Status: The story has been flowing great so far, and I'm super pumped to write the climatic battle on Inkari!

Rose Squadron: the Inkari Gambit

Victory

Hedasta, Connie and Eren watched the light leave Annie’s eyes, her overjoyed smile at seeing Mina etched into eternity. They sobbed over her body, trying to process her death and her apparent death vision, Inkari’s lightning storm raging over their heads as the sounds of the battle echoed in the distance.
“I’ve never seen her this happy!” Hedasta told them, her breathing ragged as she gently closed Annie’s eyes.
Connie wiped away at his eyes and told them, “We need to get her to a safe location until this battle ends.”
“Yes, you’re right,” Hedasta answered, lifting Annie’s body as she stood. “Let’s return to my Tower until things calm down.”
The Senator proceeded back down the alleyway, towards the plaza where the three paths met. Connie and Eren walked behind her, weeping as they silently processed Annie’s passing. While they knew that she had ultimately passed in peace, the two boys still couldn’t help but mourn the loss of the most determined girl they had ever known.
“This is what she wanted? To die after ensuring that she had carried out justice here on Inkari? I had no idea...I had no idea that she lost the will to live after seeing that video…”
Eren clutched at the hologram recorder in his pocket, anxious to play it and hear what Inkari’s mysterious Chief of Security had to offer him regarding his missing father. It made little sense to him, how this man had gained any information on Grisha Yeager, when Eren’s father had been missing for 10 years.
“Whoever this ‘Uttaka’ person is, he must’ve been incredibly cunning, in order to know whatever he does about Dad. It amazes me, how far he went to undermine that bastard’s authority, and remain undetected the entire time. That’s insane.”
At the plaza, the Loyalist reinforcements had all been blasted to death, lying in bloody heaps over the area. The survivors stood in groups, panting madly and flooded with a collective rush of adrenaline. One of the fighters, a young man with swept back brown hair in an Imperial Officer uniform, saw Hedasta coming with Annie’s body in her arms, and let out a heartbroken scream at the sight.
“ANNIE, NO!”
He crumpled to the ground and sobbed in horror, and when the other fighters saw that Annie was dead, they wept likewise. Another young Officer with bleach-blonde hair, likely the brown-haired boy’s brother, grit his teeth, shed a few angry tears and lifted the weeping boy to his feet, saying, “C’mon Marcel, Annie wouldn’t want us to drown in our grief.”
Hedasta told them somberly, “My comrades, Datenshi ambushed Annie when she tried to chase after him down that alleyway. But don’t worry about that snake; I ensured with my own hands that he died a painful death. Please, gather our wounded and deceased. We need to get them to safety.”
She turned to the other Officer and told him, “Officer Porco Galliard, please relegate this to the others.”
“Yes, Senator.”
He pressed the ComLink on his collar, and announced, “Officer Annie Leonhardt has fallen. She was ambushed by the traitor Datenshi, who was summarily killed by Senator Carolina. Do not let Officer Leonhardt’s sacrifice be in vain!”
A minute later, a vicious warcry resounded over Inkari as the planet’s people learned of Annie’s untimely passing. The sounds of fighting intensified, as the Inkarin’s rage was fueled even further by the loss of their beloved vindicator. Porco smiled coldly, knowing full well that he had helped seal the Loyalists’ fates.
The fighters gathered the wounded and deceased into the arms and filed behind the trio, murmuring in alarm at the sight of two outsiders standing with their Senator. As they sorrowfully touched Annie’s head, the two Galliard brothers stood behind Eren and Connie, looking at the two of them warily.
“Who are you?” Marcel cautiously asked as the group proceeded to march towards the center of Gintomi City.
“Friends of Annie,” Eren answered simply, earning a cocked eyebrow from Porco, who wasn’t fooled.
“You’re both Rebels, aren’t you?” he said wryly, and Connie nodded sheepishly.
“So be it. I don’t have the patience to give a damn, and I don’t think anybody else here does either. I suppose we’re allies, at least for now.”
“I suppose so,” Connie muttered shyly.
Hedasta lead them all back into the center of Gintomi, where the fighting was beginning to die down. All around them were corpses of the Imperials who had sided with Datenshi’s cruelty, evidently overwhelmed by the hordes of armed citizens and their allies. While there were civilian casualties, their losses paled in comparison to the scores of Loyalists slaughtered in the fighting.
Eren looked to the stormy skies and cried out in alarm, “They’re fleeing!”
The others looked above, and sure enough, numerous Imperial pilot ship were fleeing into the atmosphere, desperate to escape the wrath of the Inkarin below. But the enraged people below weren’t the only threat that the Loyalists had to face, for the lightning above reacted violently to the cowards trespassing in the skies.
One by one, the pilot ships were struck with blinding bolts of lightning, and sent careening back down to the ground, colliding with Gintomi’s silver towers and exploding on impact, to the joy of the fighters on the ground. Not a single Imperial ship was able to escape the planet, and it seemed that the sky itself had come to life to exact revenge on the traitors below.
At the far end of the city, a massive Star Destroyer rose off the ground, its engines beginning the priming process for the jump to hyperspace. The rest of the Loyalists had seemingly hijacked one of the planet’s ships from the shipyard on Gintomi’s outskirts, hoping to escape to the comfort of Coruscant.
But Inkari refused.
Numerous bolts of lighting harshly struck the surface of the Star Destroyer as it ascended, sending wreaths of electricity coursing over its surface. Still, the ship managed to float upwards as lightning continued to strike it, and they all saw its light-blue thrusters light up as it prepared to jump.
“Let them crash!” Eren silently fumed, furious at the notion of the cowardly Imperials getting away scotch free.
The Star Destroyer jumped, but even that proved to be futile. Thousands of miles away from Inkari’s atmosphere, a massive explosion erupted in space, and all over the planet, the revolters cheered at the sight of the last of the Loyalists perishing. At long last, they had overcome their traitors, and usurped control of their world.
Two hours later, after the revolting forces had performed a sweep of the entire planet to scour for the bodies of their fallen and then properly prepared them for burial, the Inkarin and Rose Squadron gathered at the Grand Inkarin Cemetery at Gintomi’s west side. The storm had disappeared by then, leaving a waking sunset in its wake, the sky gradually igniting with glorious shades of crimson and gold.
They carried the bodies in their silver caskets tenderly down the path to the burial grounds, as the civilians and rebelling soldiers watched on. As the bodies passed, the onlookers gently tossed soft-blue aonei flowers onto the caskets, adorning the fallen with one of the planet’s best known symbols for eternal peace. Many tears were shed as they counted the deceased, more innocents swept away in the Empire’s treachery.
At the end of the procession, the onlookers collectively sobbed at the sight of Officer Annie Leonhardt, still smiling peacefully, carried down the line by Officers Braun, Hoover, and the two Galliard brothers, all doing their best to remain composed. The onlookers tossed bundles of aonei into Annie’s casket, watching their beloved martyr pass by with forlorn eyes.
It was only fitting that they buried her next to Mina.
------
The sun shone brightly over Inkari’s skyline as the denizens gathered at the plaza below the Senator’s Terrace, somberly waiting for her to speak. Those who couldn’t fit into the massive crowd in Gintomi awaited their Senator’s speech around the HoloNet screens dotting Inkari’s smaller cities. In Hedasta’s office, the members of Rose Squadron conversated with the Senator and the Officers quietly.
“When I go out there, I fully intend to introduce you all to my people,” Hedasta informed them, looking each rebel in the eye carefully. “I want them to know about how you helped Annie find that footage, and by extension, help us learn the truth.”
“Won’t they hate seeing rebels next to their Senator, though?” Sasha innocently asked, and Commander Magath spoke up firmly.
“Don’t worry about that, ma’am. Our people know better than to even sneer at the people who helped Annie find the truth. I beg you, don’t be nervous out there. We’re all grateful for what you did, no matter how small you think your roles in this situation were.”
Hedasta turned to Connie, and told him, “Young man, I want you to tell my people everything that happened, especially how you came to find that footage. While we all know that the topic will break our hearts even further, we all need to know.”
“O-ok,” Connie stuttered in response, already blushing.
“I don’t think she knows that he’s the lone pilot who infiltrated Inkari last year…” Eren mused, knowing the connection would shock Hedasta’s people to the core.
He turned to the Officers, and gently asked them, “Are you guys ok?”
Reiner, Bert, Marcel and Porco had been unable to stop their tears from flowing once they had laid Annie next to Mina, and watched as the burial groundsmen had covered her forever. They tried and failed to smile at him through their tears, unable to deny how broken they were after losing their comrade and friend.
“There’s a good chance none of us will ever be fully ok after what we’ve learned,” Porco answered. “This whole time, that monster Datenshi lied to all of us about what he did to ensure Mina’s death. And nothing sickens me more than knowing that it was Emperor Palpatine himself who ordered her death.”
“I’ve known for a long time that he stops at nothing to silence dissenters, but Mina? Mina never deserved what happened to her! All she did was point out how wrong Tarkin was to destroy Alderaan, and how the Empire has morally fallen in how it’s handled its citizens’ complaints,” Marcel said.
“Annie’s father was right in the end,” Reiner mumbled bitterly, “the Empire isn’t at all loyal to the people it rules over. We thought that our status as a ship-building world like Corellia would spare us from any mistreatment, but we were so, so wrong.”
Bert grimaced, and added, “It’s only a matter of time before the Empire learns of Inkari’s revolt.”
“I don’t think they’ll know for a while, Officer Hoover,” Hedasta said. “Every last Loyalist perished in the battle, and chances are, they were too focused on attempting to silence us to warn Coruscant of our rebellion. We still have time...time to launch a surprise attack on Coruscant itself.”
Everybody gawked at her, and Magath asked her, “Senator, are you serious?!”
“Did I stutter, Commander?” she angrily retorted. “I will have vengeance for what happened to my people and to my daughter, and my wrath wasn’t sated completely by Datenshi’s death. My next target is the leadership on Coruscant, especially the Emperor himself. His death will be even more violent than the one I gave Datenshi.”
Before Magath could retort, Inkari’s planetwide HoloNet system suddenly blared into life as an outside Imperial transmission was received. Everybody in the office turned to the small screen in the room as outside, the Inkarin muttered anxiously, watching the message begin.
A tall, noble looking woman in an Imperial Admiral uniform appeared on the screen, looking traumatized and weary. Magath muttered “Admiral Sloane? What happened to her?” as she spoke gravely.

“Citizens of the Galactic Empire, it is with great sadness that I inform you of our Emperor’s death, along with Lord Vader and the other personnel stationed on the 2nd Death Star who couldn’t escape in time. The rebels managed to destroy it, despite our armada and the superlaser working to decimate them completely.
I have ordered our armada to retreat to our prearranged rendezvous location until we decide what move we’ll make next. While I don’t know what the future holds for our Empire, I know that if we stay united, even through these turbulent times, our order will survive. Please join me in mourning the loss of our Emperor, and listen for orders from Grand Vizier Mas Amedda on our next plan of action.”

A long moment of silence overtook Inkari, before the populace and everybody in the Senator’s office cheered loudly, thrilled that despite the odds, the Emperor himself had fallen. The impossible had happened, and with the Emperor slain, Inkari was far freer than they had originally imagined.
“This is perfect!” Hedasta told them. “With the Emperor out of the way, an attack on Coruscant will further devaste the Imperial bureaucracy!”
“I-I suppose so,” Magath muttered, shocked at the sudden turn of events.
Hedasta grinned at them all, and everybody gathered, “My friends, I believe it’s time for the speech to commence.”
She led them to the Terrace, and beamed down at her jubilant citizens, the darkness of the night dispersed by the joy of their newfound freedom. The sacrifices made and the unprecedented luck they had gained was thrilling, and lessened the grief that they had become burdened with.
“My people, let us rejoice!” Hedasta roared, eliciting bellows of joy from the masses. “The grand traitor himself has fallen, and with him, the Empire’s undeserved control of our world! At last, we are our own world, and no longer will we bow to any tyrant!”
Eren and the others wept, but this time, it was out of relief instead of overwhelming sadness. Nobody had ever imagined that the corrupt Emperor would ever perish, but the wretched man was mortal, despite the rumors that had circulated his existence. The man who had destroyed the Galactic Republic and reforged it into a cruel war machine was gone.
“Before I discuss my plan for vengeance against our wrongdoers, I see it vital that I introduce to you Officer Annie Leonhardt’s stalwart allies, the members of Rose Squadron. These selfless youth are the reason we were allowed to see the revealing footage, and ensured that Annie could carry out her self-appointed mission to the ultimate end.”
Eren and the others flinched as the intense gaze of the Inkarin fell upon them, wary but curious eyes surveying each crew member of the Vindictive Empress. They heard the crowd below whisper tersely “Aren’t they...rebels?” The young Officers flanking them gave them assuring nods, and Reiner patted Connie firmly on the back, calming the nervous boy down.
Hedasta told the Inkarin, “Allow me to introduce Connie Springer, a boy who Annie trusted dearly. Come forward, Connie.”
Connie steeled himself and stepped up to the front of the Terrace, looking anxiously down at the mass. Eren and Mikasa exchanged a nervous glance as Connie managed to speak up.
“H-hello. I’m Connie Springer, and...I’m sorry, I’m not good at public speaking. I never imagined that I’d be asked to address you all, even when I befriended Annie. There’s so much I need you to know, and I know exactly what to begin with.”
He breathed hard, and told them solemnly, “I am the lone pilot who infiltrated Inkari a year ago.”
Hedasta and the Galliard brothers gasped as the crowd below gawked up at him. They had likely expected somebody as infamous as the Corellian pilot Han Solo to pull off such a brazen mission, instead of the meek boy before them.
“I came here to see what I could learn about this planet, but instead, I encountered a seemingly haywire Security Droid that almost literally fell into my lap. As I discovered soon after, that Droid contained within its memory core the footage of what happened to Mina Carolina.”
Hedasta murmured, “This...is insane. That’s how the footage came to be found?!”
“I thought that it was too random and too coincidental for that Droid to find me the way it did, and I was right,” Connie continued. “In the end, this was part of an elaborate and risky gambit started by none other than your Chief of Security Haston Uttaka, who first discovered the footage soon after Mina’s murder. It was he who enabled me and my comrade, Armin Arlert, to access your planet’s HoloNet and project the footage.”
“Chief Uttaka was behind all of this?!” Porco said, his mouth wide open in alarm.
“Your Chief risked everything by allowing me, an outsider, to see what happened to Mina. He gambled his safety on who would find the footage, and in the end, it was me. I...while I’m grateful to have helped you all, especially Annie, I still regret receiving that footage, and seeing what happened to Mina.”
Connie’s voice went shaky as he told the crowd, “It was bad enough when I watched it. But...when I, in my naivete showed it to Annie in my misguided goal to learn the full story for myself, I learned the hard way that neither Annie nor any of you knew the truth, that your Moff covered up Mina’s murder as an accident. I...I’m still haunted by how Annie reacted to seeing it happen on our ship’s screen. She wasn’t prepared...and...when Mina screamed her name…”
He broke down sobbing, and with him, the Inkarin followed suit, clutching each other and wailing for their lost daughters. They were joined by the smaller crowds in the smaller cities dotting the the planet, and with each city’s grief echoing simultaneously around them, it sounded like Inkari itself was in mourning. Hedasta weeped, and gently pulled Connie back, knowing that the boy couldn’t speak any further.
“It wasn’t your fault, young man,” she whispered to him, but Connie only shook his head sadly, unable to forget that awful moment.
Hedasta retook the front spot, and announced to her people, “For too long, we have sat idly as the Empire brutalized those who weren’t as privileged as we. It shouldn’t have taken Alderaan’s destruction for us to admit to ourselves that our government is corrupt. When we learned that the Empire was more than willing to destroy an entire planet, especially a Core World like ours just for openly sympathizing with the Rebel Alliance, we should’ve spoken up. In our silence, we’ve allowed even more innocents to be murdered by the Empire’s cold apathy. But no longer!”
She shouted at the top of her lungs, “Now is the time to inspire the other Core Worlds to battle! Now is the time for us to step forward with all our might, to strike back at Coruscant and the smug bureaucrats who believe that their rule is absolute! When we attack, we will unleash a rain of fire upon our enemies, with a fury that will haunt their nightmares forever! The Imperial leaders will know our rage, and know that their disgusting treachery will not go unpunished! TO ARMS, MY PEOPLE! TO THE STAR DESTROYERS, AND TO VICTORY!”
A terrible warcry erupted all over Inkari as the people surged towards the shipyards, ready to board and swiftly form an armada. Eren shuddered in awe, knowing that they easily had enough manpower to launch 12 of the massive ships against Coruscant. It would be a surprise attack that the Imperial Capital was woefully unprepared for.
Hedasta turned to the members of Rose Squadron and softly told them, “I don’t advise that you follow us to Coruscant. I am eternally grateful for everything you all have done for me, Annie, Mina and the rest of Inkari, but there’s no way your ship would survive this upcoming battle.”
“Trust me, Senator,” Ymir chimed in, “I have the common sense to not attack the Imperial Capital itself.”
“Good. This is goodbye, until we are lucky to meet again. Good luck to you all in whatever endeavor you pursue next. Tread carefully, because should the Empire learn of your role in liberating Inkari, they will attempt to hunt you down.”
“And we’ll be ready,” Jean answered stoically.
“Farewell, Rose Squadron,” Hedasta said to them, smiling as she bolted from the office and out of sight, Magath and the Galliard brothers following close behind.
Reiner and Bert told them, “This is goodbye. It’s been an honor serving alongside you all, and putting an end to Datenshi’s treachery. We’re forever indebted to you for what you did for us, and most of all, what you did for Annie. You helped her overcome the grief she’s been carrying for so long, and we couldn’t have freed her without you.”
“I’m just relieved that she died happy,” Armin sadly said, and the others nodded in agreement.
“Hedasta told me that she saw Mina as she died, and that it looks like Mina lead her away to whatever world awaits them next,” Bert mused. “I don’t blame her for not announcing that, though; it would’ve been too much for our people to handle when they’re still grieving.”
Eren removed the hologram recorder from his pocket, still aching to know the full story behind its message, and the Officers flinched at the sight of it. Reiner turned to him and spoke gravely.
“Eren, listen to me carefully. There was so much to our Chief that none of us knew, and when we went to him for help in spreading the truth to our people, we learned some deep secrets about him. Please, wait until you’ve boarded your ship again before you play that message. What’s on there could endanger both his and his assistant Pieck’s lives if any of my people catch wind.”
“W-why?” Eren innocently asked. “Did he do something bad?”
“No, Eren,” Reiner patiently answered. “It’s the nature of what he’s been hiding. You’ll understand when you play the message.”
Reiner looked behind them to see that the plaza below had nearly emptied, and told them, “Bert and I need to go. We’ll both be needed in the assault on Coruscant. Goodbye for now, Rose Squadron. Don’t hesitate to contact us if you ever need our help. We all owe you our freedom for what you did for us.”
The two Officers bolted from the Tower, leaving Rose Squadron alone at last. Ymir addressed her underlings firmly, anxious to board her ship and leave the turbulent planet behind.
“Well, let’s get back to the ship. I don’t have a damn clue what the big deal is about this recorder you’ve got, Eren, but I suppose we’re about to find out. Let’s go.”