I’m on Your Side

If We Knew Then

My vision faltered ever so slightly as I stared down at the papers in front of me. Groaning, I pulled my glasses off of my face before reaching up and rubbing my temples.

I dropped my red pen on the table top at the same time that the front door opened. Solomon, laying under the table at my feet, immediately let out a low whine. "Shh, everything's fine." I whispered. Solomon huffed at me before laying his head back down.

"Fay, where you at?" Jonathan's voice echoed loudly through the house. "Kitchen!" I called back, returning to my work.

It was only moments before Jonathan appeared in the doorway. He was wearing his usual business suit, only his tie had been loosened and the top button of his shirt was undone. There was a faint red mark that looked like a pair of lips on his white shirt. It was tucked just below his tie. This wasn't the first time he had come home in this condition. I'm sure if I were to stand next to him, I would be able to smell her perfume.

"You're home late, how was work?" I hummed, looking back down at the papers spread across the table in front of me. I could hear the wood creak under his weight as he leaned against the door frame. "Geez, Fay, maybe wear your glasses. It's only seven." He scoffed, pushing himself off the door frame. I peered up at him through my lashes as he went over to the fridge. I let out a very audible sigh.

"I may not be wearing my glasses; but even I can clearly see that the clock says its nine forty-five." I used my pen to point at the clock across the room.

Jonathan was silent for a few moments before moving away from the fridge. He set his beer down on the table, condensation running off onto the papers I was grading. He was now leaning up against the table next to me. I was right, her perfume was all over him. "I got busy, and had to work late. I'm sorry, baby." He had a cocky smirk on his lips.

Sighing once more, I pushed my hair out of my face. "I don't want to argue with you, Jon. Solomon and I are going to stay at my mothers for the time being." I told him. "Argue? We're just talking, what would we possibly have to argue about?" I could tell by his tone that he was instigating. Slowly, I pushed myself onto my feet.

"Did your secretary work late too?" I questioned, crossing my arms over my chest. "Of course. What's that got to do with it?" He scoffed. Reaching out, I began to gather the papers from off of the table and I pulled them into my arms. Solomon climbed to his feet from under the table and came to stand by my side.

"You not only smell like her perfume; but you have lipstick marks on your neck. I'm not a moron Jonathan, and this is not the first time. You might've been at work, but you definitely weren't working. So, I'm leaving. Come on Solomon." My voice was calm and unwavering. I clicked my pen once as I turned on my heel and walked out of the kitchen. I could hear Solomon trotting along behind me as I walked.

"Fay, come on! You're being ridiculous!" I could hear him speaking from behind me. I kept walking, with Solomon still following behind me. "I'm done playing this game Jonathan. I'll be back in a few days for my things." I tried to stay confident.

"Fay, come on. It's not really over, you know that. Fay. Fayre, don't walk away from me." He was shouting now, and I thought I heard him start to follow along behind me. I grabbed the bag I had packed and left next to the door before clipping on Solomon's leash. I just had to make it to the car and we would be good to go. "FAYRE!" Goosebumps raised on my skin when I heard him scream my name.

I moved faster, slamming the front door behind me and rushing over to my car. We had to get the hell out of here.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this is the beginning of something new.

I have a new job, and time is a bit hectic; but I will be writing and updating this as much as possible, along with my other stories. Please let me know what you think.