one of the smartest people I'd ever known, sure could be a ditz at times. Who'd have thought?

I got changed quickly, then added some foundation and brown eyeliner to highlight my big doe eyes. I topped it off with a dab of peach lipstick, before I gave myself a speedy once-over and danced down the stairs.
***

True enough to his word, he bought me ice-cream, as we walked along the sand dunes of the beach and exchanged conversation on college and life outside the home.

You see, my brother was next in line to my father's company (something to do with time-sharing, I'm sure) and he worked ever so hard to impress his bosses and co-workers. Ever since he came out of school, all his life has ever been was about work. It meant next to zero time for anything else; I was surprised we even had the time we did this week.

Therefore, him taking me out and dressing oh-so-nicely could only mean one thing.

He'd met someone.

Someone he was trying to look appealing for. Maybe he had brought me along as moral support but, if he needed a wing-woman also, I'd be his gal.

I didn't remember Dellos dating anyone since he was a teenager. Even then, the details were blurry. Perhaps he never even dated anybody and just brought a girl home every now and then, knowing not to waste his time.

Yet, I couldn't ever picture him being the kind who slept around. He was so gentle, so sincere; everyone we associated with loved him, and rightly done.

I rubbed my lips, freezing strawberry cream seeping onto my tongue.

Once the treats were devoured, he took me to a nearby cafe and bought us drinks. I insisted on hot cocoa despite how he said he'd gladly dish out on getting me a flavoured tea.

We didn't chat about much when we sat down. I took the corner table, so I could keep an eye out for any women coming in through the door, assessing them based on what I thought his taste in females were like.

Well, he liked Nora. Not in that way, admittedly, but he openly flirted with her.

So, maybe I was best keeping an eye out for blondes. Or girls small in stature. Or who seemed a bit proud, but deep down, was nicer than most.

In the meantime, we chatted more about the company and my studies. He wasn't pleased when I told him about my being late to Mr Wong's class and his reaction.

Finally enough, I squinted my eyes, as I checked my watch. It had been more than forty-five minutes... I was beginning to doubt if she'd appear.

Oh god, my brother had been stood up.

What. A. Bitch. Whoever she was.

So, eager not have this day end in more misery, I brought up memories or subjects that never failed to cheer him up. Although he didn't look as crushed as I'd thought he'd be, I was just happy I was there to support him.

I'd drained my cocoa and swirled my fingertip around the rim, listening to him as he spoke about the company and what plans he had in store for them.

"Do you want to share a milkshake?"

Nope, he didn't seem fazed at all by being stood up. Did this happen more often than I thought? Ridiculous.

We, of course, purchased strawberry, topped with whipped cream, pieces of fruit and cinnamon sprinkles. When I enclosed my mouth over the straw, I faced him squarely and his gaze narrowed.

Somehow... that triggered a chugging contest. With a giggle in my throat because of the way he was staring at me, I backed off and lost the match.

Hanging out, just the two of us, wasn't something we did often – but right now, I was reminded why I loved it when we were able to.

"Well, I hope this has made your day better. After she's neglected to meet."

He blinked. "What?"

"Your date. She stood you up."

"Oh. Yeah... it sucks, but she's a girl. I think I'd rather hang out with you, anyway." He shrugged, popping a blueberry into his mouth.

I slapped him lightly, smiling. "You big cheese."

Once we were done with our delicious milkshake, Dellos must've completely given up on waiting as we walked back to his car. He, unlike our parents, didn't own anything too flashy. It was a purple Corvette and he treated it like his baby.

We were a few meters close to it when I heard my name being called. Pouting, I turned.

Only for my mouth to drop open.

"Nikolai! Wh-what are you doing here?" Oh God, I had to get him away quickly, before anything bad happened.

My schoolmate was wearing a thin green tee, with camouflage knee-length shorts and combat boots. Not something I was used to seeing him in, but it also didn't strike me as his usual attire, either.

And the shiner on his cheek was still swollen from the punch at the party. Looked like it would be trouble eating with that.

"Just wanted to catch up." He flicked the shades on his head over his eyes, forcing me to look at my own reflection.

She was trembling.

"Look, I didn't mean to be such an asshole at the party. Dom told me earlier in the week that you guys were having problems and asked me if it was best to break it off with you... so, naturally, I already thought he had. I didn't mean to be such a sleaze–"

"What?" I was gobsmacked. I knew he and Dominic were friendly, but to spurt our love life to this degenerate? Out of everyone? "Dominic had thought about dumping me for weeks?"

Okay, I'll admit. That hurt.

I trusted that guy with my life for the last two years, even considered giving myself to him – and he'd been unhappy for a while? That was... that was... fuck. I didn't even think there was a word for it.

"Uh, yeah. So, now that you're back on the market, do you think...?"

For the second time in two days, a fist collided with Nikolai's jaw. The smack of the flesh startled me and I whipped sideways, to find my brother nursing a reddened hand. Meanwhile, Nikolai picked himself up from the ground, groaning.

He bounced up on his feet, slightly dazed, eyes landing on me swiftly before they adjusted, since his sunglasses had broken after he'd been struck. When he eventually came to, he recognized the man standing beside me.

"Hey, bro, I wasn't–"

"Stay away from her! You come close again and you'll have more than my fist to worry about." Dellos spoke through gritted teeth, about to close the space between had I not grabbed his hand.

"Don't." I pleaded.

Features softening, he regained his composure as he directed me back towards the vehicle. He jumped in without another word, or a glance at either of us.

My gaze met with Nikolai's across the way. I thought he'd be rubbing the sore spot, or hell, had even stormed off. However, I wasn't prepared to see that his goodbye to me was a devious smirk.

It meant something, I knew that.

Forcing down the black cloud of dread that had begun to swirl around my mind, I hopped into the car and we drove back without a word between us.
♠ ♠ ♠
Heyo hope you’re prepared for the next chapter. Secrets are revealed that change the game completely. Thanks for reading. :D