Fatal Facade

Chapter 3 - Old Friends

I had managed to spend the rest of the week avoiding anyone wearing a flat cap, I would cross the road when I saw them walking on the same side as me, I would purposely turn around if it was a particularly narrow street, and of course any pubs were out of the question, due to the fact there would be at least 1 group of people in each pub wearing flat caps. I had only caught glimpses of Tommy and John Shelby. John would give me a notably foul look whenever I caught his eye, Tommy had obviously told him about my little escapade with his pocket watch. Tommy on the other hand, he wouldn’t even look at me. It seemed I didn’t exist to him anymore, and when he did cast his eyes towards me he appeared to look right through me.

As well as avoid anyone in flat caps I had also followed his other instruction. In my downtime I would find little cafes to read in and have a bite to eat. During this time some people would approach me for small talk, as of course a woman sitting alone was a rare sight We were either expected to be sat with other female friends or be out with husbands. I would often be approached by men, first they would query why I sat alone and I would just gesture with my eyes towards the book in my hand.
They would then invite themselves down to sit with me, I would comply with the small talk and casual flirting. Once they felt comfortable I would ask about the Shelby’s and the Peaky Blinders. This often resulted in one of three things. The person would either make their excuses and leave suddenly, they might mention I shouldn’t ask questions like that, that they’re dangerous and violent gangsters. Other people, mostly those who had lived in Birmingham all their lives, would boast about their knowledge. I found out quite a few things by doing this.
I discovered that the ginger fellow with the boisterous laugh was Arthur Shelby, the oldest Shelby brother. I also found out that Tommy had a sister called Ada and younger brother called Finn. The whole family was split between 3 houses next to each other on Watery Lane. Alongside the Shelby clan also lived their Aunt Polly. I was told by a certain raucous man that she had overseen the family business while the boys went off to war, apparently, they had served in France and it was well known that Tommy had served as a Sergeant Major and had been rewarded several medals. Which this loud fellow flaunted that he had supposedly witnessed Tommy throw into the canal.
When I tried to enquire about what their business entailed I would only get snippets of information here and there that I had to piece together. From what I could gather they ran a gambling shop inside one of the houses on The Lane, as well as illegal gambling they would also offer thuggish protection to people that paid for it. There were also rumors they would harass businesses themselves and then demand money for it to stop.
It sounded like an uncivilized gang who had no consideration for the community they lived in, after learning about the Peaky Blinders and their leader Tommy Shelby I decided that I would pay even more attention at avoiding them. Considering I wanted to keep a low profile and already had dangerous pursuers searching for me, I didn’t want to get involved in anything else so precarious.

When I wasn’t finding out about the Peaky Blinders or relaxing in cafes I was working. I had made enough money to ensure I wouldn’t go hungry for a few weeks and had already brought myself a dress for the races. The dress was a soft pink color with white stitching that was patterned in a floral style. It had sleeves that ended at the elbows and a hemline that finished at my ankles. Unlike the fashionable drop waists most ladies wore, I chose to wear one that pinched in at the waist. It may give the wrong idea but would also add as a distraction. My hat was a slightly darker pink and also had white stitching in a netted style at the brim of the hat, the white fabric slightly draped over my face and rested just above my eyes. The pink bag followed a similar fashion, with the added pockets and compartments inside I had sewn in myself.

I had hung my outfit up on a hook that was screwed into the back of my room door. I looked it over and contemplated what would be a good finishing touch. In the bottom of my raggedy suitcase laid 2 wigs, although I was proud of my copper locks they were also easy to pick out in a crowd, hence the wig was a necessity when doing a job this hazardous. The blonde wig was a medium length resting just below my shoulder blades, they had soft waves and gave the air of youth and innocence. The brunette wig was in a bobbed straight style and a low side sweeping fringe. I opted for the brunette wig as I assumed it was the most inconspicuous.

I looked over to my clock and checked the time. 11.15am. I stood up from my bed and walked over to my sink and mirror. Grabbing my comb, I gently brushed through my hair before laying the comb back down near the sink. Although the complete look was finished I would need something to add the affirmation of my false persona, just incase it was questioned by anyone.

I was meeting my old friend today who is coming all the way up from Bristol, my home. The same guy that had given me the false papers to enter Birmingham was going to present more papers for me that displayed another identity. Of course, I had to pay this time as he had already requited the favor I was owed. I was meeting him in some tea rooms about a 20-minute walk from the BnB.
The Brass Kettle it was called. I had been there before once before, the decor was ancient by my standards, dusty nets hung over the windows and the table clothes were an awful brown color. The entire place had an aroma of mildew and musk. But it had 2 exits and a back door through the kitchen, as well as being a fair distance from my residence and plenty of side streets to dash down if need be. Although I trusted my friend was clever enough to ensure he wouldn’t be followed, I had to be sure. I had been in Birmingham nearly 2 weeks now and my fathers scope would surely be extending north. I had to be extra careful. I refused to be caught.

By the time I arrived at The Brass Kettle it was about 11.45. I looked over to the windows as I attempted to see inside, but the dusty netted curtains were doing their job and hiding all customers from prying eyes in the street. I entered the front door and the bell rang rather lazily. The woman at the counter glanced up and gave me a small but authentic smile before looking back down at the paper she was reading, leaving me to seat myself. I surveyed the room and noted and elderly couple in the corner enjoying what appeared to be sponge cake and tea, I looked over to the window and noticed that the only other occupant of the tea room was my friend, Danny. I strolled up to the table and couldn’t help myself from grinning broadly at a familiar face. Although I didn’t like to admit it to myself, I did miss home.

“How you doing Danny? Its good to see you” I said softly as I placed a hand on his shoulder for a few seconds before sitting down in the wooden chair opposite him, it had no cushion and was rather uncomfortable.
Danny’s eyes lit up and he closed the paper he was reading.

“Its good to see you too Iris! A pretty face in this grey city will always be a good sight to me. I trust you got here with no trouble.” He spoke smoothly and at ease, despite his tone of voice however there was a slight sheen of sweat on his forehead. He was clearly nervous.

“No trouble at all Danny, worked like a charm. Thank you again for coming up here.” I said politely.

Danny leant closer to me. I could see more droplets forming on his brow and the worry in his eyes emerging.

“I know I came here for business, but I have something else for you” He reached under the table and brought up a briefcase. It was unlike Danny to skip the small talk and get straight to business, perhaps this dispute with my family was affecting him more than he let on. This was evidenced by his body betraying him.

“Inside this case are the documents you requested, as well the certain pieces of equipment. This equipment will allow you to make basic documents for yourself.” He placed his hands either side of the briefcase and took a slow deep breath.

“But Danny, why would you…” I started, but he held his hand up to quiet me. I complied and listened to him, he was acting very strange. He wiped the sweat from his brow with his tweed blazer and continued.

“Your family are extending north and adding the police to their payroll, they’re employing coppers to keep an eye out for someone with your name and your description. You need to be able to do this stuff yourself” He said as he waved his hands over the case.
“And you need to get good at it. The only thing you’ll need to buy yourself is a type writer, cardstock paper, construction paper, and cotton blended paper.”

I sat there gaping at him obtusely, with my mouth slightly open.

“Why are you telling me all this now?” I questioned.
“I have no experience in this, if what you say is true I’ll need your help. Professional help.” I argued. Although I could read and write well I had no clue where to begin when it came to forgery.

“Iris…” He started. He looked up from the table and into my eyes.
“They know you were using fake documents to travel, it won’t be long before they trace it back to me. When I leave you today… you won’t see me again.” He stood to leave.
“There’s detailed instructions in that case on how to make fake I.D certificates, fake train tickets, and fake certificates of authenticity, those can be used for authenticating fake gemstones and such. Its not much, but it’s a start.”

I stood alongside him and grabbed his forearm before he could walk away. He turned to look at me, he entire guise was gone now and what was displayed was honest emotion. He looked so flustered. I could’ve tried to reason with him, tried to persuade him to stay with me instead. But by looking at his face I knew he had made up his mind. He was in full fight or flight mode, and Danny was the kind of guy to pick flight.

“I don’t know what to say, its all so sudden.” I felt silly saying those words, but it was all true, I was at a loss. I had known Danny since I was 11 and although we did business together I also considered him a good friend of mine. He turned and placed his hand on my cheek, slowly moving his thumb along the cheekbone.

“Goodbye Iris.” He said with an air of finality. He looked at me again for a heartbeat, then turned and strode away.

I followed him outside, briefcase in my hand and looked about the streets for him. I noticed him walking away, back towards the train station. I was concerned for him but also plagued by his warning. I made a silent decision in my head and turned around, walking the long way back to Watery Lane.

After arriving back at the BnB I sat down on the edge of my bed in a daze. I had just said goodbye to someone I considered a good friend, probably my only friend from Bristol. I said a silent prayer in my head for his safety. If what he said was true, the we would both need to be very careful. Although I was sad to see him go he had made the right choice. Considering we would both be targets we would be safer far away from each other. If he got recognized it would also aid in my own downfall, and vice versa.

I ran my hand over the black leather suitcase, I felt the grooves and bumps that indicated it was real cured leather. Without giving it more thought I opened the case and took a careful look inside. The first thing I saw was the I.D papers he had given me. I looked them over in admiration. The A5 paper was a mix between thin cardboard and cotton blended paper, the writing was in detailed cursive, and the stamp in the top right looked authentic and intricate. I read the text on the certificate.

The Council of Gloucester hereby declares the legitimate heritage of Miss Jenna Lovelett as a niece of the Duchess of Gloucester, Lady Rose Lovelett.
Underneath the official cursive writing was a smaller print stating who to contact in the event of losing this document. As well as the Duchess’s “official” signature. Below the accredited stamp in the top right corner was a black and white photograph of my face, it was lucky I had chosen to use the brunette bobbed wig as the photo displayed me having dark hair as well.

I put the certificate to one side and looked at the other items in the case. There were a few sheets of paper, but Danny was right about me having to buy more. There were also numerous ink blot pens and calligraphy quills. I looked at the ink jars that had been placed in a separate box filled with sawdust to keep them safe. There was black, blue and red ink available. I suppose black would be used the most and I would buy more colors as and when I needed them. As well as ink, paper, pens, and quills there were carved rubber stamps and wax seals with various designs carved onto them. I looked them over, there was one from the Official Jewelers Society, Council of London, Gloucester, Lincolnshire, and Manchester. Finally there were stamps displaying various train companies that I supposed could be used for fake train tickets. At the bottom of the case was a handmade book, I looked inside and noticed it was Danny’s handwriting. I skipped over the book and noticed it had detailed instructions about which types of cursive to use on what documents and which ones required the lettering to be done on a type writer. It told me what types of paper to use for what I was trying to forge and gave detailed examples the what was usually written on each type of specific document. Including what the small print would say word for word. There was also information about documents that I hadn’t the equipment for, such as official invitations from highly marked members of society.

I closed the book and placed it back into the suitcase before closing the suitcase as well. I locked the hatches on either side and slid the case under my bedframe. I would focus on practicing later, at the minute my mind was focused on the next challenge at hand.

I intended to use the document Danny had made me to get into the top box at the Cheltenham Races, as a niece of the Duchess of Gloucester it would be offensive for the marshals to deny me entry. Only the richest people entered the top box and it was my intention to make a large profit that day. Now my full disguise was ready I could feel myself looking forward to the future. After this job I should have enough money to begin renting my own place. No more single bedroom. Once I got my own place I would focus on find a more permanent position for work. Thinking about the case again, I presumed the first thing I would be practicing was fake references.

The time was 3pm, Friday afternoon. The races would start on Saturday, tomorrow at 10am. I stood and looked through my window. I saw people going about their day and smoke rising into the sky, mixing with the grey clouds above. I noticed the familiar swagger of the 3 flat cap boys. Tommy, John and Arthur. They were walking down the center of the road heading in the direction of The Garrison. Silver smoke was drifting from their lips as they smoked a cigarette. Curiously I thought to myself, I had never seen them with a cigarette in their mouth.

I felt my stomach rumble. I put my hand over it as I remembered the short meeting between Danny and me. I had intended to get lunch with him, but that idea didn’t exactly go to plan. I headed out my room, locking the door behind me with no trouble this time. Walking down the two flights of stairs and out the front door I started towards the bakery. I would grab my dinner and then warm up water for a bath before grabbing an early night. Tomorrow was a very important day.