Status: Active

The Dragon's Vessel

Expended

"I need some help" Ryujin called out to Nastu, sounding slightly hysterical, "Benkei's been shot!"

Natsu stood up, hyper-aware of what was going on but wary as Ryujin dragged Benkei out of the warehouse, "What's wrong?" Natsu sniffed the air but couldn't smell anything. "No blood, that's always a good sign... unless it's internal." He helped Elizabeth up and went over to Ryujin and Benkei.

Benkei began to cough profusely. "Ryujin, Ryujin. I'm good!” Benkei tried to calm Ryujin down, freeing himself from Ryujin to show him that he was wearing a bulletproof vest. "Sneaky bastard pulled a fast one on me" he grimaced, patting the area that the bullet had struck him. Elizabeth hugged Benkei in relief.

"No blood? Yeah... just what I thought," Ryujin decided it was time to sit down, he had been so panicked he hadn’t even bothered to check, he was meant to be the cool-headed calm leader that everyone looked up too.

Benkei stretched as the bullet dislodged itself and fell out of the place where he had been shot. "Wasn't about to go into this entirely unprepared." Benkei chuckled as he then glanced down at Elizabeth. "Heya Izzy, how are you feeling?" He asked with a voice filled worry.

Elizabeth managed a smile, "fine Natsu looked after me."

Benkei glanced at Natsu and gave him a grateful nod before turning back to the warehouse, “did he?”

“Shot himself in the head,” Ryujin winced, “he was smiling the whole time, I think he actually thought he had finished you off.”

Benkei shook his head, speechless.

Natsu turned to Ryujin and smirked, "you also thought Benkei was dead Jin?!" He snickered, trying to lighten the mood, "you're really getting to be an old man," he mocked teasingly, turning to Benkei, “you can’t save everyone Benkei,” Natsu informed, knowing Benkei would be feeling shitty for not being able to get Matt help.

"I may be old but I’ll still kick your puny ass," Ryujin muttered, shaking a fist at Natsu.

Natsu gasped, “you watch your mouth old man,” he mocked.

Ryujin rolled his eyes and walked off to the jeep. 'Shit I really am losing my touch,' he thought as his phone rung and he was surprised to see Mira calling, he indicated to the others he was going to take the call and picked up, walking further away for more privacy.

Image


Benkei drove everyone back to the Weyr household, he had sent an anonymous text to the police helpline letting them know there had been shots heard at a certain location.

Once they arrived back Natsu got out and helped Elizabeth out before turning to look at his home, even though it was really late the lights were on and Erik was opening the door for them all.

When Natsu ushered Elizabeth inside Wendy was seen awake and sitting next to Kimi on the couch.

"Where's Jin?" Kimi asked tiredly, noticing their blue-haired leader wasn’t with them.

"Oh, Mira called and he said he needed to take off," Natsu replied, just remembering he wasn't with them.

Benkei by this point had also headed inside. He stripped himself of his weapons and now leant against the doorway to the lounge area.

"What a night." He muttered, feeling stiff and sore.

Wendy stood up and went over to Elizabeth, helping Natsu set her down. "How awful," Wendy's lip wobbled and she took her hands and closed her eyes, focusing on dulling Elizabeth's pain. A faint white glow emanated from her hands and slowly Elizabeth's surface wounds began to heal.

Benkei smiled, folding his arms and watching this all unfold. "Thank you, Wendy," Benkei said.

Elizabeth reached out grabbing Wendy's hand. "Thank you, Dragon Fairy," she exclaimed, a lot of her pain had subsided.

Wendy opened her eyes and blushed, "it's no problem, I healed as much as possible even your broken ribs but they'll still be bruised at least." Wendy explained, feeling her powers were rather low.

"You did really well Wendy, I knew you could help!" Kimi encouraged, her eyes glowed purple and Wendy could feel her energy return.

Erik snapped his head toward Kimi, "stop!" He growled but he was too late as Kimi wheezed, growing sickly pale and sinking back against the couch. "Ah, sorry," Kimi murmured, feeling nauseous she closed her eyes and her breathing relaxed as she fell unconscious.

Benkei moved on toward Wendy ruffling the small girl’s hair. "Well done, don't stress yourself out too much alright.?" Benkei then glanced at Kimi, "has she always been like this.?" He asked Erik

"Been like what?" Wendy asked curiously before Erik could reply.

Benkei paused for a moment. "Has she always been this nice?" Benkei clarified while thinking his real answer, 'Has she always been this sacrificial?'

"Of course!" Wendy exclaimed without missing a beat, not understanding Benkei's underlying question.

"Yes," Erik responded to Benkei's true thoughts. "The first time I met Kimi she transferred to the high school I went too. I was the weirdo loner that people liked to pick on. She could have easily been a popular girl but she stood up for me. Made herself a target as well and she didn't even know me. The first time we made eye contact I augmented to her-"

"And they've pretty much been inseparable ever since," Wendy cut in, finishing Erik's story with a grin.

Benkei huffed. "Ah" he nodded in understanding. "Guess she needs to keep up on the training then maybe that'll help her stamina with you all,"

Erik nodded, "it's good she's been open-minded to train with you, Andrei and Laxus had to do a lot of coaxing just to get her to keep her fitness up," he rubbed the back of his head.

Benkei chuckled, "I'll do my best to keep her motivated then."

"Hey, was he the one that set your diner on fire?" Erik questioned quickly, changing the subject as he remembered something.

"Yup," Benkei said in reply. "He had it out for me ever since I got him kicked out of the military," Benkei then glanced on over to Elizabeth, "reckon it's safe to take her home?" he asked aloud.

Erik assessed Benkei before nodding, "yeah? Why wouldn’t you be?” He asked, confused at why Benkei was still worried.

Benkei simply shook his head dismissively, “no reason, I'm going to take Elizabeth home. She'll need some rest after tonight's shit show." Benkei moved over and helped her up. "Come on Izzy let's get you home."

Elizabeth nodded, rubbing her eyes tiredly and letting her brother help her up. "Thanks again, everyone. I really appreciate everything you’ve done," she smiled warmly, spotting Natsu. "Thanks again for saving me!" She exclaimed to him, "you are my hero!"

Natsu laughed loudly, "it was nothing!" He said brushing her comment off, though the blush on his cheeks would say otherwise.

Elizabeth smiled, "see you around!" She replied as Benkei helped her out the door and Erik watched them head off before closing and locking the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh boy, eight new chapters in the span of 48 hours.

I couldn't have done it without Laxxy and B so thank you for all your help!

Previously I hadn't updated it in over a year! Time has flown by since I started this story and I'm nowhere near close to finishing it!