Super Mom

1/1

Sunday found herself outside the library at five-to-twelve, nervously shifting from foot to foot. She was constantly smoothing down her yellow 50s-esque dress as it blew slightly in the wind. Suddenly there was a tap on her shoulder and she turned around. The man in front of her was easily recognizable – White Skull. He had gotten obviously older and was way past the point of greying as all the hair on his head was white. Sunday remembered the last time she has seen him, he was her mentor, meant to train her to be the next generation of Supers, well, that was until she left to marry her husband and start a family over 20 years ago. Sunday constantly looked back, wondering if she made the right decision, to leave her own family to start a new one. But every time she looked at Wednesday and her younger son she immediately knew the answer to that question.

“Wow, Sunday, it’s been a while.” White Skull said, she had never learned his real name, only what he went by to other Supers.

“It has, what’s the emergency?” She asked, checking her watch, she only had so much time before she had to be back at work. White Skull looked taken aback, but quickly shook it off.

“I don’t know if you’ve been aware, but there have been unusual occurrences in the area as well as a series of attacks against our people.” He explained.

“Your people, not ours. I’m not a Super anymore, remember?” Sunday folded her arms against her chest. When she agreed to leave the Agency she had to leave everything behind, her family, her friends, and her powers, everything that made her a Super.

“You’re still one of us, Sunday, you always will be.” When Sunday didn’t respond, he continued to inform her on the situation. “We suspect these attacks come from a girl named Monday, she was a little younger than you were when you were in the Agency, I don’t expect you to remember her.” Sunday didn’t remember her, in fact, she didn’t remember much of her own childhood anymore. “She was denied training because her powers were not suitable to our needs. Since then she has trained on her own and is more powerful than we could have ever expected.”

“Where do I come in to this?” Sunday asked.

“Well, I’m getting old and–” An alert coming from White Skull’s wrist cut him off. “It’s Monday, we have to go. Now!”

White Skull grabbed Sunday’s arm and dragged her down a few blocks, every time they reached the end of the street he would check his watch to determine where to go next. Sunday, already fed up, and her feet hurting in her heels, pulled him to a stop.

“Where are we going?” She demanded, placing a hand to her chest, trying to ease her breathing.

“Monday . . . she’s struck . . . again . . .” White Skull managed to get out between breaths. “High school.” With that, Sunday’s face paled and her mind immediately went to Wednesday who was at school today. Not even a second later Sunday had taken off down the street and it was White Skull, with his deteriorating super speed, who had trouble keeping up.

When they arrived at the scene, all hell had broken loose. Buildings were on fire and every minute or so a loud scream would fill the air causing the ground to shake and a headache to form in Sunday’s head. White Skull had removed the blazer and slacks he had previously been wearing and revealed the blue and white suit that Sunday vaguely remembered. White Skull rushed inside the building and before Sunday followed him in she grabbed a large axe off of a nearby firetruck so she wouldn’t be empty handed. Running into the school Sunday ducked down and coughed into her sleeve, the smoke immediately getting to her. She struggled to follow White Skull but managed to find him in the main atrium of the school staring up at Monday.

Monday seemed slightly younger than Sunday with fiery red hair and a black suit. Her eyes were green but blazed orange right before streams of fire shot out of them. When she raised her hands, what appeared to be scalding coffee shot out and covered the young students below her, one of which, Sunday could see, happened to be Wednesday.

“Get away from my daughter!” She screamed and it was as if time had stopped. Everything froze, everyone was at a standstill except for Sunday as she marched her way up to Monday and swung her axe across her throat. Monday’s head flew across the room until it hit the wall, spattering it with blood. When the rest of Monday’s body hit the floor time recommenced and teens were screaming in pain while White Skull was just staring at her impressed.

“I guess you are still one of us.” He said with a smile, but Sunday was not paying attention, the only thing on her mind was Wednesday whose skin had gone red with burns.

“Wednesday! Are you okay?” Sunday ran towards her daughter, tossing the axe behind her. Wednesday was crying, her skin already bubbling up with blisters. She pulled her daughter towards her, cradling her in her arms. “Shh, the ambulances are coming, I promise.”

Once the ambulances arrived, Sunday let her daughter be taken away to the hospital, promising to get there as soon as possible, but first there was something she had to do. Searching the area outside of the school she easily found White Skull in his pale blue suit and made her way over to him.

“Listen, I don’t know what happened in there but–” White Skull cut her off.

“I told you you were still one of us. You belong with the Agency Sunday, you’re still a Super.” She sighed and crossed her arms with a slight smile on her face.

“I am a Super, White Skull. I’m a super mom to my kids, and that’s the only super I’m ever going to be.”

“Sunday, you were still able to use your powers! That’s unheard of!” White Skull was trying to convince her.

“I did it because that was my daughter in there. I made my decision a long time ago White Skull. I knew this life wasn’t for me then and it isn’t for me now, but you know what is? Being there for my kids, and that’s what I’m going to do.” She straightened out her dress, trying to make the most out of it with its bloodstains. “Say ‘hi’ to my parents for me, tell them I’m alright.”

And with that, Sunday set off to the hospital to see her daughter, because no matter how good saving the world felt, being a mom was a thousand times better.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a short story I wrote for class last year.

Any feedback would be great!