Status: Just starting, updates randomly.

Darkness

Chapter two

A sound in the tree's alerted him. Slowly, Darkness cracked open his eyes, expecting to see the Guardian from earlier, mocking him as before. Instead, his eyes met nothing. Though the strange light around him gave way to daylight. How long had he been sleeping? The sun was just starting to rise, which meant he had time if he could manage enough strength to get to the forest.

Pulling himself up a little, he found his body wracked with pain. A yowl left him and he growled. It was then that a twig snapped. Flicking his gaze in the direction of the sound, he saw a young child. Eye narrowed, his survival instinct kicked in first, and he growled at the poor thing. It was trembling behind a thick tree, face buried against the rough bark. It wasn't much of a threat. Then again, neither had the other children he had seen during the night, and one of them had cause this position he was in now.

Trying once more, he hauled himself up on his paws. The human said something, though he could understand it, he was unable to talk to the creature. Such was the downfall of being a different species. Darkness made it all of one step, before hitting the ground, hard. Too much pain, his muscles were still too weak, and he had lost far too much blood to be comfortable. He would likely die here. Closing his eyes, he let out a huff, ready to accept his fate. Clearly life didn't have much in the cards for him.

He considered his past, how wasted it had been, dwelling on trying to make everyone else content. He had fallen so low, been beaten too many times by words, and for what? If he was bound to meet his maker on a day like this, he might as well have forsaken everything he knew. The strangest sensation tugged at him, and for a moment, Darkness thought a scavenger was at his corpse.

He was too weak to lift his head, and so he growled. Whatever grip was on him flexed for a moment as though he had startled the being. Forcing himself to risk a glance, he was surprised to see the young human. No that wasn’t accurate. This human looked to be at least a teen. Wait...why was this human touching him? What was going on? In a bolt of fear and adrenaline Darkness hauled himself to his feet, pushing himself a few inches away from the two legged being. A growl tore free and he watched as the human raised its hands up. The thing muttered something quietly as it crouched.

Darkness had never seen a human submit itself to a lower look before. Typically if it wasn’t a lost child, it was some grown two legged with a gun. His legs were shaking with the effort it took to hold himself up, and with the sun quickly rising, the glowing markings in his fur were fading. A quick look around said there was nowhere he could run to. The human took a step closer, and Darkness moved to step away, ears flattening against his head. Perhaps if he took a note from the human and looked less vile it would leave him be?

Lowering his tail he hunkered low for a moment, even closed his eyes as though it were all just a bad dream. Upon being touched, he lashed out, snapping his teeth. He nearly bit into the humans hand. The boy had quick reflexes however, lucky for him. Once again the human moved closer, and Darkness closed his eyes, hoping his end would come quickly.

Something smoothed over the fur on his head, once, twice, a third time. Another motion came just under his muzzle, gently scratching. Opening his eyes he let out a soft and questioning growl. The human said something along the lines of ‘it will be okay’ and while he wasn’t so sure of that, at least the blasted thing didn’t have a weapon.

Darkness lost the last of his strength then, and fell unconscious. He was only aware of small snippets of time, as he would come to for a few seconds here and there. One scene presented him with some kind of pallet. A blanket tied to sticks by the looks of it. Another had his feet dragging on the ground, and the forest moving past his eyes slowly. The one that confused him the most, was seeing a fire nearby, the floors smelled of the forest, but they were hard like a humans version of a cave. Had the human brought him in doors? Why? He lifted his head ever so slightly to get a better look, but the motion and pain knocked him out.