Daphne Descends

Chapter 1: An Ending

Pikku Huopalahti, Helsinki, Finland
One year ago, 2008


The slam of a car door and the honk of the alarm made all the hairs on Sydney's neck stand up. He was finally home. Rushing to the iHome on the kitchen counter, she shuffled a playlist she had created. Music softly flowed through the kitchen as she pulled a vegetarian lasagna out of the oven.

Dancing on the walls was the flickering light of the candlesticks on the table. The candlelight gave the illusion that the two long stemmed wine glasses beside them were glittering. Next to the fresh lasagna, a bottle of sauvignon blanc sat chilling in an ice bucket.

Sydney smoothed out her hunter green sweater and black pants, then proceeded to check her makeup in the mirror in the hallway. A light wash of a sparkling champagne eyeshadow and a bit of brown eye pencil smudged into her lower lash line made her brown eyes appear larger. Her long hair was piled into a messy bun atop her head. A few dark waves fell down to frame her pale face.

A lump started to rise in her throat as the lock turned and the door swung open. The tattoo of Maya Deren on his chest peeked out from undone buttons on his long sleeve black shirt. His curls neatly tucked behind his ears; he was so handsome.

"Hey." She smiled sweetly. Ville looked over and smiled half-heartedly as he shut the door and kicked off his grungy converse.

Sniffing the air, he replied, "Hey, you made dinner?" As he walked past her, the aroma of cigarette smoke, peppermint gum, and cologne wafted through the air.

"Uh, yea," she replied, following him into the kitchen. "I thought we would have a nice dinner. Maybe watch a movie?" A hopeful twinkle in her eye. Sydney watched as Ville examined the spread on the table. A slight smile on his lips, then he shook his head.

"I was going to call you and tell you, but I got something to eat at the studio." He stripped his coat off and hung it on the back of the kitchen chair.

"Oh." Sydney mumbled, furrowing her brow in disappointment as she leaned against the kitchen counter.

"Hey, but this looks incredible." He praised with a sympathetic smile and a pat on the shoulder. Ville did not look her in the eye, but instead looked over her head. Turning on his heel, he started to ascend the stairs. Sydney bit the inside of her cheek and stared intently at the tile floor.

"Are you up for a movie though?" She didn't look up. The slight taste of copper crept it's way onto her tongue

Ville hesitated from the top of the stairs, scratching the back of his head, "Um, raincheck? I'm just exhausted, I'm just going to take a shower and go right to bed." he called down to her.

"Damn, that really hurt." she thought to herself.

Slamming her hands on the counter, Sydney marched after Ville to their room. Her blood boiling as she bounded up the stairs and down the hall to their bedroom. As Ville undressed, peeling off his shirt and yanking his belt from his pants, Sydney pushed the door open.

"Ville, what's going on?" She blurted out. She winced as her heart jumped into her throat. Ville whirled around where he stood, his belt fell to the floor with a soft thud.

He furrowed his brow, "What are you talking about?"

She shuffled uncomfortably and took a deep breath, "Things aren't working and I don't know how to make them any better." Sydney began to tremble as anxiety twisted her chest, a stinging sensation erupted from her skin. Ville stood before her, his heart pounding in his ears. He folded his tattooed arms acrossed his chest, pinching the bridge of his dainty nose.

She took another deep breath, "I feel like I'm the only one putting any effort into this relationship anymore. I mean you didn't even call me to tell me you had already eaten. I know this is your career and you know how much I support you, but I don't even come in second anymore. I don't feel like a priority to you, I feel more like an inconvenience. You haven't touched me in months because when you are home you're too tired. When you call, you don't say anything anymore. We are total strangers now and when you're here you're more like a roommate. We've grown so far apart and-" She sucked in her lips, choking back tears, "I need to know if I'm wasting my time."

Ville ran his hand through his long curls and wiped away his hands over his face. He cleared his throat, taking her hands in his.

"I'm sorry, Sydney." He sighed, stroking the back of her hands with his thumbs, "I suppose I was avoiding the subject because," a nervous chuckle escaped him," ironically, I didn't want to hurt you. I know you've always been supportive of my art and I will forever be appreciative of that. We have grown apart, yes, but I think, more than anything, we've outgrown each other."

She felt everything drain from her as Ville searched her face for a response. The prickling sensation in her skin intensified; she felt like she was on fire. Her stomach churned as sickness began to rise in her throat. Her heart hammered in her chest as she fought against misty eyes. She felt about an inch tall and had an overwhelming urge to vanish into thin air.

Nodding her head, she mumbled, "I agree." Gazing at each other with red eyes, tears spilled over onto their cheeks. Ville pulled Sydney into him and held her tightly. Her arms hung down at her sides, defeated. She felt the soft plops of his tears as they fell on to her hair.

Sydney gently pushed Ville away, "Well, I guess that's that then, huh?" She chuckled sarcastically. Ville tried to wipe her tears away, but she jerked away from him as she wiped them away herself.

"Syd, we can talk about it." Ville sat on the foot of the bed, crossing his arms over his tattooed chest.

Sydney shook her head, "There's nothing to say. I mean we just said everything that needed to be said." She rubbed her brow as she tried to process what just happened and conceal her embarassment. She trudged to their closet, grabbed her suitcase, and flung it on the bed behind Ville.

"I'll um- call Noora, see if I can stay with her for a few days." She mumbled, her face soaked in salty tears as they landed with a soft plop on her sweater. Ville gingerly laid his hand on top of her’s while she stared inside the empty case.

"Come on, you don't have to leave tonight. It's already late, sleep in here, I'll sleep on the couch." Ville searched her face as Sydney plucked her hand out from under his, shaking her head.

"No, it's fine." She whimpered as she opened the top drawer on her dresser and gathered several pairs of socks and underwear in her arms.

Ville sighed, wiping his face with his hand, "Syd, come on." he pleaded.

"I don't want to impose." She mumbled as she shoved the underwear and socks into the mesh pocket of the suitcase. She turned to open the next drawer on their dresser when Ville slammed it shut, narrowly missing her fingers.

"It's not an imposition if I ask you to stay, Syd. I would like to talk." She looked up and met his tired gaze. His eyes were red and glazed over, they seemed to be a brighter shade of green. His beautiful face wet with cascading tears. A pain shot through her chest and she promptly turned away, going back to her task.

"Wow, imagine that. You break up with me and suddenly you have just so many things to say." She hissed while digging through a pile of t-shirts.

Ville gently touched her elbow, "Syd-"

Sydney jerked her arm away from him,"Just-just leave me alone, please." She drew a shaky breath. John Mayer faintly drifted in from her phone on the docking station downstairs.

"Dance with me." He murmured. Sydney ignored him as she continued to gather her belongings. Snatching her laptop off the bedside table and nestling it between a stack of pajamas and t-shirts before dashing to the bathroom.

"Sydney!" Ville growled.

Her head shot up, glaring at Ville in the bathroom mirror, "What?!" She snapped back, her voice cracking.

"Dance with me.” He choked back tears, wiping at his eyes with the back of his hand.

Sydney scoffed, "You hate dancing." She glared at him as she zipped up her suitcase. She would come back when he wasn't here to gather the rest of her things.

A half-hearted chuckled escaped Ville's trembling lips, "I know." Sydney bit her lip. Ville held his hand out for her to take. Briefly contemplating his offer, she met his gaze.

"Come on." He whispered. He gently took her hand and pulled her closer to him. One tattooed arm found its way around Sydney's waist as he took her hand in his. The back of her hand rested on Ville's arm. They gently swayed back and forth to the music. Still looking at the floor she reluctantly moved along with Ville as he pulled her tightly against him. Towering over her, he rested his cheek gently on top of her head. His height used to be something that comforted her, now she just felt like a foolish child.

Sydney abruptly pushed him away from her. Ville stared back at her, letting the tears fall down his face.

"Why-why would you mess with me like that?" Her seething voice cracked, "Why would you do that knowing th-" she caught herself before she could finished that sentence.

Ville sniffled, wiping away fresh tears as he reached for her, "Syd-"

Sydney raced down the stairs, on her way to retrieve her phone, "I need to go call, Noora." she mumbled.