Buck Moon

Chapter 2

The first months of my life were filled with endless love. Auntie Rose doted on Renesmee and I to a suffocating amount. Uncle Emmet would try to tell her to ease back, but I would reach for her with squeals of joy. It made Auntie Rose happy to coddle us.

Auntie Alice loved putting me in all sorts of outfits. Renesmee, like mommy, didn't like dresses, which were Auntie Alice's favorite. I told her she could give me a thousand dresses. Auntie Alice said she'll give me more. I like dresses.

Uncle Jasper was quiet. He liked to watch and listen. Renesmee and I found him in the library one day. We watched him read, and eventually he started to read out loud. Uncle Jasper read us history books and historical accounts. Sometimes he told us his own stories. We sat and listened.

Uncle Carlisle taught us about feeding when we started moving on our own. No more blood bags. We tried animals, and Renesmee took to it well. I couldn't hold it down. Auntie Esme cooked for us after. Renesmee ran to the bathroom post haste. I licked the plate and asked for seconds.

Jacob liked to play with us. He let Renesmee and I ride on his back as a wolf and carry us across the forest. Father wasn't happy when we got back the first time. Our laughter eased the scowl on his face. The next time, we didn't go as far.

Mother, when she wasn't being taught how to handle her 'newborn' ways, was always with us. She loved to read to us. Unlike Uncle Jasper, mother preferred fiction. So did we. Every night she read to us. Sometimes all day. Renesmee loved listening to Jane Austin and Shakespeare. I loved J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Louis.

Father loved listening to Renesmee share her thoughts through her hands, and loved me telling mine. He couldn't 'hear' me, like he couldn't 'hear' mother. When he wasn't listening to us, we listened to him play the piano. Father loved music, almost as much as he loved teaching us about it. Renesmee took to playing quickly. She played differently than father. Softer, sweeter, just like how her thoughts felt in my head. I would hum when she played, which is when Father started teaching me how to sing. Mother and Esme cry whenever Renesmee or I perform.

My sister and I grew, which scared our family. Human children didn't grow so fast.

"They aren't human," Carlisle said.

As the days passed, Mother held us more often and harder. Renesmee tried easing her with her thoughts, but it only worked until two days later our clothing didn't fit again. Even Alice's smile became strained with each new outfit she provided. Renesmee and I would hide in our room at the cottage when the stifling worry of our family became to much. She'd silently share her thoughts, and I'd whisper mine until Mother or Father knocked on the door. They wouldn't ask us anything, just stay and listen to our innocent conversations. We were their sanctuary as much as they were ours.

With a crash, those first few months ended. We all stared at Alice and the broken flower pot at her feet.

"The Volturi, they're coming."