Sequel: Fragile
Status: Finished! Thanks for the support everyone!

Handle With Care

Lost In The Echo

(Chester's POV)

I had finally did it. I had finally told Jay how I really, truly felt about her. I was in love with her, I loved her. She had this way of getting underneath my outside shell and seeing exactly who I was underneath it all. She supported me and was a fan of my work, she got along great with my friends and wasn't afraid to speak up if she felt something was wrong. I know we had only been friends for only a couple of months and dating for only a little more than a week now, but my feelings were dead set. She was that breath of fresh air that I needed desperately and I didn't care about how long we had been together or really known each other. She had seen and heard enough of my life and I just as much had been through some pretty traumatic events in hers to know that my feelings were real and true. I felt terrible that she had to be put through the motions with my ex being in town but I swore to her that things were going to get better and that she wasn't going to tear us apart. I wouldn't let it.

Although now here I was, dropping her off back at home and heading back to go over to where my ex was probably anxiously awaiting my arrival. "I'll call you after the meeting, okay?" I say to Jay as I grabbed onto her hand softly. She just gave me a small sad smile before getting out and closing the door behind her. I felt my heart sink heavy in my chest as I drove away from her. This was not exactly how I planned on things being after I had just confessed my love for her, but it was to be expected I guess. I know she was still new to the whole serious relationship thing but I knew she was smart and I know she understood a lot more than people gave her credit for. She was beautiful, funny, she wasn't afraid to speak her mind and she definitely had no problem in telling someone how she felt about them to their face. That's mostly what I loved about her, she was just so genuine and free spirited.

As I finally made it to the record company, I instantly noticed my friends come into view once I pulled into the parking lot. I got out and greeted them, obviously not too happy about the circumstances. "So..this is kinda weird." Dave pointed out while we started to head inside. I sighed deeply. He had no idea. "Of course it's weird, you have no clue how weird it is. I'd much rather be unsigned then having to deal with this girl all over again." Mike grunted, probably texting Shae as he scanned over his phone quickly. Again I just sighed, they definitely weren't making things any easier on me. "I'd rather we just all shut up and get this over with so we can go figure things out before Christmas." I snapped finally, everyone seeming to quiet down instantly when we finally got to the double doors of our record company's director. Now that I see his name tag, no wonder it sounded so fucking familiar. "Guys, great to see you again! You're all looking well. How did the video shoot go? You all know my daughter Ashley, don't you?" As we filed inside the large office Ashley appeared beside us, taking a seat directly in front of mine. I tried to keep my eyes away from hers at all times.

I knew I wasn't the only one who could feel the tension rising thick in the air as we all tried to ignore the real reason why we were called here in the first place. I didn't like to hate anyone or keep any sort of grudge for that matter, but what Ashley did was completely unforgivable and the fact that she's here now trying to win her way in and somehow think she's going to get me back is just disgusting to even think about. I would never give up Jay to go backwards to my old life, that wasn't me anymore. I've grown up and had a lot of time to think things through and Ashley wasn't apart of my life anymore no matter how hard she tried to be still.

"It went great, it's being released tomorrow. And yes, we all know Ashley." Mike spoke up, not sounding too enthusiastic about the last part which obviously her father must have noticed by the way he started staring at him. I shook my head, beginning to zone out completely and think about Jay. I wished that I could be with her instead of having to deal with all this. "Chester? Hey, dude!" Joe's voice came suddenly, breaking me away from my thoughts. "Sorry got distracted. What?" Ashley seemed to have a smug look on her face as I finally made eye contact with her, noticing that everyone's faces had changed as well. "Mark says he can get us a full U.S tour starting at the first of next month, right after New Years. The only condition he has is that Ashley gets to come and be our merch seller." I felt my stomach twist in knots, making me feel sick. I wasn't about to let her get what she wanted, I wasn't about to let anyone control the way things worked for my band, I don't care what anyone says, it's either our way or no way at all. "No, I won't have it. Either she doesn't come or we don't tour at all. End of story."

(Jade's POV)

I laid face down on my bed, crying quietly to myself while Melody and KayT were still fast asleep on my floor. I couldn't believe that he said he loved me, that he was falling in love with me. It wasn't that I didn't feel the same because of course I did, I was starting to fall in love with him too. But things just seemed to be moving so quickly and now his ex was trying her hardest to tear us apart. I wanted to destroy that girl limb from fucking limb, but I also didn't want to jeopardize the guys shot at the big time just because of my jealousy and hatred for some damn girl. I know I didn't have to worry about Chester doing anything because I trusted him completely but there was just something that didn't feel right. Ashley was determined to use her dad and his connections to get what she wanted but I knew deep down I was going to try my hardest not to. I guess if I had to sum it up into a few words, I felt like I was just becoming invisible. I kept my nose out of people's business and never interjected unless I really had to. With this situation especially, because I knew their careers were at stake. "You better be crying tears of joy." Came KayT's voice as she appeared next to me, wrapping her arm around my shoulder. I sat up, trying to wipe the tears away.

"He said I love you to me." Instantly Melody shot up too, both girls now covering their mouths with their hands as they stared from one another back to me. "What?! He did?! Oh my God, that is so sweet!" Melody hugged onto me tightly, clearly very happy but I just couldn't reciprocate the feeling. "Jay, why are you so down then? Are you starting to over think this?" I sniffled, shrugging my shoulders. Of course I was over thinking this, I over think everything in my life. That's my main goddamn problem with myself. I could never just accept things for how they were, I always had to have some type of reason or explanation to everything. "But stop it! He loves you and you know that you love him too, it's obvious to anyone that you two are meant for each other! Why are you being so scared for?" I fought off the urge to throw myself into a ball and cry, but the tears still kept falling as I talked quietly. "I'm scared that I'm going to lose him, Mel. I'm scared that we're moving things way too fast. I'm scared that if he goes on tour, he's going to find someone better than me, he's going to be busy becoming so successful that he's going to forget about me. I'm fucking scared that Ashley is going to make him fall for her again." And cue the uncontrollable ugly sobbing.

"Jay stop it, you can't talk like that! Chester clearly has high hopes for you guys and he obviously wants to be with you for well ever! Knock it off." I knew KayT was just trying to be supportive as well but nothing seemed to be working. Then as if things just couldn't get any worse a loud knock at my bedroom door came, revealing Mel's mom and from the look on her face, this couldn't be good news. "Jay, I need to talk to you alone, please." My heart raced as I followed her out to the hallway, closing my door behind us. "What's wrong?" I asked, the panic starting to build up. She put a hand to my shoulder before sighing. "Your father has come to the states trying to get custody of you. He wants you to live with him and your family in Mexico. He's here to speak to you." At that point I don't remember much besides practically collapsing to the ground and fainting. I hadn't seen my dad in over ten years and haven't talked to him in three, so the surprise visit definitely wasn't expected. I couldn't process anything other than the fact that he wanted to take me back with him. I loved my dad and all but I knew barely anything of living over there and my life was already put together here. Plus, I would never abandon my friends or Chester for that matter. I wasn't leaving, no way.

"Jade." Came my father's strong, deep voice from the bottom of the staircase. I froze in place, he looked so much different than the last time I had seen him. He looked more tired and wrinkled like the life had pretty much been sucked out of him. "Come here, Jade." I moved slower then I had realized feeling my head start to spin. When I finally reached him, he embraced me in a tight hug with tears streaming down his face. "I thought I was never going to see you again." I didn't either, to be honest. "Dad, what are you doing here?" I finally spoke up, my voice cracking some. "I've come to take you back. You don't belong here, you belong with your family. I know your mother wasn't able to properly take care of you so I want you to live with me." I bit down hard on the inside of my cheek, not wanting to instantly fire back at him. Regardless of how my mom treated me and all, I still loved her. "I can't, dad. I have my whole life figured out here already. I have amazing friends and her mom that I live with, and my boyfriend." My dad seemed to flinch at the last bit.

He seemed a little less than pleased by my answer but didn't argue much. "Jade, you tried to kill yourself and now you're going to all kinds of things for crazy people. Is that where you met all these people?" I sighed, resting my hands on my hips. I knew how stubborn he could be but I didn't think it was going to be this hard. "Dad none of that matters, what matters is that I am happy, Doesn't it? I haven't tried to hurt myself in over a month and my boyfriend has been more than supportive of everything. He's in a band and is becoming very successful." He ran his hands over his beard, sighing deeply as I wasn't telling him anything he wanted to hear. "Why do you have to be so much like me? Stubborn and tough. I just want what is best for you, do you really think this is it?" I looked away and down at the floor, thinking deeply. Of course I thought this was the best thing for me, I loved my friends and I loved Chester. "Yes dad, I really do think this is the best choice for me. So can you please just let this go and let me be happy?" He put a hand to my face, letting out a defeated sigh.

"I don't know if I can believe that Jade. I'm going to see a lawyer or something and see what they think. I will be here staying for a while until we can figure this mess out. I am sorry but this is how it has to be, you're too young to be living on your own." I broke down at this, falling again to the floor in a fit of sobs. I pounded my fists hard into the floor, screaming angrily as my father left. Why was everyone always trying to treat me like I was just a child? I've been through more than anyone else could ever imagine, I'm not just some invisible person who doesn't have any thoughts or opinions on my own life and my own well being. I was almost an adult for Gods sake! Instantly Melody, KayT, and Melody's mom all surrounded around me and hugged onto me while I cried hard, struggling to even breath. I couldn't believe all this was happening in such a short amount of time. This all seemed too surreal, like I was in some sort of bad dream.

I then suddenly all I could feel was my chest getting way too heavy as I struggled to breath, gasping for air. An intense pain filled my entire body, making me start to cry out in pain. I struggled to make out any sort of words or sounds but it was useless, the pain was just too overbearing to do anything much else but cry. I didn't understand what was happening to me but apparently Mel's mom did. I just remember seeing her face looking completely fuzzy and hearing her scream over to Melody before I had blacked out completely. "Quick, Melody call 911! Jay is going into cardiac arrest! Hurry up!"

(Chester's POV)

By the end of the meeting I had about enough of everything. I was lost completely, I didn't know what to do anymore. Knowing full well that we need the exposure and that there was no way that we couldn't just say no to the tour and abandon the chance to make it big, we had agreed to do it. Thankfully after much pleading and begging though, Ashley's father didn't let her go with us. Especially after I had mentioned the fact that I was that same guy she used to date a few years ago back in Arizona that he just couldn't stand and wanted her daughter to dump him immediately, he definitely wasn't going to let her go. So there was that battle, won fair and square. I know I should be happy about it but there was just something else that kept gnawing at me from the inside. I sat around Mike's house, waiting for him to finish up his talk with Shae about not wanting her to say anything about it to Jay until I had talked to her first. But from the sound of the yelling, it clearly wasn't going too well.

"Chester, you need to go to the hospital, now. Jay had a heart attack." Suddenly came Shae's voice from beside me, tears running down her face as I had just stared at her in complete disbelief, unable to fully understand what she had just said to me. This couldn't be happening, why was everyone trying to keep us apart? I hurriedly climbed into my car with Shae and Mike in the backseat, driving about a hundred miles an hour and I had finally gotten there in what seemed like record time. I raced for the emergency department, instantly seeing Jay being whisked by me in a flash on a stretcher. They were doing chest compression's on her, so it definitely wasn't looking good. "Melody! What happened?!" I asked frantically as I saw her friends come into view. She hugged me tightly as she cried. "She-Her-Her dad came to see her, he wants to take her back to Mexico with him. But she said no, she isn't going because she doesn't want to leave us and you especially. She loves you so much Chester, all she kept saying on the way here before she-she stopped breathing-was-was asking for you and making sure you knew how much you mean to her."

At that moment I couldn't feel anything happening around or to me. She had to hold on, she had to pull through this. I need her, she completes me. I couldn't imagine having to go on without her, we're so right for each other. "You can't go see her until-" I just hugged onto Melody tightly as we both cried loudly, not really wanting to hear much more. She had to pull through, she was going to pull through. I needed her, I love her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Woah, chapter 16 already and I still have more to go! Thank you all for the feedback and support so far, kdennis9 this story wouldn't be possible without you so thank you as always! Hope you are enjoying! Love you all! xo