Summer

One.

Wind howled through the forest, blowing her fiery locks every which way. A low growl rumbled in her chest as she roughly tugged the curls back behind her ear, only for the wind to blow them back into her face again. Giving up she pulled the scrunchy she always wore from her wrist and turned to face the wind. She dipped her head low, caught the mass of tangled hair in her hands, and pulled it all into a bun that rested rather messily atop her head. Looks be damned; if anyone had anything to say about the unruly style, she'd surely punch them right in the face for it.

"Can keep your nasty opinions to yourself," she muttered under her breath.

Turning back around she continued on her original path. The wind still blew at her, knocking hairs too short to stay up loose from the scrunchy. Still it was much more comfortable than having her whole head of hair whipping at her eyes and mouth. On top of that she had been practically blinded. A loud sigh blew past her lips; whether it was one of relief or exhaustion, she didn't care to think on.

It had been a long day. She had worked the overnight at her job, come home to take a nap, and then gone out on a walk. She was determined to defeat her friends in the step challenge she had partaken in. Of course that had been six hours ago; now her feet were sore, her water almost gone, and she had run out of snacks an hour ago. Her stomach rumbled its complaint at the lack of said snacks. She hoped to come out of the forest soon.

Her wish was granted as the dirt path gave way to gravel and dirt, becoming increasingly more just gravel the further she went. There was a break in the trees that opened up to bright sunlight- the beautiful meadow surrounding a pond starting to come into view. There was a voice on the wind; what sounded like her name being called.

She looked around, eyes so light a brown they were almost gold scanning the trail that wound around the pond. She couldn't sight anyone, shrugging and hiking her bag further up when the straps started to slide off her slender shoulders.

And then she heard the- still distant- footsteps coming from behind her.

"Summer!" her name came a bit louder. "Summer, wait up!"

She turned back around, right at the edge of the trees, looking back to who the voice belonged to. Liam- her friend for the past ten years- was running along the path, waving at her as he went.

"Wait up!" he said again, laughing a bit breathlessly. He slowed down as he approached and then came to a stop a few feet away, bending over to place his hands on his knees. His breath was heavily laboured.

"What were you doing?" Summer asked him, one red-blonde brow raised. "I didn't see you back there." Liam waved a hand.

"Oh, you know," he said between breaths. "When I run, I don't like to stick to the path."

She took in the fact he was wearing shorts and a hoodie of which the sleeves had been torn off, his phone strapped to his arm. Summer rolled her eyes and breathed out a sigh.

"Well, don't sneak up on me like that," she scolded. "What if I had thought you were a pervert coming after me?" Liam laughed at that.

He finally straightened up, leaning back and stretching his arms out behind his head. Part of his lower abdomen was exposed briefly as the hoodie lifted a bit. Summer had to admit: the guy was nicely toned. Liam looked at her again when he finished stretching.

"That's a nice look," he said with a gesture toward her hair. Summer flushed and purses her lips.

"Leave it alone," she grumbled. "It's too damn windy out. I couldn't see anything over this stupid- unmanageable- mane!" She waved her hands for emphasis, struggling to find the right words for her hair. It was beautiful, but sometimes it was exhausting to take care of.

Liam laughed and nodded. He raised his hands in submission.

"Was just teasing you, don't take too much offense," he said. His breathing finally returned to normal she noticed. "Anyway. I just wanted to say... good luck!"

"Good luck?" Her eyebrows knitted together.

"Yeah," Liam nodded again. He started jogging lightly in place. "Because I'm gonna beat you again this week!" He stuck his tongue out at her before turning back around and jogging off the way he came.

"Oh, you little shit!" Summer called after him, but she laughed anyway at his antics. As much as she finally wanted to win this time around, she wouldn't be too miffed if he came out the champion- again. She rolled her eyes and turned as well, continuing on her way.

She was past the pond and on the pathway that lead back into town, rounding the corner past more trees when she collided with another person. She drew back, both parties uttering numerous apologies. Bright green eyes met her gold ones and she couldn't contain the gasp that left her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sounds a bit cheesy. It'll be like that sometimes.