Nothing Without You

Confrontation

Upon sitting at the bar, I felt a little unprepared. I wasn't sure who Matt Donovan was, or even how I knew him. I thought it would be far more difficult than it proved to be. I thought I'd have to ask around at least, but a few moments after I sat down, a blond haired, blue eyed bar tender seemed to recognize me. "Molly? What are you doing back?"

"Matt Donovan?" I questioned, and he must have figured out that I wasn't exactly me.

"Oh, so I guess you're not all back, are you?" He said, speaking a bit "in code" as to not draw attention.

I shrugged, not really sure how to answer that. "Not exactly. But that's why I'm here. Stefan Salvatore sent me to you, he said you might be able to tell me a few things."

He looked around, making sure no one else would hear. It was a pretty quiet day, so I wasn't too concerned about eavesdroppers. "Look, I wouldn't normally do this for people who sympathize with vampires, but I like you. You've always been a good friend to me. So here's the short version, you're looking for Stefan's sleazy brother, Damon. He's the one with all your answers. But he's a regular here and I don't want that shit going down in my bar. So you better get out of here before he sees you."

"Wait that's it? It was that easy?" I asked, feeling stumped as to why he wasn't trying to do whatever it was Stefan was doing.

"Yeah. That's all I got for you. All I know is that he's the one that compelled you to leave and forget everything. And I'm not even supposed to know that. I only know because I heard Elena and Caroline talking about it a while back." He shrugged, going back to his job. "Now do me a favor and stay away from here. I can't have trouble here."

I got up, not wanting to over stay my welcome. "Thank you Matt, you've been a great help."

"Sure. One last thing." He said, making me pause. "Damon is about as unpredictable as they come, and I don't think he's going to do anything but make you forget what you're here for. He's a hot head and an overall mess. Be careful."

I smiled, appreciating everything he'd said. "Don't worry, I think I can manage." I said, silently and slyly referring to my hybrid friend. "Thank you." I left the bar and made my way to a park bench. I didn't know Matt, for all I knew he could be a werewolf, so I wanted to make sure I was out of ear shot when I dialed Klaus' number. He'd only dropped me off recently and I didn't assume he'd gone too far.

"Done already, dear?" Klaus answered. It sounded like he was in a car.

"Yeah, that was way easier than I anticipated." I chuckled, feeling hopeful. "We're looking for Damon Salvatore. I-"

"Yes, I know." He said, and I was surprised. How long had he known and why didn't he tell me? "I need you to head back to the hotel for now, I'll be back later."

"What? You want me to just sit and wait? Are you going to find him?" I was getting a little upset. This was my journey, and I wanted to be a part of it.

"That's the plan, but this part can't involve you." He was being short with me, I could tell he wasn't one to compromise when he had his mind set on something.

I was not entirely sure what to do, I didn't want to argue but I honestly felt that this wasn't right. "Why not? This is happening to me. I deserve to be involved in this!"

"Look, you aren't coming with me this time. You don't know what you're up against. I'm trying to help you!" He sounded just as frustrated as me.

"I know." I sighed, knowing he really was trying to help. If he knew Stefan, he must have known Damon, and according to Matt, Damon seemed dangerous. If Klaus knew Damon was dangerous, he never would have let me meet him face to face. "I just don't think this is the right way to do this. Why would he tell you anything? Or agree to anything?"

"I have my ways, love, and you aren't going to like it." I had a bad feeling about what that meant. From then, I knew someone was going to die.

"Are you going to kill someone?" I asked, slightly terrified.

"Go back to the hotel." He abruptly hung up, leaving a sinking feeling in my stomach.