Status: Just starting, updates randomly.

Darkness

Chapter Three

He awoke to the faintest smell of ash. Cracking his eyes open, he was met with the dying embers of a fire. A faint orange glow still clinging to them. Slowly, Darkness lifted his head in order to get a better look around. There were walls, made of tree's, and the floor beneath him was hard and flat, but the smell of wood was unmistakable.

Slowly, he hauled himself to his feet, ignoring the worst of his injuries. Much to his pleasure the wounds were no longer dripping. He would live. A dull sound interrupted his thoughts. Creeping towards the sound, led him out of the main room and into a narrow hall. Lowering his body closer to the floor, he kept as quiet as the night itself.

There was light pouring into the hall from a cracked door, the light was faint and patterned. How strange. Perhaps the stars themselves were lighting up the room somehow? Pushing his nose against the door, he wedged the thing open and went to step through, only to be halted as something pulled on him.

Twisting around he snapped his teeth in warning, only to frown at the white materials hanging between his shoulder and the door. Bandages? When did that happen? Giving a good tug, he managed to tear off the ones around his shoulders, though it caused him to roll into the room from the force it took. His rear collided with a bookshelf, and a bunch of things fell down.

Scrambling to his feet he dove off to the left. He only had a moment or two to admire a stunning lantern that reminded him of the night sky, before something moved on the bed beside him. The person screamed. Darkness flattened his ears against the noise and ducked down with his tail between his legs. Unbeknownst to him, he had woken the younger sibling of the one who had brought him here.

In a panic as shouting started, Darkness grabbed the lantern and ran out of the room as quickly as his paws would carry him. "Wait!" He could hear behind him, but fear propelled him forward. Knife lights were not supposed to be in the homes of people. People didn't like them because they looked too much like wolves. And Darkness knew his look was less favorable due to the fierce expression he had been born with. It was better to leave.

Taking off through the forest at such a pace however, he had lost his way even before he had gotten started. Panting hard, he fought not to drop the lantern. What was he thinking? The humans would probably come after him for it, and if he didn't slow down, the small flame might flicker out. Slowly he eased up, his paws hitting the ground at a lesser pace. Panting hard, he set the lamp down to look it over. Nothing was broken, and the light still flickered, casting shapes around him.

When he was certain it wasn't going out any time soon, he picked it up and walked to the largest tree he could find. Curling up under the thing, he thought back. The dawn had been coming when the human had taken him away. It was night again now...how long had he been out? All day? More than a day? His ears picked up on a sound in the distance. Flicking towards the sound he listened for a few moments as he raised his head up, looking in the direction he had come from. "Mister Wolf? Mister Wolf!?" A soft growl left Darkness. Were they still following him?
♠ ♠ ♠
Next update is TBA