Fade Into You

one

"Please return to your vehicles, the ferry will be docking shortly." The conductor announces over the PA system. I fold the corner of my well read copy of Into the Woods and nudge my sleeping brother with my foot. His brows furrow and he lets out an exasperated groan. "C'mon, the ferry's docking." I say, nudging him again. Dylan glares up at me. I roll my eyes in return before making my way to the stairs that lead to the loading area. I hop in the front seat of our Jeep Laredo. Dad greets me with a pat on the knee. Mom is still sleeping in the back seat, her head resting against the cool glass of the car window.
The ferry docks and we slowly make our way off. "Orcas Island." I say as we drive by the large welcome sign.
"The gem of the San Juan Islands." Dylan says, mimicking Dad. It was his selling line when convincing us this move would be great for the family. I can't help by crack a smile.
I peer out of the passenger side window as we pass through the trees, making our way to Eastsound. Dad takes a turn down a long road. Tall pine trees line the gravel road.
"This is nothing like home." Dylan pipes up.
"Well, this is home now." Dad responds as we finally reach the house. I have to admit, I'm impressed. "It's not so bad." He says, taking notice of my interest.
"I guess not." I reply and step out of the car. Even tucked deep into the trees, the temperature is warm. Not at all comparable to sunny Los Angeles, but warm enough.
"It smells weird." Dylan notes.
"It's just the ocean." Dad chuckles.
"The ocean back home doesn't smell like this."
The house is large, larger than our home in L.A. I wander around the side of the house to find that it sits up on a cliff that overlooks the ocean. It really is beautiful, I have to give Dad that much.
"There's a dock down there, it's ours." Dad says, startling me.
"What good is a dock without a boat?"
"Maybe one day." He winks before walking back to the car.
"Mom, we're here." Dylan says, slowly opening her door.
"Margy, I've got our room made up already, so you can lie down." Dad says, taking Mom's arm and helping her out of the car. I turn away, and look for the stairs that lead down the side of the cliff. I make my way down to the empty dock, and take a seat at the end, letting my legs hang over the edge.
It's hard to want to be around Mom when she's like this. A few months ago she gave birth to a still-born, a little girl she was going to name Amelia. It was hard on everyone, but especially Mom. She had the nursery all decorated and ready to go. Mom's been dealing with severe depression ever since. Which is completely understandable, but it seems like she's forgotten we even exist anymore. She just lies in bed all day. Dad got the brilliant idea that moving somewhere new would help her, but I doubt that's the case.
"Deep in thought?" Dylan calls from behind me.
"Don't you know it's rude to sneak up on people?" I tease as he takes a seat next to me. "How is she?"
Dylan shrugs, "I know Dad is convinced she'll suddenly go back to her cheerful self, but I don't know. Sometimes when I talk to her it's like she doesn't even know I'm there. She just looks right through me."
I lock my arm in his and lay my head on his shoulder. "We'll be okay, though. We still have each other."