Status: For your enjoyment

The Desert of Infinity

The Desert of Infinity

The Desert of Infinity

A land of darkness exists where no one may escape. North to South and East to west the land is dull and void of anything exciting. In the South there is a busy town where people work and play. Down the street you see cars and shops for the droves of people that shop there. Bordering the town on the South side a large desert lies abroad bordered by a chain link fence, and the desert rolls with yellow sand for an eternity. You peer into the desert and it takes you into a trance. In your trance you feel lost and wonder how far the desert stretches. Your mind wonders for hours and then you come to realization that there is no end to the wasteland that lays before you. If you venture out you may never come back and the dessert is called the desert of infinity. For there is no end to this parched land. You will never reach the end as you march endlessly deeper into it. You then find yourself climbing great rolling hills of sand while treacherous sandstorms blast your face into a crusted dry mess that will be impossible to heal. As you march further and further into the desert wilderness that is endless, the hills become more and more steep and the desert begins to turn rocky and hazardous. Rocks that appear as spears sticking out of the ground barely graze your knees as you continue to march further into the unknown beyond. Your are clueless to where you are or where you have been, time has seemed to become a pointless concept. It no longer exists in your mind. All you understand and see is this vast, unrelenting, scorching wasteland. You are thirsty, however you shall never see water again. You are hungry, but the taste of food shall never touch your tongue evermore. Your pointless existence will continue into eternity as you march on into the eternal desert that will never ceases. You ask yourself, “How long has it been? Has it been days, years eons?” The truth is you will never know how long you’ve been travelling in the desert, there will be no point of reference other than traversing from ridge to ridge thru the sandstorm. Time will cease to exist in your mind. The deeper you go the more lost you become and any hope of returning to the city will has vanished. Your purpose will be voided, and soon you’ll find yourself absorbed by the desert. There will be no hope for you and no one to reach out to you to save you.

Eons have passed but no markers of how long you’ve exist in this wasteland. All you know is the millions of steps you’ve taken. You understand by at least now that it has been an unbelievably long time. You ask yourself why did you decide to wander into the desert? Why couldn’t you resist the urge to stay behind the fence like you were supposed to? You had a great life and you were blessed with so many friends. You think back to the days when you were happy and satisfied with what you had. The taste of food, the quenching of water, the gentle touch of love and all your favorite things. This is now only a fleeting glimpse in your distant past, a phantom. As you travel over each ridge of sand, you can see far in the distance, a giant pool of water. As you witness this welcome sight you can feel your swelter with longing for a drop of water on your tongue. You approach the the glimmering pool and as you get close you see it disappear without a trace. What you thought was hope was only a mirage. Your heart becomes filled with rage and disappointment. You begin to weep in despair and once again you’d wished you had not ventured into the desert. What you thought was a place to just explore has become your permanent grave made of sand and dirt. This is the price you pay for mindlessly wandering into the eternal desert.
A few million years pass and you are still wandering and nothing has changed. You have gone mad and don’t even remember your own name. Your mind has atrophied from the neverending lack of stimulation. You feel non-existent, your body is nothing else but your own skeleton. That’s right, you’ve been traveling for so long that your own flesh has rotted off your bones leaving only carbon self. Those hands are now as useless as the desert itself. Your heart is so heavy and hot. You feel a fire burning within you, but it’s not your usual fire no. It’s the burning of hatred and anger within you. This too shall be an enduring element of your eternal stay here at the Desert of Infinity.
Once again, you ask yourself how long you’ve been here. In fact you’ve asked yourself this so many times that it’s become part of your subconscious thought! All the sudden though, the sand storm begins to die down. When the sand clears, you look before you and behold, millions of sand dunes as far as the eye can see. A figure then slowly appears on the distant horizon. It is clothed with white linen and his face as bright as the sun. As IT approaches you are filled with terror and trembling. The time for you realization has come. You can feel that It’s presence is as infinite as the desert itself. As It approaches you realize it’s a man
“Who are you?”
You wait and wait and wait for a response and the man is still approaching you. Who knows how long it’s been. Then finally, after a long while the figure, who is a man asks “How did you get here?”
You look at the man with a sigh “I don’t remember. I don’t even remember who I am.”
Then the man said “Individual, no one in existence has ever come this distance in this place. I have come to collect you. We have I have been watching you from afar!”
“Who are you? And how Far” you ask
“God!” he shouts, “You are speaking to God!”
You shutter and quake in utter fear and the ask
“Wait, how many are you?”
Then in another loud deep voice “Old soul, I am 3 in 1!”
He looks at you intently and its as if he sees right through you. He knows every thought and feeling that goes through you. There is nothing you can hide. He knows your first question.
“Do you want to know how long you’ve been here?”
“Yes, please dear Lord?”
“Well, when you left the town and went to the first ridge that took you 1 million earth years”
In this moment, your mind feels like it's going to explode.
“After that, you traveled for a long time. From the ridge and to here, where the sand storm cleared was 77 trillion years.”
Your jaw drops in utter disbelief .
“You were drawn here by your own distraction, by your own entice. You must be careful, to no be drawn into your own desolation. You were enticed by the desert, a place that no one should ever venture to. You thought to find adventure, but all you found was desolation”
A million question raced through your mind, but one stood out.
“You’ve been waiting all this time?” You asked
“Son, there is no such thing as time where I exist” He replied
“Come I must take you back to safety, this is not where you belong.”
He reaches out His hand, and you take it and immediately you appear right where you started behind the chain link fence. Then, You remember what He told you, “You must be careful, to no be drawn into your own desolation.” So you immediately step away from the fence, turn and walk the other way back to the city, where your bright future lies. But the scars obtained by what you just experienced will never fully heal. You understand, that you must be more careful in the future not to step mindlessly, but that every footing should have a purpose and meaning. This is how you can avoid being trapped by the endless desert, lest you become as useless as the desert itself.
♠ ♠ ♠
This story is pure fiction, but the ideas may not be...