I Know I Was for a While

15: It’s Something

Lightly toying with the bottom of her skirt, Camila chewed on her lip, her eyes scanning her appearance uncertainly. It had surprised her, when Lionel had mentioned that he had plans to go to a New Year’s Eve party that Gerard was hosting, she hadn’t been expecting an invitation, but Lionel had been quick to offer one, something Camila had found hard to turn down, even if a small part of her was nervous about spending the night surrounded by Lionel’s friends. She knew that they knew what was going on, with her having been staying at Lionel’s house for a couple of months, she’d bumped into more than one of them when they’d come to visit the argentine, but still she was a little apprehensive, even if Lionel had been quick to assure her that he’d stick by her side all night if she wanted him to. She couldn’t seem to shake the slight pang on nervousness which existed in the pit of her stomach.

Messing with her skirt, she frowned a little to herself before the sound of a light knock at the door reached her ears, something which caused her to shake her head. “Come in, Leo” she called.

Lionel, who’d been politely waiting on the other side of the door, gently nudged it open before he stepped inside, a soft smile spreading over his face as he looked at her. “You look beautiful” he complimented warmly.

Camila’s cheeks flushed a bright shade of pink before she shook her head, offering the mirror another uncertain look. “You’re not just saying that, are you?” she asked softly “I mean, I’ve tried a couple of different dresses, but this is the one that I think looks best. You really think it’s OK?” she added, her fingers pulling at the bottom of her skirt.

Lionel looked her up and down for a second before he quirked a grin, offering her a nod. “I do” he confirmed.

Camila offered him a slightly uncertain look before she shook her head, something which caused Lionel to step a little closer to her, his fingers gently brushing against her hand which still fiddled with the bottom of her skirt. Camila jumped a little, surprised by the light touch, before she looked up at him, her expression slightly timid. “Tell me there’s nothing to be worried about” she mumbled.

Lionel breathed out a small laugh. “There’s nothing to be worried about” he repeated “It’s a party, Mila, with a group of people that you know and that you know like you, and there’s no reason for you to be nervous about it, but if you are, then we can stay here. I’m sure that we can come up with something to do until midnight” he offered gently.

Camila offered him a look, briefly mulling over his offer over, before she shook her head, her fingers gently brushing against his. “You don’t have to do that” she noted.

Lionel, who’d been watching their fingers, looked up at her, his dark eyes mirroring hers. “I know I don’t” he mused “But I thought I’d offer you an out. I’d rather cancel than listen to you complain for the rest of the night” he added, flashing her a boyish smile.

Camila scoffed, something which made Lionel laugh before he shook his head. “You really want to come?” he asked.

Camila hesitated for a second before she nodded her head slowly, something which caused Lionel to flash her a small grin before he took a pace away from her. “I’ve already called a taxi” he noted “It should be here in about five minutes. Are you going to be ready?” he asked as he stepped towards the bedroom door, offering her a look over his shoulder.

Camila nodded. “I should be” she noted.

Lionel grinned at her. “You’ve got nothing to be worried about” he repeated before he stepped out of the room.

~#~
Swirling the last of her water around the bottom of her glass, Camila picked her head up slightly, her dark eyes catching Lionel’s as he spared her a glance from across the room, his face brightening with a familiar smile. It had been a good night, despite Camila’s reservations about attending the party that Gerard was throwing, she had quickly relaxed and started to enjoy herself, and she was glad that she’d gone along with Lionel, even if she hadn’t spoken to him that much since they’d arrived at the defender’s home. She was glad that she hadn’t ducked out.

Rolling her eyes playfully, she offered Lionel a quick grin before the sound of someone sitting down beside her caught her ears, causing her to turn, her eyes settling on Gerard who’d plopped into the seat beside her.

Grinning, the defender lifted his hand, offering out a bottle of water towards her. “You look like you could use another” he mused.

Camila smiled back at him. “That’s sweet of you” she mused.

“I’d love to claim that it was my idea” Gerard quipped “But Shakira sent me over. She said something about it having been my idea to host a party in the first place” he added, his voice warm and playful.

Camila laughed quietly before she moved to unscrew the lid of the bottle, allowing a beat of silence to pass between her and the defender before Gerard cleared his throat, something which made Camila quirk a small smile. “You can just ask about it, you know” she quipped.

Gerard, who’d been trying to think of the right thing to say, blinked a couple of times at the sound of her voice before he shook his head. “Ask about what?” he asked.

“About me and Leo” Camila replied, offering him a knowing smile “You’re not so subtle, Gerard” she added.

Gerard smiled sheepishly.

“Just ask” Camila encouraged gently.

“You don’t mind me asking?” Gerard asked “I mean, I get it if you don’t want to talk about it” he added gently.

Camila shook her head. “I don’t mind” she replied.

Gerard nodded to himself, taking a couple of seconds to think of the right thing to say, before he quirked a small smile. “You know he cares about you, right?” he asked “I mean, of course does, you two are friends, but that’s not quite what I mean. He...” he trailed off as he looked up at Camila, searching her face for a reaction. He didn’t want to reveal too much, with Lionel tending to be pretty secretive when it came to what was going on between him and Camila, he had no idea whether or not the brunette knew that the argentine had romantic feelings towards her, and he didn’t want to be the one who told her, even if he had approached her with hopes of having a conversation about the argentine. He didn’t want to put Lionel in an awkward position.

Camila grinned, amused by how flustered the defender looked, before she shook her head. “I know” she mused.

“You do?” Gerard asked.

“I do” Camila confirmed “And he knows that I...I care about him too, but other than that, there’s not really a lot to say about us. It’s something, Gerard, and I hope it’s something good, but neither one of us is in a hurry” she added, sparing a briefly glance down towards her bump.

Gerard followed her stare, admiring the bump for a second, before he smiled up at her. “I hope it works out” he mused “You and Leo...I like it” he added impishly.

“Your opinion matters most, Geri”

Gerard scoffed at the sarcastic tone of Lionel’s voice before he turned to look at him, grinning at him impishly. “What can we do for you, Leo?” he chirped.

Lionel shook his head. “It’s nearly midnight” he replied, sparing a shy look towards Camila.

Gerard caught the look between them before he quickly pushed himself up to his feet, a teasing smirk on his face. “Say no more” he quipped “I should go and find Shakira anyway” he added before he turned to walk away, stopping only to flash Lionel a playful wink.

Lionel rolled his eyes before he turned to Camila, trying to hide the slight hint of pink which had spread over his cheeks. “He’s an idiot” he muttered.

Camila smiled. “You love him really” she teased.

Lionel offered her a playfully dubious look, something which made her giggle before she shook her head, her eyes shyly peeking down towards her feet as the countdown to midnight started around them. Lionel watched her, his expression equally shy, before he took half a pace forwards, gently brushing his fingers against her hand.

Camila smiled at the gentle touch before she lifted her head fractionally, catching his stare as the countdown reached five. Holding his stare, she took a little step forwards before Lionel gently lifted his other hand, brushing a few loose hairs off of her cheek. Leaning into his hand, she flashed him another small smile before he leant towards her, brushing a hesitant kiss over her lips before he attempted to step back, something Camila stopped, encouraging him to kiss her again. Lionel hesitated for a split second before he leant back into her, holding her close as cheers for the New Year echoed around them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to mslou1, FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)