Status: I wrote this story literal years ago. Updates will be slow, lol.

Micki Wall, Matchmaker

Fiona v. Sydney

I went over to Sydney's office to inform her that Fiona would be coming up to our job, and that Mike wanted her to stay cool. "As long as he doesn't force me to interact with her, I'm good."

"Syd, he wants to reintroduce y'all."

"Oh, fuck that. Not happening."

I crack up at her, while stirring my coffee.

"I'm suprised she even dares to come back up in here, after disrespecting us and attacking our character. Fuck that, I'm not wit' it."

"Not everyone is gonna like us. She could've done without saying gays are gross, especially in a work place that she isn't familiar with, but whatever." I said.

"Aight, I will try my hardest. I'ma need a damn drink." Sydney says.

I stare holes into her.

"Alright, damn. I can settle for a Sprite."

"Speak of the devil." I say when Fiona came through the door only a few minutes later.

Mike held her by the waist and reaquainted his wife with me. "This is my co-worker, Micki. You met her last time."

"Oh, hello." she says, trying to be polite.

"So, how have you been? How are the kids?"

"They're fine. Jaques just made honor roll and Helena just graduated to grade school."

"Oh, wow. That's awesome."

Surprisingly, Fiona didn't seem to remember that she freaked out on Sydney because she liked women, and found out that I, too, was a homo. We might actually get through this little meeting without someone dying.

She then walked over to Sydney, who had an attitude already.

"Fiona, this is Sydney, you've seen her already."

"Yeah, I remember her." Fiona says to Mike.

"Yeah, kind of hard for me to forget such a fiasco."

"Listen, I would like to apologize for my behavior. I didn't realize how ignorant I sounded."

"You did sound pretty uneducated."

Fiona mouth tightened. "I said I was sorry."

"And I'm supposed to just take that and run? No." Sydney said, matter-of-factly. She looked at me, and I made a face at her.

It was a "oh my fucking God" face. All Sydney did was shrug her shoulders. Neither of us needed this bullshit in our lives.

"..I tried, Michael." Fiona says to her husband.

"How 'bout you try to rot in Hell."

I go to grab Sydney by her arm.

"I apologize for her behavior, y'all." I said, before pushing her into a nearby empty room.

"Sydney, what the fuck? Do you wanna get Mike mad at you?"

"I could care less. He needs to check his bitch."
"C'mon Syd, that's his wife."

"....And? My bad. I'm just annoyed that her ignorant ass still gets to live and breathe, while my girl actually had an open mind. She donated to charity, volunteered. and worked with troubled teens.

"Sydney, Fiona was being cordial. She apologized! And what do you do? Cuss her ass out. Syd, you gotta grow up a little."

____________

Later that night, I'm laid up with Chez telling her everything that went on at work. "She stresses me out with all this extra shit she does, you know?"

"When did you become her mama?" Chez asks, looking up at me.

I twirl her hair in my hands until I can find the words to answer that question.

"I just feel so protective of her. We've been friends a long time, and I always feel the need to just tell her to chill out. A babysitter, really."

"Babe, don't worry about her. She. Is. Grown. When you gon' get that through your thick skull? Huh?"

"So what, I'm supposed to shake off my protectiveness? How would you feel if your daughter was 23, and I told you she was old enough for you to back up out of her life."

"Oh, I'd curse yo ass out."

"I know Syd didn't come from my vag, but... she's like a younger sibling, except older."

"I know how you feel. I agree, she's gotta grow up. And so do you."

"So do I?" I asked. "What do you mean?"

"You still hiding us from Sydney?"

"..Yeah." I answered shyly.

"Why, babe? I want the whole world to know we're together. I wanna go down the street with you and my daughter with a huge smile on my face, not you looking around every two seconds for Sydney."

"I'm sorry. I'm just really competitive with bets. I just knew I was gonna prove her wrong. But my feelings got involved and confused everything."

Chez gets up from my chest. "I need you to tell her, Mick."

"Fine." I said, in a defeated tone.

"I'm giving you 48 hours."

Kill me now, Lord. Please do it.