Status: One Chapter Story

Aviation

It's such an easy flight.

I have come to the realization that we are always waiting. Waiting for the cab on the side of a busy road. We wait for new lovers, even perhaps old lovers to cross our paths. We wait for our own self- realization, we wait to be settled in a proper family. Today I am waiting at an airport, standing in the security check line. The AC was broken in the entire airport and I pushed back a lone piece of hair off my face. I could feel the sticky collar of my leather jacket cling to my neck. I shifted in the material and refused to remove it. Stubborn, you can say I suppose. From my peripherals I saw a women pull up her hair into a neat bun on top of her head. Her hair was a vibrant copper, she had make up on, her eyeliner was winged upwards giving her eyes a catty outline. A soft pink blush kissed her cheeks and a dark pink lipstick clung to her lips. She wore a navy tank top that hugged the contours of her sides. She was tall, a bit taller than myself - but not that much. She wore brown boots that reached just below her knees. She was buried in her book, a tattered copy of The Call of Chthulu by H.P Lovecraft. I chuckled silently to myself thinking, how macabre. As if she heard me she looked up from the book, meeting my brown eyes to her vibrant green ones that pierced through my being. I quickly averted her gaze as the TSA agent took my passport. She looked down at my passport and looked at me through her thick black frames. She smiled as she handed it back into my hands. "I'm a big fan." She said quietly as she pushed up her glasses. "Thanks, love." I replied only giving her a half smile. I took off the shiny black leather shoes I wore and placed them in the bin provided, as well as slipping off my now sweat drenched leather jacket.

I sat in front of the gate of my flight. I was going to miss Seattle, the brisk air and the grey flocculent clouds that dawned the sky. It reminded me much of home, a place I was going back to after two years. I looked up from my laptop to see other people enthralled into their own small screen. The rapid click and clack of keyboards filled the space.

The boarding began and I walked onto the enormous plane. I looked at the number of my boarding pass, 8F. It was an aisle seat, I sat down as the fake leather seat squeaked as I shifted my weight. The boarding was almost over and as they were about to close the doors, someone barley made it at the last possible second. It was her. Here bun was looser than before, it looked like she had been running. Her chest was flushed and she carefully wiped the sweat forming above her brow. She spoke with the flight attendant, the conversation was inaudible. She pointed at the empty seat next to me and the flight attendant nodded giving her a plastic smile.

She hustled down the aisle and stopped at my row. "Sorry that's my seat next to you." Her voice was like slow oozing honey.

"Of course." I said standing up and letting her through. The aisle were small, as she moved passed me I caught a whiff of her perfume. Something floral, but I picked up hints of spice. I bit my lip and pushed the thought out of my head.

I sat back down and she quickly settled in and continued reading the book I had spotted her reading earlier. I contemplated telling her my name, did she know who I was? Would she not talk to me if she realized who I was? I tapped my fingers against my knee in anticipation.

Thirty whole minutes passed and the air staff began taking down drink orders. Thank god. I thought to myself.

"Miss, would you like anything to drink?"

"Bourbon." She replied quickly making brief eye contact with the flight attendant.

"And for you Sir." Her eyes lingered on me for awhile.

"I'll 'ave the same." I said avoiding direct eye contact.

"Right away sir." She said her voice raising in pitch. She strutted down the aisle slowly and looked back at me. I rolled my eyes when she had gone. I ran a hand through my hair and leaned back into my seat.

"So—erm—how is your book?" I said, instantly regretting my decision to spark conversation.

She looked up and straight into my eyes. Her green eyes scanning my face, pursing her lips.

All she said after what felt like an entire decade was, "Alright."

Alright? It looked like the book itself went to hell and back, I glanced over and pages were marked up, yellow highlighter decorated some pages. Alright? She must of read this bloody book over a thousand times and it's alright? I opened my mouth to say something but closed it and pinched the bridge of my nose. I was a moron. After about fifteen minutes the flight attendant came back with both our drinks.

"Good choice." She said pouring the amber liquid into her cup that was filled with ice. I followed her swift movements pouring my own liquor.

I smirked and brought the cup to my lips, letting the cold liquid flow down my throat. I licked the top of my lip and set the cup down. I turned to face her and her cup was already empty.

"Wasting no time I see?" I inquired as she flicked a page of her book.

"Nope." She responded enunciating on 'p'. She smiled slyly and closed her book. She shifted in her seat and attempted to cross her legs. Her legs were slim and I swear went on for days.

"What was your name?" She asked raising an eyebrow at me.

"Alex." I said attempted to catch up to her, throwing the liquid back into my throat in one swift movement. She gave me a coy smile.

"You are?" I asked knitting my eyebrows together and flagging down the flight attendant.

"Désirée" She said, the way she pronounced her name sent shiver up and down my spine. "You can call me Desi."

The flight attendant interrupted by thoughts, " Yes?" She said her gaze lingering once more.

"Can you be so kind to bring me two more bourbons."

She nodded her head and left without saying anything.

"You're wasting no time getting plastered." Desi said a hand cupping her chin.

"Don't be daft, ones for you."

Her eyes flickered towards me, she looked surprised. "Oh." She said a smile tugging at her lips. "I guess it'll be a much easy flight than I thought."

"Where is your final destination?" She inquired as she redid the bun that sit atop of her head.

"Sheffield." I said running my hand through my hair. "Staying the night in Los Angeles. Leave Tomorrow at a god awful time." I groaned dreading the grueling twelve hour flight that awaited me.

"Where are you staying?" She pressed as she finished raveling her hair up.

My eyes shifted and I chuckled, "Are you planning to stalk me?"

She feigned laughter and inhaled delicately. "No." she said nodding her head. "Just curious. I have to stay the night their as well. Don't really know the area."

"Ah." I said shifting uncomfortably in my seat. "I use to have a flat there. Where are you staying?"

Her face scrunched up in thought. "The Waldorf? I think." She said pulling out her phone to verify.

"In Beverly Hills?" I said incredulous, that hotel was dripping with snobby ooze. It also so happened that, that is where I was staying as well.

"Yes." She confirmed slipping her phone back into her pocket. "You know where that is?"

I simply nodded my head. "That's where I am staying as well."

A cheeky smile danced on her lips. "Maybe we can catch a cab there together?"

Her sudden engrossment took me aback. "You hardly even know me, dear." I said wishing the flight attendant would hurry with the drinks.

"Well." Her lips pursed and parted slightly. "Don't you want to get to know each other?" The sentence was dripping with suggestiveness.

I adjusted my collar and gave her a glance. "I guess I could expect the sudden change of character from someone who reads H.P Lovecraft." I scoffed still scanning the plane for the attendant.

She laughed, genuine this time. The harmonious sound of her laughter danced on the tips of hair in the back of my neck.

The flight attendant came back and placed the miniature sized bourbons on my tray. I downed one without even bothering with the cup. I handed the other to Desi she popped it open and poured it into her cup.

"Do I intimate you?" She said coy, bringing the cup to her lips.

I chuckled, "Hardly." I took some ice in my mouth and crunched down on it. "Where did you say you were headed, remind me?"

"I didn't say. London." She said reaching down towards her bag, pulling out a light knit grey sweater.

"What did you say your last name was?" She said chewing on the bottom of her lip. I stared at the way she concentrated.

"Is this part of your plan to stalk me?" I quizzically said examining her features. The smile that tugged on her lips and the horrid plane lighting somehow made her look even more beautiful.

"I know who you are." She looked straight through me I felt like the air was getting heavy. Bricks.

"Go on then, tell me." I gestured towards her with an open hand as if we were about to dance.

She looked me up and down and opened and closed her mouth. Searching for the words.

"You're that guy that was staring at me at the security check point."

The weight was lifted off my chest, I'd hope she wasn't a fan. "Okay?" Not sure how to respond to her interest that began increasing. "I wasn't staring either." I brushed off her accusation.

Her hand traveled up to her neck and she rested it there. "If you say so." She rolled her eyes and leaned her seat back.

The familiar beep of the airplane woke me up. Desi had her head rested on my shoulder, she must've fallen asleep. I examined her, she looked serene, still, like the ocean. The captains voice filled the cabin, "We are now descending into Los Angeles. Should be on the ground in twenty or so."

Desi and I agreed to take a joint cab to the hotel. The Waldorf Astoria was quite possibly my favorite hotel and yes it was also the most pretentious one. We entered and the familiar off-cream walls that lit the room. The walls were high and a delicate, a diamond chandelier hung in the middle of the room. A couple lounge chairs and the check in desk was made of marble, I was sure of it.

Desi walked up first and I saw her shoulders tense and she placed her slender fingers against her head. The receptionist and her exchanged some words for about twenty solid minutes. She walked towards me there was a nip of annoyance in her eyes.

"Unbelievable, they double-booked my room. The hotel is booked." Her eyes travel to her phone which is now in front of her face, she franticly scrolls through it. "Do you know of any hotel near by?" Not looking up from her phone.

"Well, I know we just met but.." I hesitated and rubbed the back of my neck. "I have a suite, I could sleep on the couch those are proper beds themselves innit?"

She scoffed, "A suite, what are you a billionaire?"

"It beats finding a last minute hotel, besides I don't expect you to pay me anything."

"What if you're a billionaire serial killer." Her eyes scanned my face searching for a reaction.

"Don't be bloody mad."

The off-color cream walls complemented her green eyes, they shone brighter than before.

"Fine." She said in defeat, "I'll be waiting on those chairs." She waved in the direction of the chairs and slumped into one.

The room was more massive than I expected. The walls mimicking the color of the lobby. The walls were high and the couch as I expected was a black leather couch that took up half the lounge area. The room had a terrance and three wide and tall windows lined perfectly to the exit. The hollywood hills decorated the skyline and the iconic Los Angeles sun began to set, the sky gleamed pink and blue.

"Wow." Desi said as she dropped her suitcase at the door. "This is incredible. What kind of drugs are you selling to get this piece of art." She made her way out into the terrance the shadow her figure made caused by the sun filled the room. "Got a smoke?" She said not turning around.

I shuffled through my things and found a brand new pack of cigarettes. I walked towards her letting my shoes softly clink against the tile floors.

"Didn't take you for a smoker." I unwrapped the package and pulled out two cigs. "Fuck I don't have a light."

She disappeared into the massive room and remerged with a pack of matches. "Fancy hotels, always have to have fancy matches." She lit the cigarette that dangled loosely on her lips. Taking a long drag she leaned against the railing.

"I'll go turn some music on." Distracted and lost in my thoughts. I flipped the radio on, not caring to flip through channels.

Meeting her again outside she took another drag and blew the smoke besides her.

"What a night, huh?" She was now facing me the way she held her cigarette was mesmerizing.

"Quite right." I lit my own cigarette while pushing the hair out my face with my free hand.

We found the mini-bar filled to the brim with top-shelf liquor. Needless to say we helped ourselves.

Our speeches began to slur and I felt the room sway. I still had the radio on and the DJ host began to speak, "Now let me grace your ears with a new single from Arctic Monkeys."

I stood there frozen and a pang of anxiety crept up on me. I scanned the room and Desi was absolutely smashed. I heard my own voice filter into the room.

From the bottom of your heart

The relegation zone

Desi locked eyes with me and didn't break her gaze until she was standing right in front of me. She draped one hand over my shoulder and with her free hand she reached for my own hand and placed it on her hips. Her hips swayed in unison with the beat of the song - my own song.

I saw this coming from the start

The shake, rattle and roll

I daringly pulled her closer my palm flat against her back. The room seemed smaller, it was just her and I dancing - if you could really call it that.

"Stupid song, innit?" I followed the gentle sway of her hips.

"I kinda like it, don't you?"

I shrugged as I pulled her closer, her warmth radiating against my chest. Refusing to forget the intoxicating sent of her perfume or the feeling of her body pressed perfectly against mine.

The next day we parted ways, she was off to London and my flight was a bit later than hers. I hailed her a cab and she thanked me, embracing me one last time.

"Glad you didn't turn out to be a serial killer." She winked and planted a small kiss on my cheek. She gracefully got into the back of the cab. She waved like the Queen, causing me to laugh. The car drove off into the sunrise, leaving me at the curb. I was waiting again, but this time I was waiting to meet her again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Have an idea for a full story if I get enough interest! Thanks for reading!