Buck Moon

Chapter 3

I stared at the oil painting in Carlisle's office. The three kings stood over a balcony, watching the many below within the canvas. If the subjects hadn't of been vampires, the piece probably would be in the Louvre.

I bet they're stiller in life than in the painting, Renesmee thought. I squeezed her hand back in amusement.

It'd been days since Alice's vision in the living room, as well as her and Jasper's disappearance. Mother, Father, Jacob, Renesmee and I were the only ones still in Forks. Besides the wolves, everyone else was out finding vampires. Witnesses, Father called them. An issue, Jacob always replied.

"I hope they aren't as scary," I said. Renesmee squeezed my hand back in agreement. Even in oil, the red eyes of the three vampire lords were formidable. Caius, his hair white as snow, looked menacing as he glared out below him. There was malice in those painted eyes, the ruthless violence only Jasper's darkest stories could describe.

At the center, proud and tall, was Aro. His hair of dark silk shaped his pale face, whose gaze wasn't nearly as volatile, but a thousand times more dangerous. This was a master manipulator, who was thousands of years old. The one who, if we were so lucky, would pry into our minds. Renesmee's only, if Father's predictions came true.

The last brother, though, didn't look out upon the crowd. He stared off into the distance, face half hidden behind dark wavy locks. Each time I looked upon his visage, I felt myself slowly slip into sorrow. Though his face was perfectly blank, appearing cold to those around him, the eyes were what gave him away. Marcus Volturi was sad.

A warm brush to my cheek pulled me out of the painting. Renesmee's hand was brushing away wetness. She stared into my eyes, her worry tingling under her fingers. Before the beginning of a question could form in her mind, a voice called us to the living room. Renesmee flitted out first. With a glance back into dark soulful eyes, I followed suite.

The Denalis had arrived.

Mother held us to her as Jacob stood guard while Father greeted our guests. There were four members. I was listening to them talking when Renesmee's hand grasped mine.

They won't like us. Mother looked down quickly, having heard her as she held my sister's other hand.

"They don't understand you," Mother corrected. Even if they did, would they like us? Would they help? I didn't ask my questions aloud. Renesmee's hand remained in mine. Mother's words had calmed her, though her fear still tickled the back of my mind. Mother's hands held us closer.

"Bella," Father's voice called from the other room, "bring the girls."

Jacob rounded the corner first, his eyes glaring down at four different points in the foyer. Slowly, hesitantly, Mother pushed us forward, though never falling behind. We barely stepped into the room when a woman with strawberry curls hissed and braced herself to the wall. A man with dark hair crouched before the brunette and the blonde woman. Mother started to pull us back, but stopped when Father held up his hand.

"What have you done!?" hissed the blond.

"You promised to listen," Father calmly reminded.

"Some things can not be heard!" the woman braced against the wall exclaimed, "you have doomed yourselves!"

The blond flitted to the door. "We need to leave," she said, hand on the knob.

"Wait!" Mother exclaimed, hands gripping our shoulders, "listen to their hearts! They are not immortal children!" All in the room froze. All the Denalis were posed to leave, Jacob crouched beside us, and Father blocking the front door. In the silence, Renesmee's heart and mine flooded the room, drowning out the low boom of Jacob's blood stream.

"How?" the man asked. Father and Mother went on to explain to the Denalis about how we were born, not turned. One by one they approached Renesmee. She touched their cheeks and shared her memories, her thoughts. Each retreated with the fear lifted from their gaze. Once the fear of our guests fleeing passed, Father stepped away from the door and in a moment I was in his arms at his hip. Renesmee squealed delightfully beside me as she was picked up by Mother.

"How incredible," whispered the strawberry blond, images still flashing behind her eyes as Renesmee's hand was unintentionally jerked away by Mother's movements.

"And what is your name, little one?" asked a deep voice. Before Father and I stood the only male of the Denali coven. My eyes met the intense golden gaze of the brunette. Behind him, the rest turned to look. I hid my face into Father's shoulder, unprepared for the attention of these strangers. Father chuckled, the rumble soothing against me ear.

"Dearest, this is Eleazar," Father explained. Eleazar, with a smirk, bowed his head in greeting. "There," Father pointed to a figure behind Eleazar, "is Carmen," he then pointed to the figure by the door, "Kate," the blond smiled kindly, "and Tanya," Father pointed to the strawberry blond who stood before Mother and Renesmee.

"Hello," I greeted shyly, "I'm Elizabeth."

"It's an honor to meet you, Elizabeth," Eleazar said, his smile warm and eye sparkling, "you and your sister are very special." Father gasped above me, his eyes locked on the vampire before us.

"Edward?" Mother called.

"Misterioso," said Eleazar, a ghost of a smile on his face, his eyes glazed over, "hay más a lo que puedo ver."

"Elizabeth isn't just a shield," Father said, eyes locked on Eleazar still. Carmen appeared around Eleazar's shoulder. Eleazar slowly returned from wherever his mind had gone to look down at her.

"A shield?" echoed Mother.

"Like you," Eleazar said to her, "able to block any mental gifts of our kind, maybe even physical ones," a gleam appeared in his eye as he glanced at Kate. A sharp growl rolled deep in Father's chest, startling me. Eleazar turned back to Father, body tensed. "Just an idea."

"A dangerous one," Father's tone was threatening. I gripped Father's shoulder and his eyes fell to mine. The rumbling ceased immediately. "Forgive me, dearest," he said, pressed his lips to my hair and took a deep breath, "I am calm."

"You said Lizzy isn't just a shield," Jacob's stilted voice filled the room for the first time, returning all to the subject at hand. He was besides Mother and Renesmee now, one of her little hand in one of his big ones. The concern in her eyes echoed Jacob's tone. Or was is the other way around?

"Yes," Eleazar answered, his eyes returning to me.

"So," Jacob continued when it became apparent Eleazar would not, "what else can she do?"

"He doesn't know," Father answered. The three Denali woman appeared shocked.

"Is it true?" Carmen was the first to ask. Eleazar looked down towards his wife.

"I'm unsure," he said, "there is something more, something brewing under the surface, but I do not understand it," he looked to me again, "it seems, after three centuries, I've come across a gift that is beyond the understanding of my own."

"Is she in danger?" Mother asked.

"Not any more than any other gifted," Father said, his voice soft and soothing, but the tenseness in his shoulders didn't match. I gripped his shoulder and his eyes met mine. Concern swirled in their amber depths.

"Our gifts are a part of us," Eleazar said, something in his voice pulled me to look at him, "do not worry, Elizabeth," he said, "though I do not see clearly what your gift is, I do see that there is no harm coming to you." Though his words eased my fears, the tenseness of Father's shoulders stayed.

"But," Eleazar said, eyes leaving mine, "there is something we have yet to discuss, Cullens. We have met your twins. Now, why are we here?"