The Old Wolf

The Old Wolf

As the last leaves of the year fell from the trees and were replaced by the first snow, a wolf moved slowly thru the forest.
He was thin and the good days were far behind.
As the evening slowly turned into night, he entered a small clearing and lay down to rest.
He closed his eyes and thought to himself that he had lived a good life.
He had been known for his strength, diligence, and good heartedness.
He felt at peace.

A fox strolled thru the forest and spotted the weak wolf.
From a distance he scrutinized the wolf.
After thinking to himself for a moment, he walked up to the wolf and asked "What are you doing here?"
The wolf took a deep breath, opened his eyes again and addressed the fox: "I am tired and will rest here."
Fox: "You look hungry!"
Wolf: "I am."
Fox: "Why don't you have something to eat then?"
Wolf: "I am too weak to hunt."
Fox: "You don't need to hunt."
Wolf: "What do you mean?"
Fox: "I'll help you!"
This friendliness lightened the wolf's heart, but the fox continued: "You see, the farmer that lives near the forest has a large chamber filled with delicious foods. I go there frequently myself."
Wolf: "I will not turn into a thief on my last days."
Fox: "Are you saying that I am a thief?"
The wolf didn't want to insult the fox.
Fox: "The farmer takes the food from the land and steals it from other animals."
The wolf tried to find a flaw in the fox's argument, but failed to do so before the fox continued: "That aside, it is well known that the farmer has much more than he needs!"
"Hmm, it is well known." the wolf thought.
Fox: "You go and fetch the food while I prepare this place for our meal!"
Wolf: "Why don't you go?"
Fox: "Do you know how to prepare the place?"
The wolf did not know.
Wolf: "It does not make a difference."
Fox: "It saddens me to see you this unhappy. I only want to make you happy with a last feast!"
The wolf grew tired of arguing and gave in.

It was a dark night. The snow clouds hid the moon and with that the wolf's approach to the food chamber.
After entering the chamber he nervously looked around and quickly took the nearest food he could find and ran of with the loaf of bread.
Exhausted from running he entered the clearing again.
The fox was busy arranging leaves and pushing snow around.
He turned to the wolf and smiled at him, but when he saw the loaf of bread his smile turned into a frown.
Fox: "Why did you only bring bread?"
Wolf: "It was the closest thing to the door and I didn't want to get caught."
Fox: "Ah well, it can't be helped then. You'll just have to go again and fetch some meat! Don't worry about the farmer. He never caught me and I've been there often!"
The wolf didn't like this one bit, but the fox went on to say: "Just imagine friend how much nicer your feast would be with some meat!"

Less nervous than the previous time the wolf entered the chamber.
After having a good look around, he took the largest piece of meat he could find and returned to the clearing in the forest.

The fox was still busy moving things around and the wolf thought to himself that it indeed really did look nice here.

The fox went up to the wolf and in a sorrowful voice said: "I have to apologize, I'm not done here yet. Could you wait a little longer?"
After a pause the fox said: "You know, since I'll need more time to prepare the clearing, can you get some sausages. I really love those!"
Wolf: "I am hungry and tired and I can't run anymore."
Fox: "You don't need to run. Take your time."
Wolf: "But the farmer will catch me."
Fox: "I am not worried at all. The farmer didn't catch you the previous two times and won't this time either."

The wolf already knew the drill and didn't even try to argue with the fox anymore.

The clouds were gone and the moon lit the farm as the wolf sneaked into the chamber again.
He searched for a minute, but was not able to find any sausages.
Disappointed he carried himself out into the open and then towards the clearing.
When he reached the clearing he was very tired.
The clearing was a mess. The fox was gone and the only food there were a few crumbs of bread scattered on the ground.
The wolf was overcome by anger and sadness.
He cursed the fox and how gullible he himself had been.
He regretted his deeds deeply.
Strengthened by the resolve that he needed to be punished he used his last strength to again go to the farm and enter the chamber.
There he waited for the morning light and his punishment.

The wolf lay with open eyes when the door was opened by the farmer.
The wolf lay still on the ground awaiting his end.
The farmer was visibly angry, but after a second asked in confusion: "Why don't you attack or run away?"
Wolf: "I need to be punished for stealing your food."
Farmer: "Why would you steal food and then give yourself up for punishment?"
The farmer listened patiently as the wolf explained how things came to pass.
When the wolf concluded, the farmer nodded understandingly.
Farmer: "I know that fox. He is a sly one. He kills my chickens and steals from me all the time."
After pondering for a moment the farmer continued: "I am moved by your honesty and repentance. If you are willing, I would like to make you an offer. You can stay with me and alarm me whenever that wretched fox comes. In turn, I will give you food and a warm place to sleep."

This is how the dog came to live with men.