Purple Eyed Girl

Welcome Home

Staring out the car window, Katherine Peterson can hear not only the rain falling swiftly onto the ground; but also the steady beat of her heart. She had been running for what feels like days, and weeks, and months. She found safety in a strangers car, parked in the middle of no where. If only she had learned how to drive, or if the keys where placed in the ignition then she could just drive away, and make her escape that way.

Why was she running? And whom was she running from?

The men of the government; in charge of making sure the world order still stood and nothing ever changed. There were so many rules that had to be followed on the daily, and breaking any of them would result in severe consequences.

In this day and age it was illegal to have different colored eyes than the rest of the world. They all had blue eyes, but Katherine's eyes where a beautiful shade of purple; that no one had ever seen in decades. The last time eyes with this shade of purple where discovered, a war ensued. They're were many casualties to this war, and Katherine didn't want another to begin. So she ran, and ran, and ran. And now she was miles from her home, and she was lost and hungry, and cold. And now the rain falling steadily on her window, reminded her of when times were good. And when she wasn't running, and she wasn't cold or hungry. Usually Katherine loved the rain, but this time; it scared her.

Tears fell from her eyes as she reflected on the moments before getting discovered, she knew she should have thrown out the empty contact case but the guards had found it hiding on her desk.

The package read, blue colored contacts, and thus it made him suspicious of her true eye color. She had to order these contacts from a special website online, that makes custom contact lenses. Her eyes had not always been purple, they only started to change months ago, but she knew she had to hide it from everyone; other things about her began to change when her eyes started changing. She could see into peoples minds, things that she never would have known before, she could also make things move without touching them. She could see the world in a different light, a light that the government never wanted her to see.

She strolled in happily that evening, from a wonderful date that ended with a swift kiss; thinking everything was finally alright with the world. Only to walk into her room and be met by armed guards, they grabbed her and she tried to fight her way out of the situation but a grey haired man stabbed her in the side with some kind of needle. Next thing Katherine knew her eyes were closing abruptly; whatever he had injected her with hit her veins rather quickly.

Hours later, she woke up on the cold hard ground of a jail looking cell, once they knew she was awake they grabbed her and placed her on a bed and strapped her in and began testing and testing her. They found that not only where her eyes a different color but so was her blood, it too was a deep purple. The government knew they had to hide the information from the public, if anyone got wind of any of this an uproar would start.

Katherine waited until late one night, she suddenly had the strength of a thousand men in her bones. She was able to release herself from her restraints and ran towards the front of her prison. She couldn't break down the bars, but she focused on the keys resting on the desk in front of her. With the power of her mind, she was able to knock the keys off the desk and into her hands. Unlocking the gate and making her escape down the hallway; she could feel her heart singing its song inside her chest. The fear overwhelmed her, but the adrenaline of getting caught made her keep going.

Suddenly, while she was running; an alarm was triggered. The sound echoed in her ears and crept to her soul. She heard feet running after her, and jumped out a nearby window. She was met by nearly thirty guards, all ready to capture her once again and return her to the prison she escaped from.

Katherine practically flew past these guards, she kept going and going and didn't stop. Until now that is. Curled up in the safety of the vehicle she felt blessed to find, she watched the rain and reflected on her childhood days. Everything was perfect until her mother was taken from her, she had broken the governments most important rule. Every second child must be a male, and she had a girl. Not that it was something that was inside of her control, but the government doesn't care about that; they set the rules and if they are broken the consequences will be given. In this world, they're are so many rules and consequences following breaking these rules.

Her eyes began to get heavy, and for the first time in weeks she fell into a comfortable slumber; dreams taking over her tired mind and soul.

***

"Excuse me, what are you doing inside my car?" A voice suddenly interrupts Katherine from her deep sleep. She sits up and looks out the window and sees a very angry young man pounding at the window.

Opening the car door and stepping out; she quickly comes up with an apology to soothe the mans anger.

"I'm so sorry," She manages to spit out, "It was late, and it was pouring rain; and I was running and this car was unlocked."

That seems to calm him down, and then he takes a good look at her; she wish he hadn't as she was a mess. Her jeans were ripped and torn, her blond hair a matted disgusting hairstyle.

"You have purple eyes..." He says suddenly, reaching out and grabbing her chin and looking deep inside them. He doesn't react like she thought he would, he just stares deep into them; thinking and contemplating about something. "Get back in the car, I'm taking you somewhere."

"You could be a serial killer." She says, not moving a muscle and inching back away from the man.

"Says the girl who spent the night in my car." He says, getting in the drivers side and encouraging Katherine to enter the passenger side.

"It was a moment of weakness; plus I didn't know it belonged to anybody." She gets in anyway and glances at the man, "can I get a name?"

"Call me Evan, and I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you're name is Katherine."

Katherine looks at the man perplexed and confused, "how do you know that?" she asks, not truly sure she wants to know the answer to that.

He smiles, and still keeping his eyes on the road reaches to the passenger side glove box and pulls out a clipboard with a list of names. All but one crossed out, her name.

"What is this?" She asks him, wanting to get to the bottom of all of this. He doesn't say anything and keeps driving. "Can you please tell me what is going on?"

Suddenly he pulls in fast to an old abandoned building which is in the middle of what seems like no where.

"Welcome home." Evan smiles.