Sequel: Fragile
Status: Finished! Thanks for the support everyone!

Handle With Care

Heavy

(Jade's POV)

Needless to say, going back home Monday morning was absolutely horrible. My mother waited at the front door once she learned that I was coming home, a pamphlet in hand, ready to talk to me about a treatment facility somewhere in Wyoming. I basically begged for her to wait until group therapy Thursday so she could see that I was really benefiting from the sessions and that she had to understand that Clay was the reason I was in the situation in the first place. But she wasn't having it, so I just kept my mouth shut as she vented out her anger. "No, I won't have you lying about him. You can pretend to be so hurt and misunderstood, but you're just jealous." I stared deep into her eyes, feeling well beyond betrayed. She's picked Clay over me before, but not like that. But thankfully it was now Thursday and I was going to get to see Chester and the girls again. After the incident on Sunday night, she wasn't letting me out of the house or see anyone until I had therapy or any other type of doctors appointment. "I'm going to therapy, mom. I'll be home by 9, we have to stay for crisis prevention. My friend is picking me up." I muttered quickly as I grabbed my backpack and headed out the front door, not stopping to hear her response. Only six more months I'd tell myself before I was finally free to leave this hell hole for a home.

Once I climbed in the backseat of Melody's car, KayT wasted no time in hugging me extra tight. I flinched slightly from the battle wounds on my arms. "Shit, sorry Jay. I was just so worried, especially when Mel told me that your stepfather broke the CD. What a real pain in the ass." KayT said as she narrowed her eyes at the mention of Clay. I just shrugged, keeping my gaze stuck out of the window. When you're not allowed to leave home at all, you really start to miss the simple things like hearing the birds sing and the smell of fresh cut grass and shit like that. "I'm sure Chester will understand, hell you'll probably just get a new CD. And maybe his phone number oooh." KayT now grinned, wiggling her eyebrows up and down. I just laughed, more anxious now than ever to get there.

When we finally got there, we signed in and took our usual seats next to one another, making casual conversation as we waited for the others to arrive. I made sure to wear a black hoodie to keep my arms covered, but the stupid fucking sleeves would occasionally bunch up and reveal a good view of them. I only prayed that no one else would notice especially the counselor or Chester for that matter. A good fifteen minutes had passed before I finally saw the dark brown eyes I had been waiting for. He took his seat across from me and smiled slightly. "Long time no see, ladies. Jay, you're looking nice today." I suddenly felt my face get hot at his comment, me quickly looking away in embarrassment. For fucks sake, why was I being so damn predictable?

Thankfully before anything else could be said, our counselor appeared in front of us, shutting the meeting room door behind him. We all said our hello's before jumping right into the discussion of what our weekend was like. Melody and KayT went first followed by Chester. The three of them practically said the same thing, about spending most of their Saturday at the downtown art showing and running into each other. So by the time my turn came, I honestly had nothing left to say. "Umm..honestly, I was with KayT and Melody, and of course we bumped into Chester, so they all pretty much said all there was to say." I chuckled softly as I leaned back slowly in my seat. I had to adjust my sleeves every so often which started to annoy the hell out of me and bring serious unwanted attention upon myself.

"Well guys, I've been informed that we had an emergency over this weekend, so now I figured it is a good time to start our crisis partnership. I want you all to pair up with someone and follow the instructions on the sheet." My throat tightened up at the moment those words had come from his mouth, making my heart thump hard in my chest. But by the grace of God, he didn't mention anything about who the emergency had happened to, which helped calm me down greatly. I looked up from my spot, already seeing that Chester was hovered over me. I smiled politely at him before following along to our table in the back of the room. "So, I don't mean to put you on trial here Jay, but your sleeves aren't doing a very good job of hiding your injuries there." My face instantly fell as he said that, making me feel completely disgraced in myself. I looked down at the floor, vigorously trying to pull them down farther. It was pretty much useless now.

I suddenly felt a hand on top of mine, making me glance up curiously. Chester had a certain look in his eyes that made me want to open up like a damn book and spill everything out to him. "Don't be embarrassed Jay, I know that we just met, but I'm truly concerned about you. You're my friend, it's my job to listen." I felt my vision start to blur as he talked but I quickly fought off the urge to cry. Knowing damn well that there was no way out of it, I decided to open up minimally to him. "Just a bad time is all, really. My asshole stepdad broke the CD you gave me. Which by the way, I enjoyed the hell out of it. You're super talented, I never would have imagined you could sing like that." I saw his face soften a bit as he squeezed my hand gently. "Thank you, but that's why you're so upset? Or is there more and you don't wanna tell me? I understand either way." I hesitated, playing with the hem of my sweater with my free hand. I didn't want to exactly say everything, but something about him just made me feel somewhat comfortable to talk to him about anything. "Well, I'm not trying to look foolish here, but yeah, that's kinda it. That and he threatened to hurt me for once and my mom doesn't believe me. I know we just met, but I like talking to you. You understand me and don't think I'm crazy. Well, at least I hope not." I forced out a laugh, seeing him now smile at me.

"I like talking to you too, Jay. You're a little crazy, but I like that about you. It makes you, unique. And don't worry about the CD, I'll just give you another one. Just make sure you hide it this time though." It was his turn to laugh now, only he stopped once he realized that we hadn't completed our assignment for the session. "Shit, I guess we should get this done." I just nodded, scanning over it quickly. We were supposed to give our partner our phone numbers and any other way of contacting us in case one of us was in an emergency and needed help or someone to talk to, regardless of the situation. I ultimately would have been too embarrassed to call Chester during something like what happened Sunday, but he insisted nothing was embarrassing at all and that he wanted me to call him for any reason. "You can even text me, you know, in case you feel like saying hello." He said with a sly wink. I giggled a bit, a small blush creeping onto my cheeks. "I'll take you up on that sometime, Chester. But fair warning, I may or may not have two obsessed friends who would die for your number." He laughed again as he turned around and caught Melody and KayT in the act of spying on us. Each of them looked like a deer caught in headlights as they quickly tried to turn away from his gaze.

"See what I mean? And you know, you can text me anytime you like too. Just to say hi or whatever." I replied with a coy wink of my own, making him blush a bit as well. At the end of class, we turned in our papers and my counselor looked over at us, his eyebrow raised. "Mr. Bennington, looks like you've made quite a connection with Miss Martinez haven't you? Jade, Chester is a great crisis partner, he's a veteran at helping." I just smiled before turning on my heels and heading out the door, catching up with Melody and KayT near the benches. "YOU GOT HIS PHONE NUMBER?!" KayT almost yelled, making me cover her mouth fast to keep her quiet. "Shh! He's just my crisis partner!" Melody gasped suddenly, motioning with her eyes that someone was in fact, standing behind me. I turned slowly, uncovering KayT's mouth as I did so, seeing Chester standing there with another CD in his hands. I just grinned cheekily at him, eagerly taking the CD into my grasp. "Thank you so much, you don't have to. But I promise I won't let anything happen to this one." I chuckled, putting it inside of my backpack. He smiled before putting a hand to my shoulder, looking at me with a gleam in his eyes. "Can we talk real quick? Alone?" He looked passed me at Melody and KayT who pretended not to be eavesdropping on our conversation. I just nodded, following him over towards where his car was. "What's up?" I asked slightly concerned. He simply took my hands in his before squeezing them.

"I know sometimes things can be really hard and heavy at some points, but you're not alone. You have your new friends and you have me. If your stepdad ever does anything to harm you, don't hesitate to call me. I'll be there whenever you need me. I'm glad this was able to be fixed, I don't think I could handle losing a new friend already." He then ran his hand cautiously over my cuts, rubbing on the scars carefully. "You're too beautiful to be hurting yourself, Jay. Believe me, I've been there and I still battle with it on a daily, but my friends and music help me get through. Whenever you feel bad, just listen to something that makes you feel good. Try to imagine yourself somewhere else. And I know this may be a long shot, but Linkin Park is putting a show on at the beginning of December in a couple of weeks and I'd love it if you and your friends came." He then handed me a small flyer that I tucked safely away in my back pocket as I tried to wipe away the stray tear that lingered on my face. Fuck, he had such a way with words, it was hard to hide anything from this man. "You're a true gentleman, Mr. Bennington. And I'm sure I can figure out a way to go, Melody and KayT will make me." We both laughed, a feeling starting to form between us. I glanced down at the ground, seeing that he still had a hand holding onto my arm. "Uh, I hate to ruin a good moment, but can I have that back?" He then nervously dropped it fast, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Shit, sorry. Anyways, I'll see you next Thursday Jay. But I mean unless you wanna hangout some other time or anything, you have my number. Or you don't have to, you know, just in case you can or want to." I snickered with an eyebrow raised as he stammered over his words some, becoming flustered. I just reached over and hugged him lightly, closing the small gap between us. "Thank you, seriously. For everything and yes, I'll text you. I'd love to hangout with you sometime." He hugged onto me for a second longer than usually, making me get goosebumps over my whole buddy. When we finally did let go, I noticed he had a small smirk tugging at his lips. "We're seriously damaged, you know that right? I guess that's what drew me to you so easily though. I'll see you soon Jay." He sighed before giving me one last hug, as I just smiled while I walked back to my ever so anxious and wanting to know everything friends were waiting for me. "Oh my God, what the hell was THAT?!" Melody asked with her eyes wide, shaking my some. I just tried to hide the ever growing smile that continued to stay on my face. "Nothing, he just invited the three of us personally to Linkin Park's show in a couple of weeks." I held up the flyer, seeing each of their faces light up with excitement.

"Holy fuck Jay, I love you!" KayT screeched before they each tackled me in hugs, laughing hysterically when we all proceeded to drop to the ground. "See! I told you it was the perfect idea of staying his partner! He totally cares about you!" Melody stated as she took my CD out from my backpack. "We are so listening to this again on the drive home!" I looked up at the sky, blinking back the tears that started to form. I finally felt like maybe things were going to get a whole lot better.
♠ ♠ ♠
And here is chapter 4! Thank you for the continued support kdennis9 and havoc. you two are my only and biggest supporters! So again I do this for you guys! Hope you're enjoying so far! Love you all! xo