Status: Active

The Dragon's Vessel

Ablaze

The group was finishing up their hefty meal and conversing with each other when a small flame seemed to appear out of thin air in the kitchen. Within seconds it was growing uncontrollably and engulfing everything in its path.

Natsu finished off eating from his plate and was contemplating licking it clean when he paused suddenly and sniffed the air, frowning. "Did you leave something on the stove, Benkei?" Natsu asked as Gajeel also sniffed the air.

"Something smells like it's caught fire," Gajeel confirmed.

Benkei glanced behind him eyes widened as he jolted up and moved to open the kitchen door, smoke billowed out and fire lashed at him."No! No! No! No! " he chanted, glancing to his customers.

"Everybody out now!" Andrei commanded, grabbing his gear and moving quickly across the room to open the front door of the diner.

Natsu jumped up and moved to push Benkei away, “Get out and call the fire brigade." Natsu stated scanned the walls and spotted a fire extinguisher behind the rising flames. He jumped into action and passed through the flames, grabbing it and turning to assess what type of fire it was. Satisfied he knew he started putting it out.

Benkei by now had made his way out into the restaurant area, clouds of thick smoke had filled the room and he quickly snagged his phone up and dialed the fire department. “Hello, yes there's a fire at the Orchard Diner." Benkei shot a look up the stairs as he sped up to them.

Gajeel had turned to head toward Andrei and the open door but stopped and cursed. "Kimi went to the bathroom!" He yelled to Laxus who had gotten up.

“Always picks the worst times!” Laxus growled out, moving to head towards the bathrooms which were on the opposite side of the dinner.

Kimi exited at the bathroom as Laxus got close and she noticed the black smoke and covered her nose and mouth with her sleeve. "What's happening?!" Kimi exclaimed to Laxus before seeing a flicker of the fire as it started to leak into the restaurant area.

"It's spreading too fast!" Natsu called out, the flames licked at his body but only his clothes were getting charred. "If I had more energy I could just consume it all," he muttered to himself before deciding on his next plans to save the place.

As he turned to leave the kitchen he tossed the empty fire extinguisher away and passed Benkei who was leaping down the stairs and landing with a bag over his shoulder. "The fire department is on the way!" He surged passed to the kitchen.

“Come on, let’s go!” Andrei shouted, getting frustrated that everyone seemed to be milling around.

"Coming!" Benkei replied, covering his mouth and coughing as he turned and watched in shock as the flames danced around Natsu. 'Why is he not burning?' Benkei though inwardly.

Gajeel turned to motion Benkei to get out as Natsu exited the kitchen, passing the flames with ease to approach Kimi and tugging her behind Laxus as he stuck her free fingers in his mouth and suckled.

"You're gonna save this place," Kimi confirmed as her eyes glowed purple.

Natsu nodded as his eyes burned liquid fire before he stopped feeding and stepped away, catching Kimi as she stumbled and handing her over to Laxus. Natsu turned and went to confront the flames with new found strength, he sucked in and the fire seemed to disappear into his mouth as if he were eating it like a slushie.

Confused Benkei sped out the front door but not before spotting what Natsu was doing with the flames, "what the fuuuucccckkk," he muttered as Laxus came out carrying Kimi with him. Gajeel was already standing next to Andrei.

When the fire had been dealt with Natsu was the last person to leave the diner. Smoke billowed out of the building but otherwise, the blaze had mostly been contained to the kitchen, upper floor and around the front counter.

Natsu stopped in front of the group, his shirt, pants, and shoes were holey and singed but otherwise, everyone seemed unscathed.

"What the hell was that.. that wasn't my doing." Benkei questioned, "and you ate fire..." he gestured to Natsu, using his hands to gesture wildly, "and your clothes they’re burnt but you’re fine?" Benkei ran his hands through his hair. "I have so many questions…”

"I guess we might as well tell him." Andrei looked to Kimi. He tried to not look unhappy about it.

Natsu's eyes widened having forgotten that Benkei was there. He turned to the others and rose a fist. "Should I knock him out?" He whispered loudly to his Weyr.

Kimi glanced to Andrei and shook her head, "why are you looking at me?" She questioned as she lowered Natsu's fist.

Benkei pinched the bridge of his nose. "Can someone please tell me what just happened, please?" he said sounding exasperated.

"I'm a superhuman with toughened skin. That's why I chose to be a firefighter." Natsu tried to cover. "As for the eating part I have no idea what you're talking about, maybe you were seeing things?" Natsu shrugged.

"Rigggghhhhttt" Benkei drawled, he glanced about the others. "Anyone else want to try lie to me or am I going to get the truth?"

The group exchanged looks and Natsu huffed, thinking his explanation had been pretty good.

"What do you want us to say? We're not normal. Bad stuff happens to us." Gajeel frowned.

"We're sorry for what happened to your diner Benkei." Kimi interrupted Gajeel. "Natsu is special, they all are but if we told you the truth you wouldn't believe us," Kimi responded.

Benkei let out a sigh. "Well, I saw some pretty unbelievable stuff just now, still not sure I entirely believe it." He glanced behind him to the diner. "Either way you helped me out in a rough spot,”

"We're going on a camping trip soon, if you join us they can show you what they are," Kimi mentioned as a fire truck arrived and some colleagues of Natsu's jumped out. Natsu went to go talk to them, leaving the group in a rush.

Benkei thought for a moment. "That sounds good to me. Yeah, I'd be game to join. Finally get some answers.”

"People who know what we are aren't safe." Gajeel retorted a warning.

"Aren't safe?" Benkei questioned before changing the subject, "Wonder what caused the fire."

"There's a lot you don't know Benny and finding out will make you a target. Are you prepared for that kind of responsibility?" Kimi warned. The more she stressed the point the more tired she seemed to look. The dark rings under her eyes, her sickly pale skin, and her disheveled hair.

Benkei thought for a moment thinking about how everything that has happened recently and how Kimi looked now. "I feel like even interacting with you and your family puts me at risk," Benkei said.

"Then we'll go and never bother you again." Kimi declared, turning to head to Laxus' car.

Benkei remained silent as he watched Kimi turn to leave. "Wait." He finally called, walking forward a few feet. "I’d hate to leave things like this between us. Between all of you. Whatever is thrown at me, I'll handle it."

Kimi stopped walking away and turned to look at Benkei with tears in her eyes. "I'm glad," she tried to wipe the tears that fell down her face. "I'm so tired of having to give up friendships and homes over this." She cried.

Benkei was taken aback by the fact that Kimi was crying and a smile crept up on to his face. "You guys will always have a home here at the diner,” Benkei paused to look at the firefighters entering and exiting it. “Once I get it back up and running, that is.” He concluded.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter 21 one done and dusted

What are your thoughts so far on this story?

Anything that needs to be improved?