Nothing Without You

1969 Camaro

I don’t remember falling asleep, but I do remember being woken by an almost frantic hybrid. “Get up, we have to go now.” Jesus demanded as he began gathering my things.

“What the hell?” I asked while I sat up and rubbed my eyes. I had no idea what time it was, but it felt late.

“I don’t have time for questions, I need you in the car right now.” Before I knew it everything was packed away before I could even get out of bed. I got up and followed him to the car, feeling groggy. I was concerned about this rush to leave.

“What is going on? Where are we going?” I asked as we sped off, leaving Mystic Falls in a cloud of dust behind us. He stayed silent and focused on the road ahead of him. He looked serious and determined. “What happened?” I tried to get something out of him to no avail. He suddenly swerved and hit a dirt road, racing down it as if to avoid something. “Jesus Klaus! You’re going to get us killed!”

He chuckled at the thought. “I don’t think a simple car wreck is going to be the end of me, love.”

“Well it could be the end of me! Slow the hell down!” I was promptly ignored, which frustrated me. “Damn it Klaus! What are you running from?”

His eyes snapped to me for a brief second before focusing on the road. “I run from nothing! Your ex happens to be running from me.” He corrected.

“What? We’re chasing him? What the hell happened? I told you I should have come with you.” I grabbed on the to door handle, as if it would make a difference if we crashed. I was nervous about al this.

“And you’re lucky you didn’t! Long story short, dear Damon doesn’t like confrontation, nor does he respond well to blackmail.” I looked at him in awe, trying to find an ounce of the crazy in his eyes he’d exuded from his mouth.

“What blackmail?” I asked, not really getting that this wasn’t the time for questions.

He sighed, looking just as frustrated as me. “Another long story short, during the prohibition, Stefan and I got into a fair amount of mischief. I compelled him to forget me and Rebekah and to move on to a better life. And the whole time Damon knew about this, knew about Stefan being a ripper, and didn’t tell him.”

“So what does that have to do with me?” I asked, not drawing the line.

“I told Damon he needed to talk with you, to give you your memories back. When he refused, I threatened to give Stefan his memories and tell him Damon knew all along. He didn’t like that so he ran.”

“That’s stupid. You could’ve just gone through with your threat and he couldn’t have stopped you. Why run?” I asked, not understanding the logic.

“That’s what he does when things go bad. He runs.” He looked a bit somber, like he was realizing something, but I didn’t think it would be okay to ask.

“Is that what he did to me? Things went bad and he just ran?” I asked, feeling weird. I felt oddly hurt by being so easily sent away.

“I don’t know for sure. But I do know that’s his car.” He said as we began to catch up to a blue 1969 Chevy Camaro. Something about that car felt familiar, but I could only assume it was from past memories I couldn’t access.

Klaus sped up to get next to him, and the look of panic in the blue eyes in the car next to us was undeniable. He looked at me with such shock and fear that I couldn't look away. Before I knew it, Klaus pulled my head into his chest and I squeezed my eyes shut. Suddenly, a loud, harsh, crash rang through my ears. He ran him off the road.

I opened my eyes and looked around. Both cars were in the ditch, damage definitely done. I quickly checked myself over and found I was fine. I was shocked I hadn't been hurt. "Are you okay?" Klaus asked. I nodded a "yes" and he immediately got out of the car and ripped Damon from his.

I heard them yelling at each other, and honestly I couldn't even focus on what was being said. I carefully emerged from the car, silencing the both of them. "Molly.." Damon choked out, looking terrified.

"Damon?" I asked, even though I knew he was the one I'd been looking for. "What did you do?"

"Please, don't do this. You have to go." He begged. I just couldn't understand, why was he acting like this. If he didn't want me around, why did he seem so pained by this?

"Undo it. I'll leave, I promise, just undo it." I slowly walked toward him, making him immediately forcing him to back up until Klaus grabbed his arm to hold him there. I held up my hand, silently asking that he let him go. He dropped Damon's arm and surprisingly he didn't try to leave.

"You can't promise that, you don't know what you'll do. You're better off this way, trust me." He seemed very intent on this.

"Do not make me force it out of you." Klaus threatened.

"Did I consent to this?" I asked, though no answer came from him. "Damon, did I ask you to do this? Did I know you were going to do this?"

"No! Okay? I just did it! But you know what? It saved lives, Molly!" His yelling pissed me off. He had no right to be upset, he wasn't the one missing years of his life. He was a vampire, he didn't have to worry about time. I did.

"Do you even understand what I'm going through? Damon you took everything away from me! You took my life, my home, you even took my name! Do you know how long I've been calling myself Catalina? Do you know that I've started a whole life that's a lie? You need to fix this." I found myself yelling at him. I was so angry at him for taking this away from me, I didn't even know how to deal with anger like this.

"Look, I'll answer whatever, but I'm not doing this. You're not getting your memories back." He stood his ground and some part of me felt like I'd been in similar situations like this with him before. Arguing with him felt normal, like it was a common thing.

"That's not up to you!" I retaliated. "I have questions that only I can answer for myself!"

"Don't you think I have questions too? Like why the hell you're prancing back into my life with the freaking devil himself?" I glared at him, not entirely sure what his problem with Klaus was. I knew Klaus had a lot of enemies, and I knew we hadn't exactly been a model citizen, but I could only imagine what he'd done in Mystic Falls to deserve the treatment he seemed to get.

"This isn't about who I'm spending time with, this is about getting my life back." I put my hands on my hips, tired of this confrontation, tired of seemingly going in circles and getting nowhere.

He laughed, and my blood boiled. "You're never getting your life back. You have to accept that like I did."

I crossed my arms and glared, knowing what I had to do. I wasn't proud of what I was about to do, but it was all I had. It was that or live the rest of m life never knowing myself. "Bite him." I said, entirely too calm. Without question or hesitation, Klaus bit Damon in the neck, leaving his mouth bloodied and red. "When you're ready to return what's mine, he'll cure you. But util then, enjoy your fevers, your flashbacks, hallucinations, and everything that comes with the slow death you'll face if you don't make the right choice. And you better act fast, because I'm going back to New Orleans. And it's a long drive." I turned my back on him and got in Klaus' car, him following my lead.

The car was damaged, sure, but luckily it took off without a problem. We drove for a short while before I noticed Klaus start smiling. I gave him a questioning look and he answered me without me needing to ask. "I suppose I didn't realize you have quite the dark side to you."

"And why is that making you smile?" I asked, a smirk on my face but an attitude in my voice.

"Because you're more like me than I thought." I rolled my eyes and focused on the road, not that I needed to. I knew I was trying to avoid smiling, but I failed miserably.

"Do you think that'll work?" I asked, a little unsure of my last second actions.

"Honestly I would have done that in the first place had I not been worried about upsetting you." He shrugged, and I could tell he was getting some kind of sick enjoyment out of being able to do that. "Stefan won't let his brother die. I give it a day or two before they catch a flight to New Orleans."

"Why didn't we just fly? Would that not have been a lot faster?" I asked, not even realizing it until right then.

"Of course it would have. I supposed I hadn't considered it." He was lying and I could see that, but I didn't think his intentions were malicious. Especially when he looked at me and gave me that flirtatious, devilish grin.

"I should thank you. I know I dragged you into a bit of a mess, and I'm sorry about that. I really appreciate you helping me with this." At the time I didn't understand fully what this meant, what this would lead to, what mix of trouble and wonder lied ahead.

"Don't, it's quite alright. My reasons for helping you are selfish, I promise." He chuckled, making me laugh.

"And what are you getting out of this? Aside from curing your curiosity." I knew he'd only agreed to do this because he was curious about what I was, if I was a threat or whatever. He did it to ease his mind. But I was realizing there was more.

"Me? I'm getting, let's call it, a vacation, from all the bickering between factions in New Orleans." He stopped and thought for a moment before turning to me with a daring look in his eyes. "And getting to spend a few days with a beautiful woman isn't so bad either."

"Thanks." I said, flattered. It was kind of a stupid response, but I wasn't sure what else to say. My cheeks burned and for a while I forgot about all the drama with Damon. It amazed me how he made it easy to just... Be.

After another 14 hour car ride, horrible gas station food, stories, and enough laughing and jokes to settle us for life, we finally made it back home. I hadn't slept this time, feeling bad about making him drive in silence. I was exhausted when he'd pulled up to my place. "There you are."

"Thanks. Hopefully in the next day or two I'll have my answers." I yawned, beyond ready for bed. "And hopefully I won't lose my job for disappearing for days without notice." I rubbed my temples, feeling a headache coming on. I couldn't believe I hadn't even thought about work.

"You'll be fine, just go to work as planned. I'll take care of it." He was always so sweet and accommodating.

"What, are you going to compel them to forget I was gone?" I laughed, hoping it would stay as simple as that.

"Of course I am. Not to worry." He gave me a hug, which took me off guard. "Call me if you need anything, alright?" He said as he held me at arms length.

"I can't thank you enough for everything." I smiled, feeling like I was so close to getting my life on track thanks to him.

"Get some rest, darling. I'll see you tomorrow." He turned and left, leaving me with almost an empty feeling.

Luckily, it was the middle of the night and I didn't have to deal with any questions from Emily or Jared. I eased myself into bed, only then noticing how much my shirt smelled like Klaus. I slept feeling peaceful and safe, which, unbeknownst to me, would be the last time I'd get to do that for quite some time..
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's been so long! I eel awful for it, but hopefully the updates get more regular. Let me know what you think! I have great plans ahead!